StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Brewski - The Beer Thread - For Our Beer Lovers!

Comments

• edited March 2016

@Johnboy said: Something that would look the part in the man cave and could be hired by interested peoples wanting to do all grain. helping to pay for my capital investment. Im thinking something that could do 100L batches giving 5 Corny kegs after wastage due to racking off lees. Or maybe also 4 100L conical fermenters to minimise waste and reduce chance of spoilage.

if you are loaded have a look at morebeer or the sabco brew magic.

But a better option IMHO here in Au is to have a chat to Wayne at beerbelly. beerbelly.com.au/ I recall him making something previously. He does do a herms.

Also checkout the hermit and @punkin's RIMS.

• If you give me an email @Johnboy i could put together some pricing for you for a custom brewery from one of our factories in China.

Sounds like something i have been thinking about too, the only thing that has stopped me is keeping fermenters temperature stable with out having a walk in coolroom.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Johnboy said: Does anyone make a turn key HERMS 2-3V system? Kinda like the way a Dash 2 comes just bolt it together and brew. Something that looks professional not a booty fab project that looks rough but gets her done.

Anyone have any experience with these guys?

• edited March 2016

@punkin said: If you give me an email Johnboy i could put together some pricing for you for a custom brewery from one of our factories in China.

Sounds like something i have been thinking about too, the only thing that has stopped me is keeping fermenters temperature stable with out having a walk in coolroom.

With regard to cool room it's easy enough to section off a area in the shed in panel and use a reverse cycle A/C to maintain 18-20 degrees if I had a coil in the fermenters I could cold crash using a water chiller or glycol set up

• The reason I chose 100L is the mash tun can be used for AG bourbon and scotch batches. If I'm not on the right track let me know

• Yeah i know it's easy to do, i'd just never get it past the minister for sour looks.

I mean email me with your requirements mate. punkin@stilldragon.com

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• FYI It is not recommended to post an e-mail address publicly, unless you like SPAM and SCUM. If you want me to remove an e-mail address from a public posting, please tell.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Yes thanks mate

• Details are above turn key 2-3v herms system based on 100L mash tun and 100L conical fermenters to suit

• edited March 2016

Like this

image.jpg
    800 x 597 - 52K
  • would the option of an agitator for corn washes be a hindrance in a beer setting??

• pic is of 50L system

• If you had a sealed mash tun with a variable speed rake on bain marie or steam, you could mash/ferment/distill in one container, or optionally mash or mash and move back to distill, fermenting in another container.

Now THAT would be modular ;-)

• edited March 2016

Had an interesting day today doing an SAB brewery tour through their hop farm followed by golf at Fancourt.

1.jpg
    800 x 452 - 92K
    2.jpg
    800 x 452 - 134K
    3.jpg
    800 x 452 - 126K
    4.jpg
    800 x 452 - 78K
    5.jpg
    800 x 452 - 146K
  • edited March 2016

Thanks for the pics. They really are interesting plants. On Monday I used about 300gm of fresh late season hops to make an IPA. Can't wait to try it.

• just made my first ever beer wash tonight. Its only an extract recipe but was keen to get in and have a go.

• Good on ya mate. Beer geeks would have a fit. It's a wort, not a wash :-w

• jezjez
    edited March 2016

@Punkin thanks for the heads up, wouldn't want to upset those in the know.

• SAB have developed a new hop varietal which is both sweet and lovely floral smelling.

What was really interesting with the hop kernel is the difference in its taste between wet (from the vine) and after drying. Obviously once dried and moisture removed it becomes a lot more bitter.

None the less I am quite keen to get some in kernals before they pelletize and stick it in the Gin basket for vapour infusion. I think that you would get some interesting and crazy tastes coming through.

• If I was to set up small micro what batch size would be ideal as start up ? Was thinking 100L but maybe 300-500L would be a more realistic volume ?

• You need to start with researching your particular market (who you are going to sell to) and do up a business plan from there. Your business plan will tell you your equipment size, you can't really do it the other way.

Say you were going to open a restaraunt and serve your own beer, wine and spirits there. If it was a 20 seat jobbie then a 100l batch may well be enough with one or two brews a week. But if you were to open a restaraunt on a hwy in a large town next to a University with a contract with the tourist buses and were going to have 100 seats and a large outdoor area then you'd want a 5 bbl brewery at least.

• Another side issue and I do not know what it is like on all other sides ..... DISTRIBUTION ...... and this is where I get "peed".

Unfortunately in most cases .... a necessary evil.

They take approx 27% to 35% commission on the sales price for doing this function. Absolute highway robbers.

• @jez nothing wrong with extract at all, I still love some of the beers I used to make that way. Sometimes there isn't time to do all grain

• jezjez
    edited March 2016

@Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co thanks I had to start somewhere.

This is what I made up:

1500 grm light liquid malt
    1000 grm of dry malt
     150 grm crystal grain
     600 grm of dextrose
      40 grm of target 11.5% @ 60 mins
      20 grm of Amarillo 8.2% @ 0 mins
      20 grm of Amarillo 8.2% dry 3-4 days before bottling

Should work out to 5.5% ABV 58 IBU I hope.

• Renter's got new appliances, I got a new fridge in the shop.. power washed the crap out of it and christened it with some brewski's... It is in the 'bonded area', I guess if an official asks, they are 'R&D Samples'...

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 64K
  • I see you're running it with an STC, i have about 6 of these things now, including one on the little drinks all fridge. Used to freeze up all the time but set on 2c it works a charm.
    Just have to get used to the light not being on all the time.

Picked up a big all fridge and a chest freezer for my shed a few weeks back too, at $60 each i was very happy. The one you have looks a good size.

• actually, that is just my digital, calibratable thermometer from thermoworks.. I do have a few spare Johnson Control A419's laying around... yeay, another project!

• My type of fridge.

Love those labels.

• Gunna brew tomorrow. I'll do a wheat beer, but haven't decided what the second brew will be.

• Thinking 100litres of Fine Scotch tomorrow. Just got hold of 25kg of peated malt.