StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

edited October 2015 in General

Finally started new boiler build :D

what_boiler.jpg
600 x 800 - 62K
Tagged:

Comments

• Looks promising what, what is the volume ?

• Hey moscca 500 dia x 800 long Volume should be 155 liter or 40 gallon The plan is to be able to dump a 120 liter rum wash in it and still have plenty of head space

• ok, i'm getting a boner over that boiler, oh and barrel!!!! :)

• Getting ready to add yeast to my first Panela ferment,here we go on RUM/RHUM

It is what you make it!

• This will be a fun one to follow, lots of photos please

• @what said: Finally started new boiler build :D

Nice,great idea on laying it horizontal for height challenged souls.

It is what you make it!

• Nice looking so far but i think that it will leak on each end in that configuration... :))

scrap yard find?

• Still deciding on best way to stop that leak actually. Have no more children to sell to be able to afford pretty tank ends. New! Just an off cut of 316

• Jeezuz LoO point that thing in the other direction,,,,please. Gonna be a nice build. Reminds me of some of the boilers scattered around the Caribbean. How will it get fired?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Plan is both gass and electric. Electric to distill once up to temp and a single 600mm long gas pipe/burner to help minimise heat up and strip times.

• draw it up .... sounds like a plan in the works

• Put down 30 gallons of WPOSW. First sugar wash I've done but I loaded it up with nutrients so hope it turns out well. Gotta make some fruity tuity shit for the ladies!

Lead, follow, or get the f**k out of the way!

• That is a nice looking barrel in the background What. Got a couple of 3 gallon Gibbs on the way! First ones for me so pretty excited!

Lead, follow, or get the f**k out of the way!

• If it,s one of the yalumba ones, be very careful you don,t end up with the strongest abv red wine ever. 3 out of three people that were in the Tamworth bulk buy have pulled their spirits out already after a couple of weeks. A couple of us are sending our barrels up to ROTB for recharring.

I,m the lucky one who hasn,t yet used his barrell.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited May 2013

@punkin said: If it,s one of the yalumba ones, be very careful you don,t end up with the strongest abv red wine ever. 3 out of three people that were in the Tamworth bulk buy have pulled their spirits out already after a couple of weeks. A couple of us are sending our barrels up to ROTB for recharring.

I,m the lucky one who hasn,t yet used his barrell.

Off topic, but thanks for the heads up punkin.

That's one hellova boiler what. I'll be following your build with interest :)

• Hello all :) Today making a couple of shotguns, one is a meter long with 6 x 1/2 inch tubes. It is for a 6 inch pot still. What, when you have that boiler finished how about we put a 6 inch pot still on it and see if we can break Loo's takeoff rate :)

• Sounds like we have a plan spud! Wasn't Bertha over 250 litres What was that magic takeoff rate?

• edited May 2013

May also be a thumper in the plans too. Will just have to find someone with a lathe to thin down the caps a little and cut the holes.

what_thumper.jpg
    600 x 800 - 77K
  • Wired and mounted an STC1000 temperature controller for my ferments yesterday using the photos from this thread..

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/66428-stc-1000-in-pictures/

It went really well.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Making Choko Pickles today and tommorow.

http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/choko-pickles-L6163.html

Gunna spice em up of course.

• Collected two plasma cut 5mm plates for boiler ends today :D Just need to design the pipe burner and stand now. Anyone have any good ideas on ways to mount it, I'm trying to work out ways to vent it.?

So love choko pickles Punkin, even by themselves on fresh bread with butter.

• What I would look at modern gas stoves ,cookers and probably industrial type boilers also But could you just use 2 or 3 of those three ring cast burners set in parallel

• You could scrounge more ss and make a tunnel that runs the length of the boiler ... and vent it out the other end and then vent it up and out with a stove pipe kinda thing not sure where your putting it or ...

or just go electric... and save the gas... no venting required

• edited May 2013

Decided, electric it will be! On the hunt for 3600 watt elements now. Discovered there is not enough length in a 6" ferrule to cut to the profile of a 500m pipe. May have to profile an 8" pipe cap to get a flat surface to mount the ferrule. Started collecting pieces for the column

what_pieces.jpg
    800 x 600 - 116K
  • you will need a 'long' 6in ferrule

6in1.JPG
    683 x 257 - 18K
    6in2.JPG
    1018 x 385 - 28K
  • what this looks like an awesome build i like using electric its clean and easily adjusted accurately keep these images coming

• Thanks loo, so wish I had your skills! My problem is the longest 6" ferrule I can find is 28mm I could extend it by welding on a piece of 6" tube but the ferrule has a 3 mm wall and the tube is only 1.6 to 2.0mm max. Boiler has 5mm wall so wouldn't like to weld anything less than 3mm to it.

• A SD 6" long ferrule is 42mm tall overall and is 2mm thick. Not sure if that helps or not. Looking very closely at it now I can see that it started life as a short ferrule and 3mm thick, then a thinner 2mm pipe section was welded on and ground and polished.

• NO pressure involved here so 2mm should be fine... at least i think..

• Ran 60 liters of canned peach wash and boy did it smell good :-) dliuted to 50% and put fresh peaches in quart jars and filled them up with peach shine, in about a week I will have some yummy peaches and vanilla ice cream