StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

No Topic Thread

Comments

• @punkin At least your brother has good taste

• I've had several Harleys down through the years, but my big regret is not bringing the '55 Triumph Terrier with me when I moved back to The States. It rode bigger than the 8hp that it was. Cool bike for certain.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Mine is an 81 Bonnie. Pity I live in straight Rd country as it loves the twisties

• edited October 2017

• edited October 2017

35' - 40' faces:

image.jpg
    800 x 533 - 53K

• Can hear it from here.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• They shake the ground for miles inland.

• edited October 2017

One day Pe'ahi was really going off and Bruddah Iz wrote a song, Men Who Ride Mountains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1bBMcKtOik

• Boom Boom shake the room...that's a farkin lot of water.

• edited November 2017

Big storm on Nullarbor

image.jpg
    800 x 473 - 42K
  • edited November 2017

Packing still and cleaning out the cupboard where i keep the spirit library i found this dusty old bottle. Batch 1.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 51K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• How is it?

• Not game to open it. Maybe in a couple weeks i'll break a small bottle down and sample.

Bet it's shit.

• Did you leave any oak in the bottle?

• yes theres a toasted stick in there

• There was a stack more stuff too including allgrain triticale, oats, corn and barleys, peach brandy, mandarin and dunder rums (not from a pit) and there was even a white coriander all grain. all from 07 through to 09 when i was heavily experimenting.

• edited November 2017

Just fitting and preparing a RC for welding. Scary amount of welds and just how heavy it is.

1.jpg
    800 x 452 - 81K
  • edited November 2017

And the PC

2.jpg
    800 x 452 - 60K
  • That's a big ass reflux condenser

• edited November 2017

Big ass reflux condensers are very very sensitive to flow changes.

When undersized, sure, you can't efficiently put the column into full reflux, but they are very forgiving.

Oversized, easy to put into 100% reflux, but if you aren't controlling flow rate/temperature impeccably, it's easy to spike the reflux ratio up, and then it takes nearly forever to recover. It's a huge amount of thermal mass.

If you can control the big ass, they are very very efficient.

• In what i am doing which is a 400 Litre LM type still, it is 100% all the time in +100% reflux. i.e. no control. It's function is to nock it all down.

• Subcooling still a risk though.

• edited December 2017

Just loving the seachange so far. The weather is brilliant and the sea is a couple blocks away. Few blocks further is a creek that's expanded into a small 'lake' that opens and closes periodically to the sea (open now). If the wind is blowing or the surfs up i can swim in the lake.
    Took the kayak down there for a paddle and a swim yesterday, it was excellent.

The only drawback so far weather wise is the humidity is higher, but the water soon cools you off.

Weather here this week;

Weather back in Tamworth;

Just as an example, the difference tween 30c/86F and 36C/97f next Thursday is welcome. The difference tween 80% humidity and 55% humidity tomorrow....not so much.

weather1.jpg
    656 x 603 - 82K
    weather2.jpg
    658 x 608 - 84K

• edited December 2017

I used to post about the weather here on Gilligan's Island. I soon found people did not find it amusing, as they sat stuck inside their homes due to the shitty weather outside. So now I just post pictures of the cool places and things I see in my day-to-day life.

I grew up moving around a lot. I saw how relatively easy it is to live just about anywhere you choose, if you put your mind to it. Then over time I realized that I did not want to spend the rest of my life wishing I was someplace else. That's when I decided to move to my favorite place in the known universe - and I did.

I am really happy for you and your success @punkin. You new digs look amazing. Good on you Skippy!

FWIW it was 59F (15C) inside the house at sunrise down here at sea level this morning! BRRRRRRRRRRR!!!
    and
    We had our first snowfall here back in October, and several more since.

• Thanks Kapea. I've known for a few years now that my business was portable and i could choose to work from anywhere.

Just hadn't taken the plunge till now. Small town here too, very friendly people. I couldn't think of anywhere else i wished i was, maybe if family were closer is all (but not too close :)) )

The Rampie is a big hit in town here and i get comments and stares every day while driving it. Yesterday i went in to the chemists and all the girls came out and walked up into the back so i could take staff xmas photos for their xmas cards and calendar.

Little ol Corvair will be a pin up girl.

When i get caught up on my work i'm going to explore the inshore fishing a little. There'll be mudcrabs about now. Oysters are cheap, local and fantastic and i'm eating a dozen live a couple times a week atm.

• Life's not all a bowl of roses though. The weightlifting gym in the shed next door has just started up at 7am with thrash metal playing and weights thumping. ~X(

• Make a recording of non-stop dog barking and play it loud when it's quite next door.

• I like to get on with my neighbours as much as possible.

Kookaburras wake me up in the mornings if i sleep in till 5 am. They're pretty cool.

• I guess all the laughter must drown out the head-banging from the shed next door... :))

• Could be worse, there's a kickboxing gym a bit up the street. You oughta hear the racket those people make.