StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• edited April 2016

@CothermanDistilling said: Makin a batch of gin...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GihRPV1tOKk

Michael , your radio personality voice is really coming along nicely :)

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• He needs a camera operator

• Teaching the second last grandkid (7 yo) gun safety and to shoot accurately with the gamo air rifle. She's hitting a beer can at 20m 7 out of 8 shots on her first outing the champ.

I've taught them all gun safety and how to handle a gun as they came of this sort of age, the eldest (22 yo) is a spectacular shot and could do it as a sport easily if she pursued it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• One of my last memory's of my Pop. Good times.

• edited April 2016

@punkin said: Teaching the second last grandkid (7 yo) gun safety and to shoot accurately with the gamo air rifle. She's hitting a beer can at 20m 7 out of 8 shots on her first outing the champ.

I've taught them all gun safety and how to handle a gun as they came of this sort of age, the eldest (22 yo) is a spectacular shot and could do it as a sport easily if she pursued it.

They will remember you teaching them for the rest of their lives..

fondest memories, were the day i shot the remington sportsmaster 512 22 for the first time
    I do not know my age, I remember standing tip toe at a fold out card table
    barely able to hold the gun level.
    as I looked down that barrel, my dad whispering in my ear...take your time, line the site up on your target, squeeze the trigger.do not jerk it.

that was back in the 60's, i still have that remington, still use it, and when i do.
    i can hear dad whispering in my ear...squeeze the trigger

Dads gun rules
    That gun is loaded, even if is not loaded it is to be treated as if it is
    Do no point a gun at anything you do not intend to kill
    do not put your finger on the trigger till you are ready to shoot
    that gun is loaded, even if it is not loaded it is to be treated as if it is

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
  • Dads gun rules That gun is loaded, even if is not loaded it is to be treated as if it is Do no point a gun at anything you do not intend to kill do not put your finger on the trigger till you are ready to shoot that gun is loaded, even if it is not loaded it is to be treated as if it is

Exact same rules here and they have all repeated it a few times under questioning before they have been allowed to touch a rifle.
    It's asked a few times during a session and it's enforced that nobody is to walk in front of a gun that's just been shot and resting on the bench, it's loaded even though you've just seen it fired. Point at the ground or at the sky, make sure there's a backstop if you miss, not a house, a road or someones cattle.

Nobody crosses a fence without laying their gun down at the next strand and then once everyones crossed the fence the guns are retrieved from the grass.

Yada yada but basic safety will take you a long way and prevent you being in situations where you need to take action against a person who hasn't been drilled as a child.
    I think we've all been there with the gung ho maverick.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 102K
  • edited April 2016

Navy_Football_Game.jpg
    800 x 518 - 117K
  • @punkin said: I think we've all been there with the gung ho maverick.

Yep. All guns are always loaded. First rule. After a few years of that in the brain, then it can change to "Treat all guns like they are loaded."

Teaching a kid to shoot is a lost art. Good on ya Punkin.

• edited April 2016

My dad carried guns for a living. He refused to allow any in the house while I was growing up.

My first time handling a firearm was at BSA Camp Goshen in 1967. Single shot .22 Got my Rifle Shooting merit badge that summer.

And so it began.

Funny that later in life my dad and I spent so many enjoyable hours shooting skeet together.

Tontaube and bowling pins shrink in horror at the mere mention of our names!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Spirit run on 8 gallons of rum strip that has been sitting around for a while. Once again, I am blessed enough to get something that is damn close to being drinkable right off of the still. Tossed all heads and pulled the plug when tails set in.

BTW, Smaug, I have some that I just pulled out of the barrel that you need to taste.

• @FloridaCracker said: Tossed all heads and pulled the plug when tails set in.

Damn son, what a waste! You could'a passed them off as Great Value Gin... :))

• edited April 2016

@frodo said:

SEC wanabes.

• edited April 2016

Had a great day today, we got together for food, fun and shooting.
    friend came by with a few full auto toys, gave us a chance to teach the sons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2HtHzx-sJ8

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRXnhf1TymA

• Shootin gophers?

• ground hogs, they lie abut the weather

• Wouldn't that be considered lead pollution?

• lead what ? LOL LOL...lead is an ore that comes from the ground we are not painting a building with it. we are returning it to wince it come

• @Kapea said: Damn son, what a waste! You could'a passed them off as Great Value Gin... :))

Dammit! I never thought about that.

• Was gunna go for a blat but decided to keg 3 beers and do a service on the bike instead.

I'll make some thunder tomorrow, and go see the grandkids ~ 4 hours ride- for a couple days.

• Go find some fallow

• Were planning to go chase goats, not deer. We're cutting up pigs tomorrow week and it seemed a good idea to do some goats at the same time.

I'd rather see the kids though. Might go for a swim at the beach too.

• Bottled batch 3 of Gin... math and paperwork harder than the actual bottling :((

image.jpg
    800 x 763 - 60K
  • Thanks for sharing, is that sheet your design?

• yeah, it changes every few months... Hell will freeze over before I pay $200/$500 a MONTH for software... Especially software that I still have to do all the work for, won't explain how it got it's numbers, and will not let me just 'correct a mistake' after entered..

• Here is my spreadsheet with tabs for receiving/fermentation, stripping runs, whiskey runs, spirit run, botanical run, barreling, bottling, removal from Bond.

feel free to use/comment/ignore ;-)

CDC Production Template (XLSX)

xlsx
    xlsx
    CDC Production Template.xlsx
  • edited April 2016

Interested in working on a shared/collaborative/open spreadsheet project?

Mine is looking awfully close to yours.

I think if a couple of us got together and put some thought into it, it wouldn't be so hard to come up with something that did 90% of the commercial packages.

• sure... that is just the form I write on, I will PM you... I think if we got @DistilliTraK back on board to modernize/update, that would be the way to not re-invent the wheel

• Downloaded your spreadsheet @CothermanDistilling. May soon be useful for me :-)