StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• @punkin said: Got my second batch mashed in at 8:20am, gunna beat the heat. It's only 39C in the shed atm.

Wow. 39F here at the farm last night. Not exactly beating the heat here.

• Up to 45C but i've just turned the burner out for the last time and i'm whirlpooling. Be washed up and out of there in 20 mins with 170l of wort in the bank and knocked off before midday. <:-P

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• One assumes some sort of celebratory beer is in order to commemorate?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Been going since 9. Celebratory sleep more like it. :))

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2016

@punkin said: Got my second batch mashed in at 8:20am, gunna beat the heat. It's only 39C in the shed atm.

Same here but F

• You have an ATM in your shed?

I just keep cash in the mattress. :D

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @Kapea said: Maggie Siff is smoking hot!

You are clearly thinking about the opening sequence in the pilot, when he is laying on the floor, gagged and bonded, and she..... is extinguishing the fire! >:)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited February 2016

Yes, when I saw that opening I knew this was my new favorite series. How can you top that for a series opening?!

And when she drops her robe and steps down into the private pool to skinny-dip with Axe in the latest episode...

• @Kapea said: And when she drops her robe and steps down into the private pool to skinny-dip with Axe in the latest episode...

Dang, SPOILER, have only watched up to episode 4 yet! :((

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• That's not a spoiler. It's an inticement. A spoiler would be telling why they are in the pool.

It's like watching a chess match of masters.

• Yeah...not a spoiler at all.

• Ran whiskey today. 3 plates and hardly any reflux after head compression.

It was a weird experience, started off at 80% and down until 20. down to 25, it was smelling tails-y but tasting still good. I'll let it air out and try again.

So far, the tastiest whiskey I made

• edited March 2016

Stripping at 68 liters an hour on a 4" x 1 meter pc.

Damn that is fast. Distillate at 78-79F, can't drop under, but my recirc tank is warm.

• Don't you have your PC on a recirc loop? How do you keep the product temp down at single pass levels like that?
    It would normally be close to the vapour temp??

• edited March 2016

Tank is hovering around 65 from the 50 it started at. Full flow, I guess 15gpm maybe - I have no flow meter but the pump tops out at 20gpm no head.

• So single pass but recirculating through a tank?

• edited March 2016

Yeah I have a switch on my panel that disconnects the PID and goes to 100% open. At that point there really isn't a recirc loop, per se. During normal runs the output flow rate is a trickle even though I'm still circulating the full pump flow.

My pc pump is in the internal loop, not outside.

• my recirc tank (a black 250gal IBC tote) has a thermocline in it, I can feel with my hand the hot water line going downward.. the 4" x1M is really nice, can't wait to be able to order a 6-8" x 48" one on a stand...

• received 10BBL/1200L of beer from a local brewery that said they let the yeast go a generation too far.. A really hoppy IPA... the kind some folks on here say they do not like distilled... when I agreed to take it, they shut off the cooling and opened the pressure, but it still foamed a bit going into the totes and was int he 40's.. Trailered it to the shop, added ultraferm to eat the rest of the sugars, transferred about 250 or so to my poly conical and 80 gal to the still and stripped to 15 gal while the gift shop was open and gave tours... Well, first, I could not figure out what the flaw was, and another BJCP judge friend came in and drank a liter mug of and declared it fine... then we tasted the low wines, and other than a 50ml or so of fores, the first 10 of 15 gallons tasted really good, just a hint of hops... on every group I let people open the butterfly valve on the side of the conical and get a healthy pour of it, and not one person thought it was anything but a good IPA... too funny.... kinda wish I had filled a couple kegs of it and re-carbonated before adding enzymes!!

• I woulda thought the ultraferm would have killed it in a few minutes.

• also cracked the bung on a 87 day 5-gal (probably really 6 gal) # 3char new barrel from 'The Barrel Mill' with that same breweries whiskey, it was really nice, and will test again in 2 weeks, even though it is only half the time I thought would be needed, I am a bit afraid of it getting over oaked...

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 53K
  • @grim said: I woulda thought the ultraferm would have killed it in a few minutes.

I way under dosed, like 100ml in 300gal, they said it was at 1.007, but I did not test... I will taste again today after filling the still for another stripping run.. I have 65 degree water in my ambient totes this month still, that 4"x1M condenser really does the job...

• edited March 2016

What was your entry proof?

We just started filling out first 53s...

• Yeah, those small barrels can really go fast. My 15 gallon Barrel Mill went real fast the first 2 times I used it. Then on the other hand, my 6.25 gallon Barrel Mill (sold as a 5 gallon) has had rum in it for over 6 weeks and is almost as clear as it went in. Really starting to think that it was used more than once before me but only has markings indicating one use.

Nice score on the beer. With your rig, you should be able to make a tasty vodka, no?

• edited March 2016

@CothermanDistilling said: also cracked the bung on a 87 day 5-gal (probably really 6 gal) # 3char new barrel from 'The Barrel Mill' with that same breweries whiskey, it was really nice, and will test again in 2 weeks, even though it is only half the time I thought would be needed, I am a bit afraid of it getting over oaked...

Got any truly spent barrels that you can finish it in? Or would that not be consistent with your specified regs?

• edited March 2016

Btw - barrel mill barrels are beautiful - we got some from someone else who were absolutely awful in comparison. # 3 all the way

• Only need to store it for two years if I want to call it 'straight' malt whiskey..

First one of the barrel - Malt Whiskey "Cotherman's American Single Malt Whiskey"

Second use of the barrel - Whiskey from Malt - "Dunedin Highland Whiskey from Malted Barley"

TTB Whiskey standards.png
    1042 x 495 - 64K
  • @grim said: Btw - barrel mill barrels are beautiful - we got some from someone else who were absolutely awful in comparison. # 3 all the way

Agree. The two I have are very solid and if I ever buy anymore it will be another BM.

• Leg of ham in the cold smoker, doing some plumbing maintenance jobs while they are out shopping and the house is empty. Washers, filter cartridges etc.

• I'm replacing a bathroom vanity..UUUUGGGGHHHHHH!