StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• If your UV is intense enough carbon is redundant, with free chlorine or chloramines.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited August 2016

Spent the afternoon out at Bay St. Louis doing a steam clean on my newly modified rig (RS-25):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWfvFhm_tos

• I should drop one of them donks in the Hilux %-(

• edited August 2016

Was told Chlorine/Chloramine destruction requires 10-20x dosage vs disinfection flow rates, probably not powerful enough.

• We use 30X to make sure. Open it up while in operation for an instant suntan!

• edited August 2016

@jacksonbrown said: I should drop one of them donks in the Hilux %-(

Zero to Mach 23 in 7 minutes, thirty seconds... Straight up!

• edited August 2016

ooops

• @Rockchucker I just get an error message from that link.

• edited August 2016

New build

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 82K
  • edited August 2016

Next

2.jpg
    439 x 800 - 64K
  • edited August 2016

8-X

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 49K
  • edited August 2016

:-S

2.jpg
    302 x 800 - 45K
  • Because it's hideous Rock! :)) :)) :)) looks good man!

I racked 20 gallons of rum wash to boiler and started assembling only to find I am missing a gasket. Guess no parrot for me when I run the still tomorrow morning.

• aaah just make one outa something... daaa

• It's the little 3/4" one, plus I don't really need the parrot on there. If I needed it, I could use some silicone tubing but not too worried. As a matter of fact I might have an o ring that will fit it just fine.

• @Rockchucker said: No love :-\"

Pictures were too small to see when you posted it yesterday, housekeeping has been through and posted them properly now.

Good job and your skills are great.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited August 2016

@punkin said: Pictures were too small to see when you posted it yesterday, housekeeping has been through and posted them properly now.

Good job and your skills are great.

Thanks mate!

• Did the Honey thing I have written about in the past today, was hosting the local homebrew club for a mead-making day...

I mixed 300g of honey with 750ml of 80 proof vodka, and distilled off about 550ml of it... I let the honey backset cool to 100 degrees, thinned to 22 brix (1 liter total) and pitched a full packet of 1116 (I think) and it took off in just a few minutes....

The distillate is very strong in aroma... absent in honey flavor... as expected... The backset is strong in honey flavor, but very low in aroma, which is what wasexpected

I plan to mix them in varying percentages after the mead clears... I mixed a small taster glass 5:1 before pitching and it was really interesting and all the mead lovers loved it.... I also shot a couple milliliters into a standard beer and wow... it made a New Belgium triple taste like a most excellent honey triple..

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 118K
    2.jpg
    450 x 800 - 90K
  • I distill mead on four bubble plates, mead brandy, as it were. Then I use the brandy to fortify the mead it is distilled from to 40 proof. It is the most requested beverage I serve in my home. It is crystal clear.

The nice thing about it is that the mead going into the boiler doesn't need to clear and age to the same extent the mead being fortified does.

Also, you can raise the proof of a lower alcohol sweet(ish) mead without back-sweetening.

• I was the founder and orginal organizer of the Meadllenium.

• Rock, I have always been a HUGE fan of your custom boiler. Wish the guy who built it was closer to me.

Oh, mad skills on the fab work.

• @Rockchucker great work mate. love the pride of place shot in the lounge room

I'm trying to work out what the additional tubing on the first pic is for.

• Water flush? I was looking at it upside down I think. Is it a split column with packed section on the boiler?

• edited August 2016

@crozdog said: Rockchucker great work mate. love the pride of place shot in the lounge room

I'm trying to work out what the additional tubing on the first pic is for.

Thanks and yea sorry not 100% complete but Jackson got it correct. It's a dual column the 3/4" is the drain so the packed section won't flood.

• AHHH. cool. it was the vertical tube on the return that got me.

• 1st iPad Air screen transplant complete.

It's alive!!! ... again

• @Unsensibel said: 1st iPad Air screen transplant complete.

It's alive!!! ... again

As I read this on my Gen 3 IPad with a cracked screen, :D

Stripped some piloncillo rum yesterday and started working on new control panel.