StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• edited September 2017

I usually leave it out of the fridge for an hour or more, but you can put it in frozen if you like (probably not a whole pork shoulder) and just add some time.

It's not the time that does the cooking in things like tenderloin, ribeye steak, fish etc it's the temp and that just has to get to the centre of the protein. And yes one degree C (or 2F) makes a visible difference in medium to rare meats.
    A 54C steak is full of red juices and has a rare or raw as Bourbon Girl puts it. A 55C steak is much pinker than rare, a medium rare and has still some red juices.

The time is important to 1) get the temp completely through the meat and 2) break down fat in tough cuts.

So the idea of the 24-72 hour cooks is the same as low and slow in BBQ. It means the interconnecting tendons, fat layers and collagen all break down above a certain temp depending on the animal, so the longer the time at that temp then the more tender and juicy a piece is.
    Time changes the texture, temp changes the doneness. So it's possible to have tough cuts like beef ribs done so the meat has a tenderness and can be cut like a medium steak.
    It's also possible to have a medium rare ribeye with the chew of pulled pork, and no-one wants that.

This explains it as good as anything i've seen;

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Steak

I had that tenderloin sliced thin and reheated on toast with gravy for breakfast just now, it was sensational.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thank you. Good read.

• edited October 2017

Mmmm pork neck satay with homemade peanut sauce.

satay5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 125K
    satay6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 107K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Bought the Anova. Am hacking a cooler. Now have to decide what to cook first in this thing. Really anxious to do deer roast and see a medium rare, juicy, tender deer hind. I am out right now but the season opens in a few weeks. Bottom round from the first will be slated for the sous vide.

• edited October 2017

Can't go wrong with short ribs, ribeye or buttered potatoes.

I did short ribs first (and the spuds) and felt the purchase was a goodun right off the bat. Salt and pepper and 36 hours at 68C (154F).

• Yes, I was just reading back on that. May go that route first. Thanks.

• edited October 2017

Decisions, decisions...

sausage5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K

• The wife found some venison backstrap hidden in the freezer. It will be introduced to the Anova tonight and finished on the grill.

• Backstrap was great. Sorry no pics. Packing up for hunting trip. Need more wild fodder for sous vide experiments. Thanks @Punkin, your photos sent me down this rabbit hole. =D>

• You are very welcome. You're the 4th person over two forums to purchase, i should start stocking them.

• Also bought the Anova after reading about it over here :))

• You may have to request a commission.

• Can add @Malted to the list.

• edited October 2017

If you say you don't like home made sausage rolls you are a bah humbug cheerless scrooge.

sausroll1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 118K
    sausroll2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 124K
    sausroll3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 94K

• you bloody rippa mate. I made some a couple of weeks ago for my kids in Mendoza. THey loved them so it proved to me they are at least half Aussie.

• edited October 2017

Is that BBQ sauce. Thats not 100% right. Gotta be tomato sauce but i guess these days anything goes. And your topping with black sesame seeds is also a bit far left though i do like it.

• @GD50 said: Is that BBQ sauce. Thats not 100% right. Gotta be tomato sauce but i guess these days anything goes. And your topping with black sesame seeds is also a bit far left though i do like it.

I was thinking HP Sauce would work nicely...

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• They're not traditional kids style. Irish pork sausage mince, chopped onion cooked down with chipoltle and balsamic wrapped in puff and then sprinkled with black and white sesame, poppy and celery seeds.

Still a very quick snack to make and very good feed.

• edited October 2017

@DonMateo Hey Don you had a real opportunity to show your kids some true Aussie style at the Rugby Union game in Mendoza last night. Did you go ? Thankfully Australia won as with them at the moment you never know. You could have taken sausage rolls and pies to give them a real Oz treat at the football. And of course beer for yourself would have been an assumed.

Normally i would have watched it but missed out. From all accounts it was a tough game.

• Hey mate. Actually right now i am in Armenia slaving like a cane cocky. No fun here mate. So no I didnt go. I went to the last one a year ago. The worst thing was Australia lost to the pumas. I was wearing my aussie rugby jersey too.

• I thought you were back home. Off after the $$$$ to spend once you get back home. That's the way it works.

• YEs mate. You have worked in the bush. I still need a job. The good news is I am basically on half time and full pay so I can work on my distillery. Finally got two stills working last time and did my first couple of runs. Next time I will get a chance to punch out some product and get things moving. After being a lurker here for the last 2 years.
    I get back to Mendoza on the 17th and then two weeks of fermenting and distilling.

• edited October 2017

Coconut, Chilli and Lime Panko crumbed Prawns with chilli and lime mayo.

prawn2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
    prawn3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K

• edited October 2017

Sous Vide special tonight. Baby carrots with butter, salt and pepper, chilli flakes and honey and kipfler potatoes with butter, salt and pepper, duck fat and a splash of balsamic both going in at 85C for an hour or so.

In the last 10 mins i'll drop the precooked sliced turkey royale in to heat up in a bag and the aparagus that's going wild in the garden at the moment can go straight into the water for 10 mins before a sizzle with the spuds in a hot pan.

• edited October 2017

Prawns look great. Really wish there was a way to deep fry without all the mess. Someone needs to invent a FryVide - put it all in a bag, deep fry it, delicious without the mess. It’s the one technique I avoid at home. Even pan frying in a deeper pan, still get splatter everywhere. Probably better for your ticker that way.

• Hunting trip was a success killed 6 wild hogs. Have a lot of meat to deal with tomorrow and then have to decide what gets the sous vide treatment.

• If you are a low and slow guy it would be good to see what you think of sous vide pulled pork versus bbq. Apparently you can smoke it for an hour or two either after or before sous vide if you want it smoked still but don't have to spend all day or night tending the fire.

I know the tenderloin i did worked better than any other way i've cooked tenderloin.

• edited October 2017

turkey2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K

• edited October 2017

Convinced from my second trial that sous vide is a fantastic way to cook prawns.

54C for 30 mins with butter, garlic and herbs and in the fridge, then the bag juice added to the pan with more garlic, a shallot, cream etc while i chopped the prawns and tossed them through with the pasta to warm before serving.
    Just pasta for one so didn't bother getting the pasta machine out, hand rolled and cut.

Furkin fantastic.

pasta1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 93K
    pasta2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 84K