StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• Just scored a 70 gallon tank that I will be converting to a boiler. FINALLY I will be able to run all of my wash at once (42 gallons) and might start using a 55 gallon fermenter. Getting a list together for @Smaug on parts to get it operational and hope to get started on it soon.

I'm going to use two 5500 ULWD ripple elements on this boiler. Both to bring it up to temp and then just one to keep it going. My current rig only uses one and my controller was set up for just that one. Question: What size breaker will I need to use both of these elements at full blast? I have a 200 amp service in the garage and not much being used at any given time unless I am welding, which I won't be doing while distilling. Also, I have found the how-to on setting up the controller for one but can't find plans for setting up for two.

This tank is solid as shit. I don't know how thick but it would be hard to dent. Once I get the parts I will take it to a pro welder to have it welded correctly. I have a plasma cutter so I can cut out the openings myself.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 63K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 82K
  • Make two 30amp circuits...I assume just adding one to the existing.

While having welding done...add an extra element port or two. I'm betting you'll end up wanting more than two elements.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Good idea. The size of this boiler will be almost 5 times larger than what I have now (converted keg). It will be nice looking at the 5" column on a larger boiler as it looks kind of ridiculous now, lol.

• What a beautiful boiler Florida!

• Thanks Rock. Once I get all of the welding done I will break out the polishing compound. It should clean up nice since it doesn't have any serious scratches. It was used in a tea plant so there shouldn't be too many volatiles in it.

What do you guys recommend for a cleaning run? My column doesn't need that kind of cleaning so should I even attach it or just leave the boiler open on the top? I have a couple of gallons of fores and heads I could use or maybe just citric acid. Thoughts?

• I'd start with a soak with sodium percarbonate in hot water. it will get rid of a lot of crap. rinse well after.

• @crozdog said: I'd start with a soak with sodium percarbonate in hot water. it will get rid of a lot of crap. rinse well after.

I agree then a good steam run should do it especially since it was used for food grade tea tree

• Thanks. I've decided to go with Dad's advice of 3 5500w elements right off the bat with an extra port in case I want to add another one. Not being an electrician, I am still fuzzy about the wiring. I now have one line coming into my controller box that is the same cord that I use for my welder. Thick cord handles 220. Since I am going with 3 elements, what would be the best way to bring power to the box? 3 separate 30 amp lines would be impractical and I'm sure that one would be way too small. My rig luckily is set up close to my breaker panel. I'm comfortable doing the wiring if I have solid advice and I am hesitant to bring in an electrician for obvious reasons.

What would you guys do?

Also, can anyone recommend a box that will hold 3-4 controllers and all of the associated electronics?

• @FloridaCracker I've been eyeballing this one. With an 80A external heatsink it's supposed to be able to run 3 SSR's in parallel. You could then run it with the boil controller to drive 3 elements in parallel.

Ideally, you'd go in with a single supply but I think it's more economical to go in with a dedicated line for each heater as the wire, connectors etc. get exponentially higher for the additional Amps you need to run in the panel.

• edited August 2016

@FloridaCracker here's my basic thought:

• Auber panel with 80A external heatsink is capable of mounting 3 SSR's.
    • Auber DSPR220/400 is capable of driving up to 5 SSR's in parallel.
    • Simplistically speaking, wire 3 220V connections into a control box, use one for the first element & controller, remaining two for elements only.

Benefit:

• Instead of switching elements on/off at full power, you reduce the effective watt density of the elements by modulating power on all at the same time, thus reducing risk of scorchin.
    • You can get fancier by adding contactors on switches for each element as safetys etc. but that's my main thought.

Sorry for the rough drafting - only having excel available at the moment...

Auber Wiring.jpg
    800 x 412 - 31K
  • I hope you can come over personally so we can go eat...

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Thanks so much Unsensible for the schematic. It's just what I need. I'm going to get the temp probe and also use it. My boiler has an extra port on top that I'm thinking about using for the probe. It won't be in the liquid but should give a good indication of the vapor temp at the top of the tank and I'm thinking that I can use that as a reading for controlling the elements via the Auber. Thoughts?

Smaug, I REALLY need to find an excuse to get back down there for a visit. Anyone in the SE Florida area should stop by just to wander in the warehouse and drool.

• While you're at it, get a 1/2" nipple or better a 1.5" TC welded in the middle to mount a temp probe. Much easier that way.

• I have some extra 2" triclamp rtd sensors, I think the probe length is like 5 or 6 inches. They have a waterproof connection housing.

• Working on my gin library. Single infusion of juniper, caraway, lavender, and coriander done today. Planning on orange peel, citrus peel, star anise, cassia, fennel seed, and some hops next. Any additional suggestions?

