StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• Looks bloody good

• edited August 2017

Thinking of north Chinese food and the ubiquitous lamb skewer.

Will be making these in the next few days for sure. I can taste the cumin and the chunks of fat now.

OLD BEIJING LAMB SKEWER

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Buttery sous vide potatoes are amazing. I stick a sprig of thyme or rosemary in too.

The real star veg for me is carrots though. Cooking them this way makes them waaay more carroty than normal carrots could ever be. I seal them in the bag with a drizzle of agave syrup to intensify the sweetness

• Thanks for the tip. We find home grown carrots the only ones with actual carrot taste so will try it next time we have some going.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited August 2017

Having friends over for a braai today (barbeque). Rolled pig on the spit with a stunning draught G&T. Mighty fine G&T, not heavy with fine sweet notes coming through together with the blush.

1.jpg
    452 x 800 - 86K
    2.jpg
    452 x 800 - 147K
    3.jpg
    452 x 800 - 57K
  • edited August 2017

Looks like a fat old time.

• edited September 2017

Tried to do a tribute to Northern Chinese street food classic the cumin lamb stick.

I used chicken thighs and did some king oyster mushrooms for me and some pineapple for her to go with ginger coconut rice.

They turned out very good but very different to the taste of Beijing.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 131K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 94K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 91K

• Tong Wu says :-h

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited September 2017

And a big Hi back to all the Wu's. Haven't nailed it yet, but i will.

Xinjiang Lamb Skewers (新疆烤串, chuar)

• its the fat trick that makes these. i regularly do more Singapore style and could not get it right till i added the fat. Still not the same but much closer .

• Yeah in Beijing and Tianjin there are two styles. The ones with marbled meat from the shoulder or flaps and the ones with leaner meat and the lumps of fat every second or fourth piece.
    I much prefer the fat ones, although they are both great.

I didn't get the spice mix right, maybe it didn't taste right because it was chicken rather than lamb, or maybe i just didn't smother it enough.
    I used ground cumin seeds, cumin seeds, chilli powder, sichuan peppercorns and salt with some onions and such as per the marinade instructions. I then made the rub with cumin seeds, cumin, chilli flakes, salt and more sichuan peppercorns.

• edited September 2017

30 hours at 66C in the sous vide brought a hand of pickled pork to the table last night.

I'm not sure that the sous vide is that much better than a 2 hr simmer on the stove top though. Certainly the flavour was a little better with the spices i added to the bag and the texture was a little different. I like both methods in the end.

porkpickled1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K

• edited August 2017

Don't know why I keep coming back to this place. Makes me hungry for other peoples food............but I keep coming back anyway..

• Never done cured meat sous vide but for me, pork done at 67 for 24 hours (shoulder, ribs, leg) gives a tender but sliceable texture that you just can't achieve any other way.

I can't get enough of it

• edited September 2017

@punkin Does your round eske hold up to the 87 degrees for the spuds ? Should get my Father's Day gift Anova soon and researching. Would think that would be a bit high for the plastic.

• Yes it works fine. I had a smaller round one up to 95C the other day for another project.

The spuds are a fantastic option, out of the ones i tried the best have been washed potatoes cut into small roasting size and then the recipe on the net with the addition of a splash of balsamic.

@Heef71 is here in Town for a couple days, i'll be dropping some beef ribs in this morning for Thursday nights dinner.

• edited September 2017

Sous vide is getting a work out this week.

Beef ribs on now at 68C for a 36 hr cook.

Also picked up a ribeye with a handle, about 2" thick. It will get a gentler bath on Friday night with 2 hours at 55C for a perfect rare steak.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 84K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 112K

• edited September 2017

The rib eye came up a treat (as did the ribs) with some pepper sauce and sous vide buttered potatoes.

beef4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 90K

• Used my new Anova last night. Spuds a la punkin ( duckfat thyme etc ) carrots and duck breast. Cooked great but little flavor in breasts _ modern commercial ducks i am guessing.

The machine has potential but i am going to take a bit of converting to rare pink steaks ( though the picture above is not too fat off )

• Punkins' got it right for my taste from the looks of it. Bleeding just a bit is just right.

I'm gonna have to get one of those things. You guys are gonna force me with all those pictures of delicious looking grub.

I'm off to do a search........

• Just a matter of playing round with temp. 55C is above and just right for me. You may prefer 56 or 57. If you're a well done steak ruiner there's little point using sous vide though.

• edited September 2017

• So looking at the chart to go just a little more medium rare i would probably look at 56 C for 2.5 hours. Porterhouse 1 1/2 " thick. Will give that a bash anyway.

• I prefer my steak rarer when done sous vide as opposed to frying/grilling because even though it's very pink it's still hot right through the middle.

• edited September 2017

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 99K

• mm that's a good feed punkin

• edited September 2017

The fattie came out superb. Stuffing made from torn white bread, oregano, chorizo, onion, sage, pepper, chipoltle, capers, sun dried tomatos and celery seed.

The mince was irish pork sausage mix from our home killed heritage pigs (as were the ribs).

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 136K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K

• edited September 2017

Running the sous vide rig this afternoon. Pork tenderloin in Sharon's Coffee Rub will go in for 3 hours at 64C. Hoping to get it a little above medium for that fully cooked thing, She has a set on pink pork worse than her set on pink beef.
    It's an aussie thing i think.

pork.jpg
    800 x 600 - 103K

• edited September 2017

How to keep a tenderloin juicy 101.

In saying that i would go down in temperature to 63C next time to give it more tenderness, it was good but i think it could be better.

Made into wraps with home made tabbouleh from the parsley in the garden and toasted tortillas it was fantastic.

porktender1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K

• edited September 2017

@Punkin, haven't started with one yet, but have been following this thread closely. Will 1 degree make that much of a difference in a 3 hour cook? Does meat go in at room temp or cold?

JustForFutureReference