StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

3 Chamber Still

Comments

• edited May 2021

@DonMateo said: I found a drawing of a three chamber whiskey still with the deep bed bubble caps by Irving Hirsh is his book Manufacture of WHiskey Brandy and Cordials. Page 55 which has the thumper. I would imagine that is not a coincidence. Cheers

Indeed. The changes would be the plate system in the stripper. And the thumper has a two plate column.

I don't have the book so I have not fully determined if the drawing shows a slobber box or true thumper? It matters not. The thumper can certainly do the job of a slobber box. But a slobber box can not do the job of a thumper.

EDIT: Ah, I found a more clear picture and can now see that Mr. Hirsch does label that as a doubler.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Do you have the book @DonMateo ? Are you able to see how part # M is described / characterized?

• edited May 2021

OK guys. Here it is. All this talk has got me a hankering to make a couple of deep bed mondo bubblecaps and see how they work.

This book was written in 1924 and its very interesting if you want to know how things were done a long time ago. He has lots of flow diagrams as well. And in some cases rough equipment sizes. I have scanned the cover page as well.

0.jpg
    512 x 800 - 61K
    52.jpg
    528 x 800 - 75K
    53.jpg
    520 x 800 - 81K
    54.jpg
    523 x 800 - 51K
    55.jpg
    800 x 453 - 46K
  • edited May 2021

One last scan from Irvings book. This is a barrel aging chart prepared by Irving but the thing that I never really noticed before is that all of the barrelling proofs are at around 100 proof. That ties up with what is in the Leopold Brothers video that 100 years ago most whiskey was aged at 100 proof. Actually for me I have been aging at 100proof and prefer it by far to barreling at 120 or 130. For me it produces a much more balanced whiskey and you know exactly when to pull the whiskey off the wood. For a rank beginner that is.

134.jpg
    800 x 503 - 53K
    135.jpg
    525 x 800 - 53K
  • Most of this book is kind of out of date but it is an interesting snap shot of distilling from the 1920s to the 1930s and the processes they used to use. The Three chamber still has be intrigued.

• Sure. The internet has made short work of the learning curve compared to those days.

• Those mushroom type mega bubble caps. I am trying to figure out where you feed in the vapor. I would imagine at the tips of the edges, so to speak you would have some holes for releasing bubbles to the exterior and some to the interior. The ones to the interior would eventually collapse as the vapor distills and thefore flow out to the exterior. Thats my guess but without seeing one its hard to know.

• Yeah I have looked at various drawings to try and make sense of the various designs for the 3 chamber scenario.

Some drawings appear to be a single large cap drawn somewhat 2 dimensionally.

Other drawings appear to be a manifold that includes a stand pipe / riser that has 3 branches at the top that radiate slightly outward, then down into a circular doughnut shaped, perforated distribution register. I'm not sure how It was actually intended to look? But my first impression was that the operator best have some vaccum relief at the ready as soon as he kills the heat, cuz that manifold will surely suck up some grain solids and clog.

Not sure about the old drawings really but the tall single stand pipes with tall cap is much simpler to construct and maintain. Plus , it is my responsibility to not just straight up rip the design off. Frankly I feel like the old design has a bunch of unintentional flaws that may not necessarily have anything to do with the fabled whiskey it produced.

• edited May 2021

This guy here for example.

I'm sorry but that plate design is a total shit show.

20210516_091624.jpg
    697 x 800 - 45K

• @smaug. Thanks for your comments. I have decided I am going to make some mega bubble caps and try two different distillation runs and use the mega caps only for the spirit run in a column. Right now I dont have my distillery built or my big boiler, sorry its not SD. But the solution is try teh mondo bubble caps and see if they work at a small scale and then think about the three chamber. I was wondering if this would work with a bain marie still running a standard charge of was, with 12" T sections stacked on top with a manifold type of arrangement as indicated in the latest drawing and over time you feed in the wash from the top and at a certain temperature point on the bottom chamber you drain it down. slowly. that way your using an existing boiler. Or alternative use a Bain Marie boiler on the botton and build your stack on top but start the bain marie boiler with water alone as you drain down the wash feeding in from the top. That might work better so that at the end of the day you get the whiskey. I am wondering about doing it this way as I would like to use existing gear that I have. Anyway its all pipe dreams for now I have to start my distillery building first, which should happen in a month or so.

