StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Brewski - The Beer Thread - For Our Beer Lovers!

Comments

• Oktoberfest in June?

• edited June 2016

Leftovers from March. If you freeze them, almost, they'll make it to the end of September.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited June 2016

When I keg my beer I throw the slops of each fermenter into a keg all together. It comes out as a cloudy beer and often has more than on style involved, we never had a name for them but generally seem to refer to them as mongrel kegs. I put one on ATM, the best we can figure it is AG golden/amber/sparkling ale. It is so good. Not possible to replicate but a real treat.

• I had Gueuze Lambic last night. I won't be doing that again.

• edited June 2016

Yeah, if you're not a fan of the style it is certainly a, "wuzup widdat shit?!" kind of beer.

Funny thing is, somebody worked really hard to make it that way - on purpose!

freistädter_midium.jpg
    600 x 800 - 50K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

birell.jpg
    600 x 800 - 51K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Bought a carton of Ballast Points Sculpin IPA yesterday after the SA brew guys were raving about it.

Not my cup of tea really, it's actually sour from the grapefruit and that lays on top of the bitterness uncomfortably for me. It overides the hop taste as well which is what i love about Ballast Points beers.

At $100 a carton i won't be rushing back for another, but i don't have that choice either as Dans only got allocated one carton per store and it's a 3.5 hour drive to the next one for me.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2016

When it's fresh it's very good. I had some on tap in San Diego.

The 22 oz. bombers we get here are not so fresh and way overbalanced toward the bitter side. Not worth $9.99 IMHO.

• Sculpin has a truck load of american hops with high cohumulone (= bitter if not balanced). I also don't like the grapefruit. I find that some of my beers had that harsh back of throat lingering astringency...one of the things I found was not to dry hop for more than 3 days. Its a bugger when you spend big coin on beer you dont like. My current fav is the humble (and cheap) Gage Roads atomic pale. Really tasty and sessionable.

• edited June 2016

Atomic is a goodun yes. I love the Bigeye from Ballast Point and also their APA. The Bigeye is on the edge of my bitterness tolerance.

I do say that the next of the sculpins i had next day went down much better after they were chilled properly. Still not my very favourite but pretty good.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I can only drink those Sculpins with a big trough of raw shellfish.

• The grapefruit one is pretty weak, the original has the citrus from the hops (where it should come from anyway). I'm happy you like Big Eye, it doesn't get much love here in SD anymore but I'll have a quick taster almost everytime I visit one of the breweries. We often do Black Eyes too (Big Eye w/ a splash of Black Marlin)

eidenberger_herz_blut.jpg
    600 x 800 - 97K

• WOW I'd drink those. Lovely colour.

• @rossco said: WOW I'd drink those. Lovely colour.

Heart blood

• edited August 2016

@Kapea said: Heart blood

Genau.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

lecker.jpg
    600 x 800 - 78K

• The little lamb is getting big!

• edited August 2016

kaltenhauser_bernstein.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K

• Made 135litres of Saaz/Plisner fermenting nicely at 14deg.

• edited August 2016

Was a bit bored last Monday whilst organising air trap tubes for my cider concentrate fermentation, so I bought a home brew Pislener kit (23L).

What a mess without proper headspace allowance.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 42K
  • @richard said: What a mess without proper headspace allowance.

You are not a true homebrewer if you've never had to mop the ceiling.

tennents_stout.jpg
    600 x 800 - 39K

• @Kapea said: You are not a true homebrewer if you've never had to mop the ceiling.

Yep, especially brewing using white labs wheat yeast....vigorous buggers

• I use blow off valves on anything over 55litres. 90litre ferments over 1050 go fairly hard.

tennents_india_pale_ale.jpg
    600 x 800 - 39K

• From being The Doctor to being a brewer. Impressive!
    (hope it doesn't taste like polyjuice potion)

• If that was for Me Kapea. Large volumes are because we are subtropical and lager yeast will only work for a couple of weeks a year. Have to make it whilst we can.

• edited August 2016

No, it is an arcane Doctor Who/Harry Potter reference, regarding @SDeurope's photo...