StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• @Smaug said: Cut the hole.....

I can't its a rental :s the house I am building will have 3-4m of height in the garage with 3phase and access to water(via a 3000L tank) and an infloor drain but thats probably about 1-2years away

• edited March 2017

Spent a couple of hours down in the shed today putting an 8" Dash together for some photos to update the web store.

I was surprised how easy it all went together solo. This is the stock configuration now with the Electric Parrot, Black Chrome sight glass kits shown, but option of Red or Gold also available.

The Business 8" Dash 1 Four Plate, 380 Litre. @ StillDragon Australia

1.jpg
    604 x 800 - 83K
    2.jpg
    636 x 800 - 97K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2017

@punkin. Is that a new 3" PC - same as mine but new version. If it is now wonder it has a lot of grunt on my 5". I like the TC water connections but I finally got mine sealed with ferropre appoxi. Don't know why I had so much trouble with the screw threads and making leak free joints was my business in refrigeration.

I have a T ,horizontal on side leg , at top on my column where I have a temp sensor on top. By the looks of that configuration that would be an ideal place to put an electronic parrot but does the probe sensor enter a fair way, like 100 mm, to get into the stream - or does it need too?

Don't like the U bend on top but don't think anyone would use it on a 8" anyway.

• Did not mean to sound negative there . It is definitely a thing of joy and beauty.

Looked at the electric parrot on the site and it appears plenty long enough to mount in a T

• edited March 2017

I think you might be able to get an additional 4L/hr outta that baby if you replace those (awesome looking) black chrome sightglasses with flame-job sightglasses.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @Kapea said: I think you might be able to get an additional 4L/hr outta that baby if you replace those (awesome looking) black chrome sightglasses with flame-job sightglasses.

Pretty sure that is a plausible assertion!

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited March 2017

Yes ran out of red SGK's (hot seller) but have 150 more coming on a boat.

One of my customers posted this neat pic of one of his SD stills on my facebook page yesterday, i like it.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 37K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Going back down the shed this morning with Bourbon Girl, gunna convert that unit to a Dash 2 and then to a Crystal Dragon and take some pics.

I'll put her to work populating plates.

• edited March 2017

Dash 2 version;

I moved the Electric Parrot sensor over to the condensor side.

1.jpg
    599 x 800 - 81K
    2.jpg
    510 x 800 - 68K
    3.jpg
    629 x 800 - 84K
    4.jpg
    515 x 800 - 77K

• Me? I'm sticky with my retro, Captain Nemo/steampunk brass SGKs.

20,000 Liters Under the Parrot!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• This is also the first sneak peak of the new reduced height 8" tees in Australia. These are the same height as the other tees in the range and save about 50mm on the standard 8" tees.

• 100mm in height / length for the 8" ??

• 155mm

• edited March 2017

Did some more construction and took more photos of a six plate Dash and a Crystal Dragon.

The Business 8" Dash 2 Six Plate, 380 Litre. @ StillDragon Australia

The Business 8" Crystal Dragon 4 Plate, 380l @ StillDragon Australia

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 65K

• "Today in the Shed" I boiled 5 gallons of water. I think I am done reading :D

• Nother couple of pigs pulled to bits today. Still got my half porky to do in the morning plus pump and brine the bacons and hams.

• I don't care _**what **_the language differences are; when you do a half porky in the morning, I don't wanna hear about it. =))

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited April 2017

Received my order of 3" gaskets from @punkin last night so my 5 cookie jars have new alcohol safe gaskets, the rubber ones seem ok (I wrapped them in teflon tape) but its good to have something that will last :)

Also I am in the process of building up supply's of UJSSM but keep killing the coupler on my mill (have ordered a lovejoy one now $40) managed to grind 2.5kg of the cracked stuff down and just put another 2kg of cracked in. 4.5kg of sugar 5L of backseat and 18L of water, so total of 30L in the fermentor.

The other fermentor that I did the other day was 5kg corn, 6kg sugar, 5L backseat and the rest water, I managed to siphon 16L out of it so topped her up with water again and an extra 3kg of sugar

I am using raw sugar, hoping to have enough to do a run over anzac weekend as I have 50L of rum and 50L of apple cider to run this weekend, and some modified CFW for the GF as she likes it

Have ordered another corona mill for corn as well, and I need to get some more grain as I am getting low so that I can crank out some more AG mashes for whiskey and Bourbon

The stock feed place up the road has unmalted barley etc so need to go get some sacks and just use some pilsner or ale malt to convert it.

• I installed a SPDT switch in my power controller. It has three positions marked 0, 1, 2. I have set 0 to bypass the SSVR. 1 (centre) opens the circuit and 2 routes the current via the SSVR. I figured why not bypass the SSVR when all you are after is a quick heat up?

• @what

hey mate every time I look at the today in the shed post's I always see your first post. Have you had a chance to finish your boiler? I would love to see the finished result if you have.

• Woot time, i finally have my own fork lift today in the shed!

Pics tomorrow.

• @punkin said: Woot time, i finally have my own fork lift today in the shed!

Pics tomorrow.

Congratulations on extending your personal service life.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Yes lifting a pallet onto the ute one box at a time is getting old, there is a fork in the complex i can borrow, if they are there when i am there and they aren't using it etc.

This old girl won't get used a lot, but enough to make it worthwhile owning i'm sure.

• Your spine thanks you, I'm sure.

• Was that time a shipment of like 48 30g barrels that were supposed to come on a lift gate truck ... didn't.

We scored on our lift, guy got booted out of his warehouse space and the landlord parked his Crown in the lot with a tarp over it, told him he was going to give it away if he didn't get rid of it. Not going to complain at all.

• edited May 2017

Kicked over and started up fine cold this morning reconditioned diesel. I have it on loan for a few days but will ring the owner today and talk turkey.

I know what he wants for it through the fork place and it's not far away from what it's worth so reckon we'll come to an arrangement. If i find i need a slightly larger one i'll upgrade in a year or two.

forklift1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 106K

• Diesel 'yoda? Nice rig, most out here are LP. That looks like a good sized truck, 1.5 ton? Why do you need more than that?

• When the parts orders come in they are in large crates the size of boiler crates with 20-50 boxes inside each crate.
    Most of them are over 2 ton with hundreds of triclamps and boxes of condensors etc.

I can work around it easily enough, have the delivery guys bring them on a tail lift (i buy them beer at xmas) and it's only 3-4 times a year.
    I was looking for a 2.5t but i didn't want to wait anymore. This suits my budget and i contacted the owner today and will go see him on Monday. Pretty sure we'll strike a deal one way or the other.

• Have someone sit on the ass end, it's good for another half ton, don't tell OSHA.