StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• edited June 2017

@punkin said: ...i'd love some suggestions as to a model name in keeping with my range.

ATM i'm wavering on 'The Cat's Whiskers' (cause i don't think i can call it the cat's arse) but i would like something that points to it's neutral/gin character

The littlest kitten was always the last to nurse, so she always had to suck hind tit...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited May 2017

@punkin obviously the first column goes over to the base of the second which is mounted to the other boiler port. Is it completely sealed back to boiler there. I ask as it would be tempting to side by side columns for height reasons but not sure how to arrange it. I know you answered this to another to run it again but here you are doing it.

Will be interesting to see the finished photos and RC layout. Nice looking gin basket. What are the measurements of the basket or how much is it likely to hold as the GB4 holds around 400 to 450 gms.

• The secondary column is only fed from the primary side.

The secondary column bottoms drain back to the kettle via a drain tube that extends from the floor of the vapor inlet component. The drain tube does extend below the liquid level within the kettle in order to prevent vapor bipass,,,if that makes sense.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Yes it does and quite simply solves the vapour bypass problem I was thinking about. I guess you would have to do the same if it was just a column boiler mounted and another to the side. Is it a big dia drain tube or small ? I would love to have height to run a 500 packed section above my 12 plates and just been thinking of the options to make it work.

• 2" straw on the drain.

Stuck 16 tees on it but realised i haven't calculated the CIP/electric parrot tees in when i worked it out so i need to get a small modification done later in the week by my local welder.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2017

My lady who grows the heritage pigs rang last week and said she had a small runt for me this weekend. It dressed out at 14kg an she gave it to me for $20 so i'm happy. Got two rolled raosts and a bunch of ribs plus 6kg of trim to add to the 6kg in the freezer for a combo of half Kabanossi half Black Pepper Snack Sticks.

Most of it went to trim as we are doing sausages on Monday, but i had my first play at dismembering the mid section Porchetta style. IE, whole both sides but boneless.

I think it came up well and i did pretty good. Texted my butcher mate a pic and asked what they did for the rest of the 4 years after learning to do such a simple thing.... :))

We're taking his mobile butcher trailer and truck to another mates place on Monday to bone out a couple sheep for his mates sausages, so i'll put this all through at the same time and save some washing up here.
    Should be in the smoker on Tuesday and wednesday for the two batches.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2017

You should eat those nice little ones whole with family and friends. Thats about the size i did the other weekend and it was a treat.

Haven't even drank a gin today but did run a brew which is looking OK . 12.5 l @ 46% with a bit more juniper and less lemon myrtle and grains of paradise. Put the extra juniper in the vertical riser in a 4" to 2" reducer with screen as my GB4 basket is nearly chocko.

• edited June 2017

It seems lots of people in Oz are bunny huggers :)) . My brother lives in Brisbane outskirts on a smallholding.

In any case he has a few sheep and cows. Come the day the mobile butcher arrived and they slaughtered and butchered a cow. The next door neighbour was not impressed and reported him to the local authority saying that this is just not done.

• @richard said: It seems lots of people in Oz are bunny huggers :)) . My brother lives in Brisbane outskirts on a smallholding.

In any case he has a few sheep and cows. Come the day the mobile butcher arrived and they slaughtered and butchered a cow. The next door neighbour was not impressed and reported him to the local authority saying that this is just not done.

There certainly are a lot of weirdos like that! Wonder if they know where their meat comes from...

• We're in a country town here. Lots of farms around and most of the guys in their twenties have 4wd utes with dog crates on the back as the main hobby here is chasing feral pigs with dogs and knives.

Not much tree hugging here and you'd have to look real hard to find a guy out of high school that has his hair dyed or sports a crazy hairdo. Pastel shorts and white sunglasses is about as out there as it gets.

If you walked into a pub here with some of the ensembles they wear in the cities you'd end up beat up.
    We're like the US rednecks to a degree.

• edited June 2017

image.jpg
    800 x 800 - 97K
  • edited June 2017

80% corn, 10% barley, 10% rye - aged 1yr in ex-Bourbon 25g barrels @ 110 proof - bottled at 90.

Came out really, really nice. Smooth, easy to drink, super super tight hearts cut, distilled at the bleeding edge of 160 - less smoke and char than our bourbon (it's much lighter in color than the photo). Our tasters who prefer Scotch (not peat-heads) and Irish Whiskey are loving it.

We originally intended to age this out for a year and strip out the color to sell it as a moonshine that didn't taste like crap - but it tasted so good on it's own, we decided not to bother with stripping the color.

• @punkin said: We're like the US rednecks to a degree.

U mean like dis kine?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnE_vrfxmvo

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• To a degree.

• Hybrid 8-Plate 4" CD & 50L Botanicals Can with an option to run as Pot Still & no plates.

Thanks Punkin & Cheers!

1.jpg
    463 x 800 - 45K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 85K
  • edited June 2017

We got there in the end mate.

I would be swapping the sight glass kit with the end cap in the second can. It was suppossed to have the sight glass down there in the rose petal version so you could see when the 'gin juice' is building up and needs draining from the drain port.

• Has anyone run a gin basket like a thumper with an elbow on the inlet to the bottom of the pot ? Or would the gin juice just strip more flavour compounds from the vapour. I know in my GB4 the juice is a pretty brown brew.

• @Curators_Reserve how did you convert the bottom off the keg for the herbs?

• @unsensibel.

3 Hop Spider Mesh baskets set on a coarse mesh/ butterfly false bottom.

Additional Botanical/ Babylonian Bags as required also.

Also - looking at a custom 8 inch basket drop into the 50L can.

So my question is how do you all treat & or use the Gin juice collected of GB/ Botanical chambers etc?

• edited June 2017

@grim said:

How would I secure a bottle??

• jezjez
    edited August 2017

My new toy arrived today after a 3 month wait

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 100K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K
  • Very nice. For thin wall this is brilliant. High frequency start, AC/DC, Nice slope up and down and no doubt, pulse. For thicker materials you may have to watch out for extended use due to overheating. But very few people have this thicker material Tig requirement.

• jezjez
    edited September 2017

Just a few pics of a system we've been working on this week

The chiller coil is one of two that will be installed inside the tank itself.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 78K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 104K
  • Mashing the always-enjoyable 100% unmalted rye mash.

1100 pounds of profanity.

• Bottled a batch of beer in the shed today for a case swap with my internet brew buddies. It's been decades since i have bottled and if it's decades more till i do it again then i'll be happy.

What a prick of a job for 24 longnecks worth of beer.

• It's a labor of love @punkin. Friends do for friends. The way it was meant to be.

• edited September 2017

ugh, rye.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 127K
  • I feel for you.