StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• It's a cracker Jez.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks @punkin I still need to clean the external welds but the inside has been done and give it a good steam clean. Made from 3mm 304. 600 diax670 high. just waiting on my new duck bill burner to arrive hopefully next week :D

• 190 litres, nice. So a working capacity of 150 or so?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Did you mig weld it jez?

• @punkin yeah 120-150 was what I was aiming for. Just makes more sense with my new system.

@rossco I didn't but a couple of blokes from my work tig welded it.

• The rolled knuckle looks good.

• @jacksonbrown Thanks.My work use to build a lot of the tank for the wine industry and tanks for coopers etc but they have seemed to have lost there drive for that type of work.so many machines just sitting there doing nothing, robot welder, vertical welder and rollers, knuckler, rotational seem welder its all just sitting there waiting to be used.i managed to get my tank built after a lot of crap but at a great price just have to make the beer for the xmas party. :D

• If you've got kids I recon you'll want to cap that angle on the legs too. They'll wipe the end of a finger off like a cigar cutter like that.
    It'll be better for cleaning too.

• @jacksonbrown I have kids but they have left home and the sharp edges have been taken off already and you can run your hand/fingers over it with no sharp edges. I was going to cap it but we ran out of time so will look at it in the near future. thanks for your input though it helps

• edited November 2016

@jez said: cut, rolled and fabricated in a day, time for a beer :)

That's going to make a nice boiler! I need friends like you!

• Makes a good place to store tools like mash paddles and hydrometers!

• @jez have you got a very bottom drain So u can clean just with a hose?

• @cooperville no mate I was thinking about it but I'm using a gas burner underneath.

• Crankandstein did not survive 4 bushels of rye into the 4,000 pounds total.

Sheared off the idle roller shaft.

• :((

"We can rebuild him"

• edited November 2016

it was the drive shaft kept breaking in mine. You can rebuild them, but in my experience that doesn't stop them breaking.

We can upgrade him.

• @jez for the cost and convenience chat to punkin about turning electric it's the way of the future

• Back in business, thank god for machinists.

• Should there be a keyway that shears a key in half? Just drop in another one?
    The beauty of the mechanical fuse.

• That's going to be one fine boiler. How many gallons?

• @jacksonbrown said: Should there be a keyway that shears a key in half? Just drop in another one?
    The beauty of the mechanical fuse.

Reread, idle roller. Hmm.

• @FloridaCracker around 40 gallons. It will get its first run this weekend with 100 litres - 26 gallons of 40% low wines. Just making neutral

• I am partaking in a bit of schadenfreude today - all those fragile little cupcakes quivering in disbelief in their safe spaces... :-*

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @jez said: FloridaCracker around 40 gallons. It will get its first run this weekend with 100 litres - 26 gallons of 40% low wines. Just making neutral

Perfect size. Wish I had fab skills like that. Show us pictures of it with the SD stuff on it.

• edited November 2016

Patched up a dog.

dog.jpg
    600 x 800 - 75K
  • 5l of degreaser and 2 hours on the pressure washer under my pergola is a clean and shiny roof.

As a bloke i don't notice how dirty and grimy things are getting till someone points it out. In this case one of my mates asked if my pressure washer was broken..... :))

• @punkin said: 5l of degreaser and 2 hours on the pressure washer under my pergola is a clean and shiny roof.

Picture or it didn't happen :))

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• In my mind, your pergola looks like an operating room; Sterile.

• edited November 2016

Been away most of the year but now back and time to catch up. Today I put down 46 litres of modified kit dark ale. Also 160 l TPW and 45 l of fruity Gordo or Muscatel concentrate to have a go at my Pisco and if this first brew works ok I will make a whole lot more to and make a grape neutral for Raki / ouzo brew through the gin head.

Also got the replacement lens for my 8 plate addition to my 4 plate ss existing. Got local welder to weld in two 1/2" sockets into my boiler for two fancy thermometers I scored over the last months ( a genuine new old Dobbie ss 1/2" bsp thermowell steam train boiler thermometer with spare glass thermometer for $11 - thank you eBay ) and a 3" dial mechanical unit. Should have got an extra for a direct 3mm compression fitting for a bare thermocouple but could take out the mechanical dial unit as it will probably be useless other than quick visual.

Loaded the boiler with 15 litres 82% stripped neutral that has been sitting around a while.

All I have to do now is finish the construction of the all cleaned crystal and ss bits and rewire the new 3600w still dragon element and carrier then run a new 6 mm power cord to shed and we are ready to go. 50l keg with 8400watts (two 2400 plus 3600 )heating so it won't take long to get going.

As I had a whole lot of sterilisation happening I soaked the plates in star San and they came up nice. The Tarac grape concentrate was interesting 10 l concentrate and 35 l water came up about 1085sg. I meant to adjust the ph up a bit from 3 but in haste I forgot till to late so hope it will be ok. It tasted really nice and had Pisco written all over it so fingers crossed.

Big day.