StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• not in my shed, but one of the guys on the BCS forum put this up, I think you guys might just have to wipe a bit of druel off your lip when you are done...

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 126K
  • Not bad for $500 bucks ... :D

• nice setup there cotherman.

• Wow that looks like a work of art.

• Way to advanced for me to deal with. Also I think I just burned my retinas looking at that picture.

• The pictures look great, but the word castle made my head hurt.

• Any detail on the valves?

• I liked the SS (copper brazed) plate heat exchanger. Certainly in the USA you are spoilt for choice.

The other thing I saw is they seem to have a simple blower (for gas line ??) with speed control ??.

Certainly interesting.

• @jacksonbrown said: Any detail on the valves?

I think he mentions where he got them in there, valves4projects, it looks like they have an ebay store, and there is lots of valve talk on that forum

• tonight I am stripping 100ltr neutral wash, reading "the kings county distillery guide to urban moon shining", having an Adnam's pale ale and cooking spit roast pork.

Who says men can't multi task

• Sounds like the perfect way to spend a few hours.

• Spent three hits digging out from snow. Slushy snow is the worst...

• Chickened out on todays brewday for the heat. Hopefully tomorrow.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• That's been my excuse the last month.

• Milled the grain yesterday so i'll be into it tomorrow.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2016

Loaded one ton of sand media into a mixed-bed filter. A 6'6" tall cylindrical one with a 4" opening on top. Tweaked my back lifting 5 gallon buckets of media up to pour it into a funnel in the 4" hole on top of the filter. Then drove 2 hours home. I could barely get out of the truck to open the gate when I got home.

I have prescribed myself 3 martinis to ease the pain, with more to be taken as needed.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited February 2016

And the waves here are EPIC right now. They held the Eddie yesterday.

• 2 stripping runs of Gen 10 rum and started Gen 11 wash. The backset now after 10 generations smells like I would have a big glass of it for breakfast. A mixture of caramel, molasses and toffee.

I'm now well into my 2 barrel bastardized solera style process. The bigger 15 gallon barrel has about 7 gallons in it and the 6 gallon barrel is full. Since I have a pretty good stash of drinkable rum now, I can leave more in the barrels for aging. Weird about the 6 gallon one; it has only been used once for rye whiskey and now has been full of rum for over a month and it is almost as clear as when it went in. Maybe the cooler weather here. My other barrel colored the rum after 3 weeks. I guess it just means that it can stay in there longer without being over oaked.

• Eddie would go!

• Eddie would tow!

• edited February 2016

Subliminally, I put this shirt on to go to sleep last night.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
  • Just spent the evening doing steam coil and condenser design calcs. Only got half way before my brain couldn't take anymore.

• @FloridaCracker said: 2 stripping runs of Gen 10 rum and started Gen 11 wash. The backset now after 10 generations smells like I would have a big glass of it for breakfast. A mixture of caramel, molasses and toffee.

I'm now well into my 2 barrel bastardized solera style process. The bigger 15 gallon barrel has about 7 gallons in it and the 6 gallon barrel is full. Since I have a pretty good stash of drinkable rum now, I can leave more in the barrels for aging. Weird about the 6 gallon one; it has only been used once for rye whiskey and now has been full of rum for over a month and it is almost as clear as when it went in. Maybe the cooler weather here. My other barrel colored the rum after 3 weeks. I guess it just means that it can stay in there longer without being over oaked.

Super interesting.

That spider has you wrapped deep within the web.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug said: That spider has you wrapped deep within the web.

Can't

get

out.

• The process is so systemic.

Some would say that it is too time consuming to render a complex rum. I say if you are trying to get to that complexity in a one or two step process then yes you will be forever chasing the carrot.

But once you have the ground work done, it's just a matter of recycling the aromatics.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I know that you have tried a shitload of rums. Gotta try and find a way to get a bottle to you so that I know if mine stacks up or should be shit canned.

• @FloridaCracker said: I'm considering one without the agitator. I'm only 3 hours away :D

• edited February 2016

Binge-watching Billions while resting my back.
    Trying not to think of they waves I'm not riding...

• Maggie Siff is smoking hot!

• Got my second batch mashed in at 8:20am, gunna beat the heat. It's only 39C in the shed atm.