StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• @Kapea said: Just having some fun with ya.

The forum software assumes all photos are in a landscape aspect ratio and displays them accordingly. (don't turn your camera sideways)

I did not turn it sideways! and even when I do, they still turn up wrong... the only reason one is to the left and one to the right is the one is a selfie using the front cam...

• Thanks @CothermanDistilling for being a great host, talked to him afterward and he said he had a great time checking the place out. Will definitely be stopping in with some bottles the next time I'm in the area!

I think he may be getting the vodka bug - we've been talking about starting to plan a 20" column.

• Damned cameras and mobile phones always save pics in landscape mode and don't turn the pictures according to the orientation the pics are shot, but hint the orientation in the EXIF metadata instead, which is not analyzed by the forum software (and other applications). Best practice is to not use portrait orientation whenever reasonable, oh and switch from 16:9 to 4:3 mode (panorama view is just wrong for photos in most cases).

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• OK, here pic with the phone camera set to 4:3 and the phone held sideways... Bent some 3/4" sanitary tubing for my CIP sprayball attachments for boiler and plastic conical... and a video for 'Today in the shed'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijBrwHfa_2A

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 94K
  • Good one. Even Superman can't bend steel with a single hand!

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited May 2016

I'm busy with a 4th (of 4, 3 strips and 1 spirit)) scratch whiskey run, and I'm collecting in gallons at the moment, so I've got a chance to converse a bit. I love my new product condenser, and I'm collecting at just about 5 quarts (~4.75L) per hour, and it's got very good grain taste. I'm a happy boy.

FullStillScratch.jpg
    800 x 837 - 176K

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited May 2016

Gas fired! Hah!

Take that all you electro-heads! ;)

Nice one ZB!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Bet yer ass!

• edited May 2016

@jacksonbrown said: Amateurs ;)

Exactly! I've actually started going pro, but then I won't get to make the really tasty stuff like I'm making in the photo. :(

• @CothermanDistilling said: OK, here pic with the phone camera set to 4:3 and the phone held sideways...

See, way better now! ;)

I still post process each and every picture for picture size (800x600 is optimal and used as standard for our forum) and file size (JPEG quality set to 80%) to ensure shortest loading times and best possible viewing experience from wherever you are on the planet.

Phone held sideways goes also for videos, means your videos would look so much better if shot in landscape orientation!

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I've always had complete control over all parameters of any of my images, whether orientation, pixel count (sorry I blew reducing that on this last one), compression, and color depth. Although I've got and use several graphic applications, ancient PaintShop Pro 7.0 deals wonderfully well with all the ugly nuts ans bolts of images.

At about 20 years old, there must be free copies of this application floating around out there.

• No need to worry, upload as you like, picture rework is part of the daily housekeeping here.

• @zymurgybob said: Exactly! I've actually started going pro, but then I won't get to make the really tasty stuff like I'm making in the photo. :(

Many years ago as a homebrewer I realized the fallacy of the belief that hobbyists are somehow inferior to professionals. Each time I attend a professional conference I see that many hobbyists are much more knowlegable than many professionals. Hobbyists are not constrained by money. Success is not defined by monetary ROI.

• edited May 2016

@Kapea said: Many years ago as a homebrewer I realized the fallacy of the belief that hobbyists are somehow inferior to professionals. Each time I attend a professional conference I see that many hobbyists are much more knowlegable than many professionals. Hobbyists are not constrained by money. Success is not defined by monetary ROI.

Moreover, so many hobbyists are really smart guys that have great back ground that lends it'sself to being a good distiller or brewer.

But it takes money and some intestinal fortitude....With out the money, the fortitude looses it's place.

I have no doubt that the enthusiasts here would quickly become an asset in any distillery environment.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I'm not sure about the money and fortitude, unless you're talking about starting a legal distillery, and then I'd agree, although to some extent money can be replaced with stubbornness. I figure my biggest asset is the number of mistakes I've made over a lot of years. That's got to be worth something, right?

• Talking about the pro environment ZBob.

Those mistakes put you way ahead on the learning curve Bob.

Yep stubbornness can trump a poorly capitolized distillery long as ya keep your day job.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Moonshine said: See, way better now!

I still post process each and every picture for picture size (800x600 is optimal and used as standard for our forum) and > file size (JPEG quality set to 80%) to ensure shortest loading times and best possible viewing experience from wherever > you are on the planet.

Ok, went out and found this program, a bit old, needed .net 3.5, but it worked... you just copy pics to the folder, it watches a folder(s) you select and auto resizes every pic put in it (it overwrites, so don;t point it at your regular pics!!!!!...

Welded up the tubes I bent and put sprayballs on them and cleaned my 300gal conical:

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 26K
  • edited May 2016

I worked 8 hours plus four hours of travel at 1.5X hourly rate today (left home at 4:00AM).

Then I went down to Costco and bought a 65" curved screen 4K SUHD TV I've had my eye on with the money. Today was the last day of the sale. I got in the store 5 minutes before closing.

My house is wrapped in windows. No reflections on the curved screen.

It IS baseball season, after all.

• My TV is just for looks. It hasn't actually been plugged in for months.

• @jacksonbrown said: My TV is just for looks. It hasn't actually been plugged in for months.

The worst thing about that is when somebody trys to turn it on. They make little marks in the dust and ya gotta clean the whole Telly . As your cleaning the Tv cabinet (or milk crate) gets knocked then you have to clean that too

• The 48" that the 65" replaced has been relegated to computer monitor duty (with two 32" outrigger monitors).

• edited May 2016

Two custom metalcraft 550g jacketed fermenters:

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 71K
  • Nice.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• How much do the inside warp when full?

• edited May 2016

10 gauge stainless - warp not likely. They weigh about 700-800lbs a piece.

• Now that I'm not looking on my fone I can see it a bit better.
    So they're single wall with dimple plate on one side?
    Is there a knuckle on the bottom or just flat?
    I've done a few square tanks in the past. There great for maximizing foot print but they have there own inherent issues.
    Are you planning on forking them around like oversized IBC's?
    Will they stay open? Cleaning?
    Sorry, lots of questions but I'm sure you've given it a lot of thought. It's a novel approach.

• edited May 2016

Not novel, tons of shops opening in the states are using Custom Metalcraft tanks now.

Bang for your buck, they are hard to beat.

Single wall jacket. Sloped bottom. They have covers.

• edited May 2016

@grim said: Two custom metalcraft 550g jacketed fermenters:

Looking pretty grim!

Oops... I mean;
    Looking pretty, grim! :D

• Nice!!! I just did my first ever bourbon wash... 100 lb corn meal, 12lb rye, 10lb malt... not a one man job.... did not want to cook the htaa, so added after addung corn... almost turned to polenta before I got the corn mixed in and added htaa then the beta gluc a bit later... had to re-weld my mixer blades on 3 times... milwaukee gear drill worked well enough to give me a blister... pH of 5.7 and 171 degrees now

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 124K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 121K