• Knowing nothing about gin i always wanted to do a szechuan peppercorn infusion.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Kegged 10 gallons of a Redback Original clone, racked 17 gallons of TPW into the boiler along with 4 gallons of TPW low wines. Going to run it through 3' of packed 3" column tomorrow, going to be a long day in the shed. Thinking of throwing down a panela ferment next.

• edited September 2016

@Unsensibel said: Working on my gin library. Single infusion of juniper, caraway, lavender, and coriander done today. Planning on orange peel, citrus peel, star anise, cassia, fennel seed, and some hops next. Any additional suggestions?

Just from my personal gin, black pepper, grains of paradise, and orris root. Just ran some off today.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• @Unsensibel said: Working on my gin library. Single infusion of juniper, caraway, lavender, and coriander done today. Planning on orange peel, citrus peel, star anise, cassia, fennel seed, and some hops next. Any additional suggestions?

No experience with gin, but I do have some with star anise and I will tell you that a little goes a loooonnnggg way. One star will flavor gallons of spirit. I used one in a spiced rum and ended up with spiced licorice.

• here is my library:

Juniper - Juniperus communis, 
    Corriander - Coriandrum sativum, 
    Allspice - Pimenta dioica, 
    Angelica Root - Angelica archangelica, 
    Anise Seed - Pimpinella anisum, 
    Bitter Almonds - prunus dulcis, amara, 
    Blue Vervain - Verbena hastata, 
    Caraway seed - Corum carvi, 
    Cardamom - Elettaria cardamomum, 
    chamomile - Matricaria chamomilla, 
    cinnamon - Cinnamomum cassia, 
    cinnamon - Cinnamomum verum, 
    Cinnamon - cinnamomum zeylanicum, 
    Cubeb berries - piper cubeba, 
    Cucumber - Cucumis sativus, 
    Fennel Seed - Foeniculum vulgare, 
    Ginger - zingiber officinale, 
    Grains of Paradise - Aframomum melegueta, 
    Horehound - Marrubium vulgare, 
    Hyssop - Hyssopus officinalis, 
    Lavandin (Lavender) Flowers - Lavandula spp., 
    Lemon peel - citrus limon, 
    Lemon Verbena - Aloysia citriodora, 
    Lemongrass - Cymbopogon citratus, 
    Licorice root - glycyrrihiza sp., 
    Orange peel - bitter - Citrus aurantium, 
    Orange peel - sweet - Citrus sinensis, 
    Orris Root - Iris germanica, 
    Peppercorn - Black - Piper nigrum, 
    Peppercorn - White - Piper nigrum, 
    Pink Peppercorn - Schinus terebinthifolius, 
    Star Anise - Illicium verum, 
    Tarragon - Artemisia dracunculus, 
    Verbena - Verbena officinalis,

• I used to put two big double handfuls of star anise in the pot with 8 litres when making Arak/Ouzo. It's the star ingredient.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Well, I went to run my TPW today and realized I took my SD controller apart to add an ammeter/voltmeter to it but couldn't find all the parts to reassemble. I ended up using one of those 10,000w SCR deals from Amazon and wired it up in about 10 minutes to run this batch. Works great and the fan is working fine. Sure enough during the run I found all the parts for my SD one.

This TPW Vodka is tasting great too!

• that is what runs are for, finding stuff you wanted to find before the run... so don't rush your run, you will find more stuff!

• @crozdog said: I'd start with a soak with sodium percarbonate in hot water. it will get rid of a lot of crap. rinse well after.

How much should I add for 70 gallons?

• 70% Oxiclean(perfume and dye free) with 30% TSP/90 (sodium metasilicate)

Super-charge your Oxiclean @ Bertus Brewery

• @zymurgybob @FloridaCracker - Thanks!

@CothermanDistilling - Thanks as well, how are you running the cucumber and ginger?

• cucumber 6 ways, in vapor path with and without peel, soaked and removed from 100 proof (with and without peel), soaked and removed from 160(with and without peel)... the least 'vegetal' so far is the 160 without peel...

ginger I have only done vapor through slices, but would like to try some other ways... many spices require grinding (black peppercorn, some do not (pink peppercorn) some just a light crush (juniper, corriander)

• I did an cucumber infusion/maceration once and it turned out waaaay to vegetal to drik straight (very good in a bloody mary though). Will try some soak and vapor and see how it comes out.

Looks like I need to buy a grinder if I'm getting more serious about doing more as I currently only have a mortar and pestle that holds about 3/4 cup.

• I use this, it works like a charm for everything that is less than 100g...

you should not need anything bigger unless commercial, for 40L of gin, I use about a kilo of juniper (use use a 2-roller crankenstein feed mill) and 400g corriander (use regular beer grain mill, my 3-roller crankenstein)

coffee.jpg
    449 x 418 - 33K
  • edited September 2016

Me too. Haro seems to be an OK brand.
    I'd add a motor to that one before buying a bigger one.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 54K