StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Brewski - The Beer Thread - For Our Beer Lovers!

1234568»

Comments

wainwright_the_golden_beer.jpg
    600 x 800 - 57K
    wainwright_the_golden_beer_label.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

hobgoblin_gold.jpg
    600 x 800 - 57K
    hobgoblin_gold_label.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Ive been to Wychwood Brewery several times. Love that place. Also the home of Brakspear these days

ringwood_boon_doggle.jpg
    600 x 800 - 60K

jennings_cocker_hoop.jpg
    600 x 800 - 61K
    jennings_cocker_hoop_label.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K

• Silly Questions Department:- has anyone used home-brew style beer to make a Whisky? What did you try and how did it end up?

• A dubbel and a braggot. Got it from a home brew friend that wanted to clean out his kegs avid wasn't getting them anymore. Made a really good whiskey but imho isn't worth the effort to make from scratch

freistaedter_junghopfenpils.jpg
    600 x 800 - 48K

• @Unsensibel said: A dubbel and a braggot. Got it from a home brew friend that wanted to clean out his kegs avid wasn't getting them anymore. Made a really good whiskey but imho isn't worth the effort to make from scratch

Thank you... trying to explore things and develop my skills from the simple sugarheads...

• @EZiTasting said: Thank you... trying to explore things and develop my skills from the simple sugarheads...

If you know some home brewer, it pays off to join a mashing session. Compared to beer, mashing for whiskey can be done "lazy" as you don't need the boiling.

• I've used some coopers malted ale goo, dex, and some peat smoked malted barley to make a 25 litre whisky wash. Took about a week to ferment. Stripped it through my pot still and then did a spirit run through the pot with tight hearts cut then aged it on toasted chips for a week then realised i'd put too many chips in (double what I should have used). So I strained the extra chips off and let it sit for another week. I thought it seemed a bit oaky, but when friends tasted it, they loved it. Very smooth with a smokey aged taste. They originally thought it was a good 7 year scotch haha

It was a bit of mucking around, a little expensive for the goo, had to mill the barley (with a nutribullet....) and I squeezed out the spent barley by hand but the result was pretty satisfying for a first time. Would I do the same again? Maybe not right now. I want to try a UJSSM or cfw and see how they compare when aged on toasted oak. I'm very much a novice, but that's my experience. Hope the info is of some use.

s

• edited November 2016

@Unsensibel - yes that's a great idea but I little more difficult to execute... still looking for people doing home brews up where I live (regional town Far north WA) but I am looking!!!

@ClubNed - haven't done UJSSM but have a CFW on oak (3months now) looks great, haven't tasted it yet! Too chicken... want to make sure it's good-good before diving in to it... had suggestions of min 6 months butt then there's also other suggestions... much much shorter suggestions...