StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• @rossco said: This is the still method I use to make rum Grim. It comes out OK for me.

Poor rum. I feel sorry for it.

Nasty bastards making your rum grim. :))

BetYouTellItWarStoriesPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Filtered, mixed, and diluted another batch of hibiscus flower liquer. This time with white panela rum as base.

Yum!!!

• Ran another two-minute stripping run this morning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URT86tpHPC4

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited July 2016

@Unsensibel said: Filtered, mixed, and diluted another batch of hibiscus flower liquer. This time with white panela rum as base.

Yum!!!

Love the hibiscus flavour!
    Do you do this with fresh flowers? All I can get are the ones preserved in syrup.

• @mark85 said: Do you do this with fresh flowers? All I can get are the ones preserved in syrup.

No fresh flowers in Michigan. I'm buying "Jamaica" from the Mexican grocery store.

• edited July 2016

Today is the 7th anniversary of my first still run. Run no.1 was 40L of WPOSW run through Long Tall Sally, my 2" x 48" copper tube - SS scrubber packed VM column.

Today I am running 25L of low wines, stripped from dark brown sugar ferments, through four 4" procap plates, to make some silver rum.

When that's done I may run Kapea's Number 27 Gin through Joelle, my GB4, if it's not too late in the evening...

Maybe next year it will be legal to do so.

• edited July 2016

@Kapea said: Maybe next year it will be legal to do so.

Oh please, please... let's make this happen in the USA. Other countries have seen the light, the bygone era of the Prohibition is gone, let's finally put the archaic "tax law" to bed.

• edited July 2016

Filling up the cooling water reservoir:

image.jpg
    800 x 533 - 80K

• edited August 2016

Made some room for the new mash tun

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 119K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 60K
  • edited August 2016

We converted the refrigerant jacket on our Mueller milk tank to run water - it works great.

• @grim good to know, I was planning on doing similar. Do you just cool/heat or "swing both ways " if you know what I mean ? :))

• Ha - we heat with direct steam injection and cool with the jacket. I would imagine you might be able to push low pressure steam through, but I'd be concerned about thermal stresses tearing everything apart.

• edited August 2016

Cheers @grim, looks like I need to source a steam boiler and some injectors.

• @grim said: Ha - we heat with direct steam injection and cool with the jacket.

Sorry for the 'newbie' asking silly questions, but with this you're saying that you're using steam to hear the wash in your boiler?!? Doesn't that further dilute it? I had always assumed (dangerous, I know) that the steam was pumped into a Jacket around the outside of the boiler (boiler sitting in a bath) to bring up the temperature...

How far am I off???

• @EZiTasting he is talking mash, not distillation...

• @EZiTasting - I got your PM, I think it is best id you just search the forum for the word "injection ", read a few dozen posts/threads, and understand that there is ~500x more energy involved in the steam to water conversion than there is in heating the mash one degree... go watch a cappuccino being made, steam boils the milk and does not significantly add to the liquid volume...

• edited August 2016

The latent heat of vaporization of water (steam to water) is 2265kJ/kg. You gain 2,264,760 joules of energy for every 2,000 grams of water that condenses from steam.

Or 271 calories per gram.

There is a shitload of energy stored in steam.

• I had 2257 in my 'cooling water required.xlsx' spreadsheet... I wonder what the diff is? anyway, water is 4kj/kg... 2200 is 500x bigger than 4.... so if the steam bubbles do not make it to the top, and you want to take 100kilos of water from from 20 to 100, you just put in about 12 kilos of steam... sure, you now have 112 kilos of water, but just factor that in...

• edited August 2016

We worked out it was about 12-15% when i built my steam injection mash tun/stripping still years ago.

blackbetty1.jpg
    800 x 601 - 75K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I paid for mine at UCF

Oh, thats UFC right?

giphy.gif
    320 x 180 - 2M

• Hah, just yesterday I told my young one that school only gives you a beginning! The real learning comes later... Should have listened to myself! Thank you, time to do some homework

• @punkin said: Oh, thats UFC right?

Yeah, that's me.

• edited August 2016

@CothermanDistilling said: I had 2257 in my 'cooling water required.xlsx' spreadsheet... I wonder what the diff is? anyway, water is 4kj/kg... 2200 is 500x bigger than 4.... so if the steam bubbles do not make it to the top, and you want to take 100kilos of water from from 20 to 100, you just put in about 12 kilos of steam... sure, you now have 112 kilos of water, but just factor that in...

Actually 4.184, and that's probably your difference

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• @zymurgybob said: Actually 4.184, and that's probably your difference

I have 4.184, that is the specific heat of water, or the heat required to change liquid 1C but stay liquid... the "Specific evaporation enthalpy for water at standard atmosphere " I had at 2257, that is the energy to change liquid to vapor without really increasing temperature.. this is in my cooling water required.xls I posted a while back @kapea had 2265kJ/kg (or 2,264,760)...

• edited August 2016

Love me some steam. Nothing like unlimited near-boiling water on-demand for the mash tun.

Pushing about 5gpm - I can go hotter and faster, but my carbon and uv water system is only 5gpm to kill the chloramine.

About 300kbtu real world transfer, just shy of 90kw electric equivalent.

image.jpg
    800 x 612 - 48K
  • edited August 2016

Why UV and carbon?

• edited August 2016

Chlorine and chloramine.

Our municipality uses both, at various levels throughout the year, depending on specific water source (we have both closed and open air water storage).