StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Brewski - The Beer Thread - For Our Beer Lovers!

Comments

• Excellent haul. I'm getting constant pressure to pull mine out so she doesn't have to water them. I'm starting to crack too.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2016

small and sweet? :-/

lost in translation... B-)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @punkin said: Betcha can find Franziskanner Weisbeir in 500's.

Amarillo is one of my favourites Johnboy, that and simcoe and centennial.

I have Cascade growing in three planters out the back grim, the hail has decimated them 3 years running.

That's a fine looking maibaum you've got there @punkin!

• edited February 2016

Yep. luckily i mad it demountable, so if the hops go it just slides off the mount and cut the mount off and lay the pavers back over it. You'll never even know it was there.

4.8m from ground to the tip.

hoptrellis1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 121K
    hoptrellis4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 96K
    hoptrellis5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 93K
    john_wayne_quotes_life_is_hard.jpg
    800 x 454 - 42K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited February 2016

Great gift from the boys at BrewDog. A PDF download of the recipe and procedure of every single one of their over 200 beers.

Lets make a post of thanks to them every time we brew one of these gifts.

DIY Dog @ BrewDog

YippFuckingEeI'mExcitedPunkin

• edited February 2016

just measured and milled 30+ kilos of grain in 3/4 hour i'm pretty happy about that.

Doing an 8 cube batch of the new APA i did last time Summer Cricket APA (i have to come up with a better name than that) over the weekend. It's a really good beer, the malt bill is great first go, but a little on the bitter side so i dropped the 20min bittering addition down 20%.

I've been keg hopping at 3gm/lt but i think i'll try 2gms and see how it goes. I' used simcoe as the keg hop instead of centenial as it was on top of the freezer and i'm very happy with the flavour. Just need to tone down the hops overall a bit.

NeverThoughtI'dSayThatPunkin

summercricket1.jpg
    800 x 528 - 71K

• Have you posted anything about your brew setup before?
    How do you mash? Do you bother step mashing?
    Post a link if you've already said somewhere and I missed it.

• edited February 2016

Not sure mate, well i have, but i don't know where.

I have a very basic yet very good setup. Mill master fully geared grain mill. 100l stainless HLT that is fed from my solar hot water that is run to the shed before the temper valve, so i get strike water out of the tap, 120l esky/cooler/chilly bin with a copper manifold, 160l stainless boil pot and then i no chill.

I do back to back 84l batches, so about 5.5-6hours for a 170l/40 gallon brew day.

I have a couple of march pumps i've never used, i have plate chillers and immersion chillers, but i rely on graduated buckets and cubes. It does me ok.

mashtun7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 41K
    boiler23.jpg
    800 x 600 - 74K
    boil4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K
    beercubes1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K
    bar4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K

• Sorachi Ace dry hopping.

Sorachi Ace dry hopping.jpg
    800 x 600 - 123K
  • What are the wires on your wort drain pipes @punkin ?

(Ape hangers on the scooter now?)

• We haven't made our own beer yet, but it's definitely on the to-do list. In the meantime, we are

Supporting Local Breweries: Freistädter Bier

freistaedter_black_bock.jpg
    600 x 800 - 35K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• The color looks fantastic

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• The wires are there to hold it together. I used a Viega to assemble but didn't clamp the long tubes in, so i can disassemble and clean if needed.

The apes are fantastic. Changed the bike from a death trap to a pig. I no longer hang on and hope if i hit a bump in the corner like i did with the stock bars. I did it for looks and comfort on a trip, the handling was a very unexpected bonus.

• edited February 2016

Really good harvest of Chinook and Cascade this year @punkin. Looking at making a couple of pale 10minute IPAs with the proceeds.

2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 143K
    1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 151K
  • Noice.

• Interesting topic, never thought about brewing my own beer, didn't seem worth the effort, considering the price of beer. Can someone post a walk-through from start to end including recipe (something hoppy like an IPA) on how to do it? Is self made beer carbonated or does it bubble on its own (thinking of the ales they hand-pump in the United Kingdom)?

I consider myself a newbie - Thank you for your patience!

• edited February 2016

@Lovejoy said: Interesting topic, never thought about brewing my own beer, didn't seem worth the effort, considering the price of beer. Can someone post a walk-through from start to end including recipe (something hoppy like an IPA) on how to do it? Is self made beer carbonated or does it bubble on its own (thinking of the ales they hand-pump in the United Kingdom)?

:))

How to brew - Everything you need to know to brew beer right the first time

Everything you'll ever need to know.

• edited February 2016

Let The Great Brewing Begin!

Who hasn't done it before, now is the right time to jump right in! =D>

And don't forget to post pictures and more!

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• @Moonshine I've never made beer I have made my own spirits for the last 3 odd years and have only just started looking at beer. So it will be a first time in the next month or so

• @jez said: Moonshine I've never made beer I have made my own spirits for the last 3 odd years and have only just started looking at beer. So it will be a first time in the next month or so

That's the right spirit, keep us updated!

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Many of us started as homebrewers and then moved into distilling.

• Been brewing beer for more than 30 years if you count kit brewing.

• Never tried TPW but went AG first time. Had a buddy showing me the ropes and there was a lot going wrong that time. Still ended up a good whiskey. Since it wasn't that hard, I decided to do beer as well and am hooked now

• edited February 2016

@punkin said: Been brewing beer for more than 30 years if you count kit brewing.

That beats me. I started with a Bass Ale clone kit on St. Patrick's Day 1989. Three batches later I jumped into all grain. A year later I made my first mead. Since then I've thrown yeast at just about anything with sugar in it.

Distilled my first run on July 4, 2009.

• edited March 2016

@punkin said: Great gift from the boys at BrewDog. A PDF download of the recipe and procedure of every single one of their over 200 beers.

Lets make a post of thanks to them every time we brew one of these gifts.

DIY Dog @ BrewDog

For everyone who uses BeerSmith or anything else that can import beerxml, a nice redditor parsed all 200+ recipes released by brewdog into XML files!

Here is the Dropbox link.

Funny thing is - I was looking for PunkIPA recipes just before this was released!

• Does anyone make a turn key HERMS 2-3V system? Kinda like the way a Dash 2 comes just bolt it together and brew. Something that looks professional not a booty fab project that looks rough but gets her done.

• Something that would look the part in the man cave and could be hired by interested peoples wanting to do all grain. helping to pay for my capital investment. Im thinking something that could do 100L batches giving 5 Corny kegs after wastage due to racking off lees. Or maybe also 4 100L conical fermenters to minimise waste and reduce chance of spoilage.

• I linked to this before... not turn key, but maybe anyone handy in stainless could build you one... I heard you have handy people down there ;-) 120L kettles...

egger_zisch_alkoholfrei_naturtrueb_isotonisch.jpg
    600 x 800 - 43K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area