• edited May 2021

Well I'm sure the deeper liquid beds will have an influence.

Evidently, a key variable is the added pressure associated with the large beds on a classic 3 chamber? Also there appears to be some flavor enhancements associated with the archaic operating procedure?

Wish I could sample to gauge for myself. But I don't wanna taste the the bottle. I want it straight off the dick (No hommo)......

• Ordered Irving Hirsch's book, really enjoying it....

• @cothermandistilling. Yes lots of great information in that book. Like a snapshot in time. I am determined to make a three chamber still some time in the future. In the mean time make some mega bubble caps and try deep bed distillation.

• edited May 2021

How about this as a giant bubble plate

20141109_090353b.JPG
    800 x 450 - 32K
    20141109_090500b.JPG
    800 x 450 - 28K
    20141109_090442b.JPG
    800 x 450 - 21K
  • Those work good, the vapor hitting the underside of the dome heats it and vaporizes some of the stream running off of the downcomer... those are discussed 5-6 years ago in a thread here somewhere...

• Copper ravioli cap

• Them boys at Corson completely misinterpreted the execution of theirs. They installed perforations around the perimeter that essentially discharged vapor straight upwards. This allows for an inordinate amount of vapor to blow by the liquid bed and completely bypass the phase change cycle that should occur.

Lots of smearing.

• I am still fascinated by this design and I think it would make some amazing irish whiskeys and grain whiskeys with high oats contents. I just have to build my distillery first.

• Nothing to do with three chamber stills but I did find the gin section in Hirsch's book interesting.

A while ago I posted about putting botanicals at the bottom of a column and running the vapour through a few plates which was widely dismissed (even though its very similar to how 4 pillars make their award winning gin).

I did try this a while ago but didn't have the wherewithal to put the botanicals in the column so instead put them in the boiler and it was a very clean, very flavourful gin, sadly the neutral wasn't the best quality so the resultant gin wasn't great. I did have to use an insanely large dose of botanicals though!

Finally I have some good quality neutral and a packed section I can put at the bottom to hold the botanicals so am going to give it another go, I might try adding the cream of tartar as well just to see if that makes a difference.

• Todd discussing how the 3 chamber still operates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NL2vimfbog

Link to the Crampton & Tolman paper (thanks BA):

A Study Of The Changes Taken Place In Whiskey Stored In Wood (PDF)

A review of the spirit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSQMeoafMTM

• The Tolman paper is fascinating. I really want one of those stills not for just making rye but for making old Irish whiskeys..

• Quite good.

• Since each chamber charge is shifted to the next chamber downward, does anyone know how he concludes he run is complete? In other words does each run extract ALL the alcohol in the apparatus or does he save some alcohol for each chamber by way of temp monitoring or the like?

• edited July 2021

This was posted over at ADI -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yi5WzVGBkuw

Operating 3 chamber in the Caribbean. One of the only original operating 3 chambers in the world.

Interesting description of operations. Overall this is a great 30 minutes. 5 minutes in if you don’t have time for the whole thing.

• Is the Vulcan a true three chamber still or just 2? (On the video go to 7:00)The way it shows it there are 3 chambers but one is a pre-heater so they only really use 2 for distilling. With the Leopold one there's 4 chambers with 3 for distilling and one as a pre-heater.

@Smaug said: does anyone know how he concludes he run is complete? In other words does each run extract ALL the alcohol in the apparatus or does he save some alcohol for each chamber by way of temp monitoring or the like?

I believe I remember that he runs them for a specific time with a uniform load. I am not sure of that one though.

I wonder how he loads it. Does he just start with beer in each chamber then run the first cycle longer? Or is it filled with water then he goes from there.

• edited July 2021

You are either making cuts on every cycle, or collecting low wines for redistillation where cuts would be made.

• edited July 2021

Found this regarding the running of a Vulcan three chamber still:

Is It On The Test?—The Three Chambered Still @ Boston Apothecary

• edited July 2021

Anyone with two thumpers want to just try the process? It’ll be pretty messy, but you can closely approximate this easily.

I'm inclined to weld four beer kegs on top of each other... :)