StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• She does have some good stuff there. Plenty of recipes to use up all the gochugaru I bought.

• She's a hot little thing too (<5ft. tall).

She once showed me that in a pinch you can sharpen a knife on the bottom of a ceramic coffee mug.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Or a plate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• When I was a kid, Mom used the rim of her stoneware bread-making bowl. I'd forgotten all about that.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited March 2017

Where did I leave my damn glasses.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K

• Was laying hot mix one time and we somehow lost track of the gangers mobile. Same result.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• "Why is the road ringing?"

• That's how we looked for it. Don't think we got it to ring, but we were positive that it was somewhere in the patch.

• Are cell phones considered acceptable asphalt aggregate?

• edited March 2017

Messing around with meat and a sous vide water bath this week. Anyone else ever cook this way? Its changing my life already...

Got 2kg of rump from the butcher, cut a thick steak off and cooked at 54.5C for an hour then seared in a skillet.

The rest stayed in the bath for 24hrs at 54.5C then was finished under a hot grill. It was a moist medium rare but with a pull apart texture. When the weather gets warmer il be finishing off these meats outside on a BBQ

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 120K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 88K
  • edited March 2017

@mark85 - My buddy started cooking in a water bath (Sous-vide) recently. He showed me how easy it was to do. Here's a picture of the rack of lamb from last Saturday's feast. I'm thoroughly convinced it's the way to cook. Yet another kitchen appliance. :-c

Sous-vide Rack of Lamb.jpg
    800 x 450 - 71K
  • I cooked meaty pork ribs during the week in a cheat sous vide. Just a pot on the stove with a tiny flame under it where i maintained around 75C all afternoon with the marinaded ribs in a vac bag.

Finished them in the oven and they were very good for oven ribs.

I have all the parts (pump element etc) and the welding done to convert my big old pot to a 40l sous vide but have never finished the project as i'm a little concerned i won't like the texture of slow cooked meat.
    As it is i can't eat slow cooked chicken from the bbq.

• That lamb looks great! You can't get that perfectly even edge to edge cook any other way! And the best part is it stays perfectly cooked until you're ready to eat it.

I admit texturally sous vide things can be very different to what most people are used to because you can cook safely at temperatures that would worry my mother :)) , chicken breasts for example are perfectly safe to eat when cooked at 60C but the texture feels a bit unappealing (....raw?)

Poached eggs have really blown my mind though... cooking them 1 degree higher or lower completely changes the result

• P.s I knew a prolific food poster like you Punkin would have at least given it a go ;))

• edited March 2017

Satay night last night. Satr of the show was the side dish of canneloni beans with homemade bacon, homegrown shallots and garlic.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 128K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 81K

• My first batch of kimchi in my new ceramic crock turned out great! Bring-tears-to-your-eyes spicy hot, just how I like it.

1st batch of sauerkraut has not reached the desire level of sourness yet, but looks and smells great!

• Got a 12kg box of crocodile tail fillet coming. Split between my butcher mate, my ex chef mate and myself i'm looking forward to the cookoffs on future camping trips. :))

• Or chewoffs - you know the old rock and the cockie saying.

• edited March 2017

Nah, it's the bomb.

LittleBitChewyPunkin

• edited April 2017

Picked up today, 21 packs between the 3 of us of tail fillet.

Update tomorrow i reckon.

croc2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 78K

• Hey @Kapea Are you using the starter ( ie Mad Millie inoculate ) or you salting to encourage the right bacteria in your sauerkraut and kimchi ?

• edited April 2017

Stir fried crocodile tail in spicy black beans, fried rice and wok fried shitake and cloud ear mushrooms.

croc1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K

• @punkin OK, let me pack some things... =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~ =P~

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• At 3-1/2 weeks my sauerkraut is amazing. Sour and crunchy with just the right amount of salt (1tsp/lb of cabbage) Taking it out of the crock today, putting in in 1L mason jars and into refrigeration. I'm going to try using some of the juice from this batch to inoculate the next batch. See if I can get the fermentation time down a bit. Saurkraut backset?

• Super great for gut health Kapea. Excellent probiotic.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• How can anything that tastes so good possibly be good for you? ;)

• edited April 2017

Poor mans sous vide for some ribs last night followed up in the oven.

sousvide1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 70K

• Think I am coming for supper some time

• Trying to melt your thermapen?

• Small flame and i have a spare.