StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• jezjez
    edited March 2016

a beautiful 38 degrees here today and I'm in the shed cleaning and making room for my fermenter fridge :) so happy now I can start making beer just waiting to pick up my stc 1000 next week .

@fadge thanks to your video's you gave me the idea to make this.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 77K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K
  • @FloridaCracker said: I'm replacing a bathroom vanity..UUUUGGGGHHHHHH!

Second that. Had to rebuilt shower valves. Up next, replacing vanity and installing a new toilet. F-in hate plumbing if there isn't any booze involved

• Can't just once, for the love of all, there be NO LEAKS??? The vanity I replaced was vintage 1974. So was the plumbing. All done now but I'm with you on the hate for plumbing. Next up, exterior motion lights. No booze involved. Ladders.

• Plumbed up my super reflux condenser with stainless fit fittings and lines

Have 4 or 5 slow leaks so will have to give it another go this weekend (or go back to plastic) sigh I used plenty of threadtape as well

• I gave up on thread seal with stainless to stainless. Just use 515 master pipe sealant now. Leave for a day.....all good.

• I use blue loctite... never failed... ever... would not use on drinking water though

• edited March 2016

Teflon tape, always from the back to the front, where the end-most threads only have ONE wrap of tape, and wrap in the opposite direction of the thread tightening.

Common mistake with teflon tape is to wrap from the end of the fitting inwards, where your first wraps have multiple wraps - which negates the taper on the fitting. Or wrap so much that you can only get a few threads engagement.

If your threads are damaged, dog gnawed on them or they've been bouncing around in a junk box for 15 years, use teflon paste ON TOP of the teflon tape. For metal on metal, tighten more than you think, and absolutely under no circumstances, ever loosen the fitting, if you do, start over.

Stainless npt thread with teflon tape should be bombproof. That british straight thread nonsense (bspp) should be thrown in the garbage, they can't even drive on the right side of the road over there, you expect them to understand plumbing?

• Replacing the timing belt (and surrounding belts, pumps, pulleys) in my Tacoma.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Hopefully you have tiny hands @Kapea

• edited March 2016

No. Big German ones working on a Japanese engine made to be worked on by small hands. I do have an ever-increasing vocabulary of swear words I am cultivating as I go.

Here she is 3100m up the side of a 4200m mountain. If I broke a timing belt up there it would cost more than a grand to get her towed back to the world. FWIW she's never taken me anywhere she didn't bring me back from, and we've been way deep in it on many occasions.

Note the plethora of scoria laying about, free for the taking. I pass. I likes me SS pot scrubbers, thank you very much.

Nellie Belle 10,000ft up Mauna Kea.jpg
    800 x 600 - 60K

• Spent an hour hanging on to the Bissel already this Sunday morn.

Apparently if your teasing kids and they spill your beer on the carpet it's your fault.
    Blame is exacerbated if the missus has spent 3 hours cleaning the carpet that very morning. 8-X

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Is someone here that can make a keg into a fermenter. Was hoping for sight glass inside too temperature gauge.

• There are insertion kits you can get for unmodified kegs.
    Emptied with air pressure.
    Google it.

• Plastic really is a good option for small scale fermenters for distillers washes.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Why you say that punkin

• edited March 2016

@punkin said: Plastic really is a good option for small scale fermenters for distillers washes.

Why you say that?

• Because it's true? :-/

Lighter, cheaper, easier to move around, easier to drill, no welding needed, etc

In beer brewing where wort will sit for longer the sanitising benefits come in for stainless if you can afford the cost, but for what you want to do, look to recycled plastic.

• @punkin said: Because it's true? :-/

Lighter, cheaper, easier to move around, easier to drill, no welding needed, etc

In beer brewing where wort will sit for longer the sanitising benefits come in for stainless if you can afford the cost, but for what you want to do, look to recycled plastic.

Thanks bud just wanted to know your tho on it as brewshop was trying to sell me 1. Guss there just want my money.

• Its was a long weekend here, Monday public holiday, so we opened our Stillhouse door to the public for the first time.

labels.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K
  • Great label. Good luck!

• can't wait to visit @HurdleCreek! congratulations. Post some more photos of your cellar door?

• Thanks Richard & Yurgle, the still house is the shed on the label. here's a few of the process. There are more on our website and on our fb page.

I've tried rotating it L & R but I can't get the photo of the column to upload vertically.

Edited by @Moonshine: Fixed (I usually post-process all picture uploads for size and orientation, so no need to worry)

1.jpg
    800 x 450 - 34K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 27K
    3.jpg
    800 x 450 - 55K
    4.jpg
    450 x 800 - 59K
  • Here's the still set up to make gin. Doesn't look like this ATM as there's a big rectangular milk tank mash tun in the way, borrowed from the Milawa brewing co, while we get a false bottom made ours.

We brew with barley, oats & about 25% malt (for flavour - we also use enzymes). 3-4 stripping runs per brew, bypassing the column. Then two spirit runs making gin on the fly on the second run. Once the hearts are appearing on the second spirit run we put the column in full reflux and load the gin basket with botanicals.

Next project is to add a couple of 3 way valves to make permanent pipework setup to cover all options - beer stripping, column alone and column with gin basket.

image.jpg
    600 x 607 - 41K
  • That's my favourite part of the world. Heading up to Tolmie tomorrow :-bd

• Beautiful label and photo

• So excellent.

Yes very nice label design.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Great stuff Simon, i love the labels and the rig looks great.

• Mashing corn for the first time and think I made every single mistake there is. Under cooked it, underconverted it, then burnt it. Oh well, there are some happy chooks now at my mates place.

On the up side I got a compliment about my neutral which is progress.

• Went out and swam with the whales today. It has been too windy/choppy to do so for the last few weeks. They will be going north soon. May be my last chance until next fall.

• @grim said: That british straight thread nonsense (bspp) should be thrown in the garbage, they can't even drive on the right side of the road over there, you expect them to understand plumbing?

:-@ :D