StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• Sounds great mate. You could use one of those ports for an electric parrot and forget about any other thermos too.

Would love to see a pic of the train thermo. I have a train emergency park brake handle here brand new somewhere that would make a great breaker switch.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited November 2016

Try this. Unless Moonshine can blow it up i will take one insitu. $10.50 and another $1.00 for a spare glass thermometer to fit inside. All new old spares around 220mm long.
    I see it if filled with graphite inside the thermowell - might take it out and use silicon heat transfer compound but will see how it goes first. I put it into the boiler below liquid level but your post made me wonder where the electric parrot goes ??

s-l64.jpg
    160 x 213 - 4K
  • electric parrot probe will screw into any 1/2" or 3/8th" female thread. Goes anywhere that is protected from falling reflux.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Pulling a pig to bits.
    Not the one that keeps parking in front of my house, this ones a large black.

• edited November 2016

Pig in it's primals plus one stage. First pic is the 2 shoulders which will go into trim for smoked sausage.

Second pic shows the loins and bellies off the bone which were brined today for bacon, and on the shelf above are the 2 legs (hams) which were pumped and brined yesterday. They'll sit there in the fridge in a garbage can full of brine with the bacon for 10 days or so and then into the smoker for cold smoking and slowly bringing up to 69C.

You can also see a bag full of rib bones that got the honey/soy treatment yesterday and into the oven for last nights dinner.

Porky was 42kg dressed and my first go at pulling a full pig to bits by myself, took about 40 mins which i'm sure has many people laughing their arse off, but i was pretty proud. Used just one knife and my hand saw. Took a lot longer to mix the brine and pump the bacon and ham.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 71K

• 40 minutes is pretty good as far as I'm concerned.
    It takes me all day to do two fallow from setting up, hide on/hanging to dropping vac sealed cuts in the freezer and cleaning down.
    I'm completely buggered by the end of it.

• Yes this fella was already peeld and san internals. 40 mins was just for the primals, to put him into 6 pieces. Took longer as i said to brine etc also to bone out the shoulders. Helps when you are doing no chops, few bones for waste is all.

• "my first go at pulling a full pig to bits"

:(

• You don't like that animals get disassembled?

If they were taken by predators in the wild they'd be eaten alive, i reckon we do pretty good.

• edited November 2016

@punkin said: You don't like that animals get disassembled?

If they were taken by predators in the wild they'd be eaten alive, i reckon we do pretty good.

Never+Eat+Anything+Bigger+Than+Your+Head.jpg
    800 x 500 - 98K

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @punkin said: You don't like that animals get disassembled?

No, not at all. Just the translation and the wording. Over here that sounds like you do it with your hands which is funny as shit.

• Aaahh, see you picked an unhappy smiley face as your only comment, that's why i failed to understand that you were saying it was funny.

Yes i tend to choose a particularly Aussie way of putting something at times.

Or as i would say in real life, I always do that sometimes.

• edited November 2016

Kipfler potatos are ready to start picking.

potato1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 98K

• @punkin said: Aaahh, see you picked an unhappy smiley face as your only comment, that's why i failed to understand that you were saying it was funny.

Yes i tend to choose a particularly Aussie way of putting something at times.

Or as i would say in real life, I always do that sometimes.

If someone here in the states made that comment, the cops would be called! It just sounds funny, like you walked up with your hands and "picked" it apart. Just a different way to say what we call "butchering". Come to think of it, that doesn't sound good either.

• edited November 2016

I only ever understand barely half of what you're talking about. And I reckon that's because you dumb it down enough for yanks to comprehend.

Thanksforbeingsoconsiderate

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited December 2016

Initial run this morning with my CCVM

image.jpg
    469 x 799 - 88K
  • Stripping whiskey

Mashing next batch

Finishing limoncello

It's going to be a boozy day

• Mashing in the Christmas stout...

1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 270K
    2.jpg
    450 x 800 - 160K
    3.jpg
    800 x 583 - 95K
  • Probably more accurate... fingers crossed!

• Biggest puking ever today!

Was timing how much heat up time would be with pump circulation. Felt all smug as I also rigged a whirlpool fitting up and didn't notice that it helps holding the bubbles in, thus increasing volume. That, combined with the fact that I was running full bore for stripping and I saw that the surge breaker makes a good looking fountain

:((

• not my shed, but someone's shed.. went to Elizabethtown, NC and stayed at a winery that just got their distillery license, put their tiny DSP in an attached shed on the side of the main winery building... guy is an art collector too, how often do you see the Eagles, Michael Jackson, and Dr. Seuss memorabilia in the same location?

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 113K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 96K
  • Man that's an ugly still. Is that thing functional or a display?

• functional, I kinda liked it as it had character.... supposedly, they were supposed to fire it up with wine when I was there... far wine, which has natural and possibly added sulfites, copper beats shiny I think....

• Still kinda reminds me of the boys at Alligator Bay Distillers.

They got it all wrapped up in bubble wrap however.

• edited March 2017

45L of 40% vodka on 6 plates and 510mm of stainless packed section, ran out of height so had to pull two of my tees out and replace with short 4"

image.jpg
    450 x 800 - 62K
  • edited March 2017

So running the PC horizontally during a big run like the above isnt the best, I am still getting 90% and great output but I cant slow her down at all. I am thinking my packed section isnt draining as well as I would like, and I really am wanting to hit azeo today :S

Will pull out 10L of hearts cut at 90% and then rerun it before I do a gin run with the PC vertical

• Your still deserves a bigger house.

• Cut the hole.....