StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• @punkin said: Just pasta for one so didn't bother getting the pasta machine out, hand rolled and cut.

Those are known as "pasta rags".

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited October 2017

Certainly had some texture to them, were probably too thick as they plumped up while resting and then again while cooking.
    I will definitely be doing it that way again though as it was delicious and chewy and not much more work as i often hand cut, just the rolling is a new bit.

Leftovers for breakfast soon.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited October 2017

Pork satay on charcoal. I have nailed the ginger coconut rice finally.

In the rice cooker and one scoop washed Jasmine Rice. Add 1/2 scoop coconut cream and one scoop water and 3 slices of fresh ginger. Cook until it stops and remove immediately.

satay7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Man, good coconut rice is like heaven to me. I second the coconut cream. I also like adding in palm full of toasted coconut. It adds a nice textural component and really amps the coconut up.

• I nearly did that as i bought some moist coconut flakes for the prawns the other day and had a bit left over, just stopped at the last minute thinking it may burn. I'll try that next time thanks.

• Not to mention the amazing health benefit of coconut.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Makes your hair curly?

jeremy_clarkson_young.jpg
    300 x 200 - 7K
  • edited October 2017

I love coconut as well . Put a pandan leaf in with your rice. I did prawns a-la-punkin the other night. Might not use the coconut in the planko next time as it masked the prawns a little. It was one of those nights when we had nibbles instead of a proper sit down. Fresh oysters prawns and mussels ( all local) nice cheese and a french baguette . The prawns were still bloody good though. Thanks fore the inspiration punkin.

Punkin Add quick red wine vinegar pickled radishes to those sticks and rice - heaven

• @Smaug said: Not to mention the amazing health benefit of coconut.

Unless they fall on you. Saw one dent a rental car today. Big honkin' dent in the hood (bonnet, for those of you who talk funny).

• edited October 2017

My local meat wholesaler had Porterhouse on special. 2 x 450gm steaks for $13 and change makes the punkin a happy chappy.

They'll go in at 55C for two hours just with S&P.

steak5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 79K
    steak6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 101K

• The old lady picked up some bottom round troasts to experiment with before I put my wild hog in the sous vide. Two of them 3" thick. Any recommendations for time and temp for a medium well. She likes her meat over cooked. I feel pretty good that 65 may be the right temp. Not sure about the time on something 3" thick.

• edited October 2017

I don't know that sous vide is the right method for 'overcooked'. I think you are much better off trying to educate her pallete rather than ruin the food. Bourbon Girl was the same when i met her. The sight of red meat juices (blood to her) still freaks her out, but she's happy with rareish meat.

But really i don't know anything about it except at 54C and 55C. 54 is my preference but she sticks hers in the microwave and i can't stomach that, so 55C is a little rare for her and just fine for me.

The link i gave you before goes pretty much into everything about steak.

The Food Lab's Complete Guide to Sous Vide Steak

Maybe you could do them at 54-55C, sear yours really quickly and sear hers for longer till it's ruined?

• edited October 2017

I think i would drop back down to 54C for the porterhouse, it was a little more done than i like. Still a spectacular steak though.

steak7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K

• @Punkin, the part about searing is what I plan to do. Just foggy on the time for meat 3" thick. I'm thinking 12 hours at 54. We'll see. Will prob drop in tomorrow morning before heading to work.

• 2-4 hours at most for steak i reckon mate, according to the info in the link i posted anyway. The Anova also has an app that gives you all the recipes and directions. The steaks in the pic above were about 2" thick and they went for 2 hours.

• edited October 2017

Mixed origin tonight as sweet pea away for few days. Sous vide pork chop and sv asparagus with boiled and refried taro ( I did grow up in Fiji) Apple sauce and homemade sauerkraut with carrot and turmeric. Plenty beer and wine now quick snooze. Ain’t life grand as a retiree

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 101K
  • @Pa_bon said: Punkin, the part about searing is what I plan to do. Just foggy on the time for meat 3" thick. I'm thinking 12 hours at 54. We'll see. Will prob drop in tomorrow morning before heading to work.

A thick steak will need at least 2 hours to come up to temp. Anything up to 6 hours you don’t see a lot of change in flavour or texture so leaving it in till you are ready for dinner is fine. Tougher cuts like skirt are AMAZING when done for 12 hours then served with chimchurri.

Pricey steak cuts cooked for 12+ hours start to lose a bit more moisture, the texture softens and it will take on a “roast beef” flavour. This is not a bad thing if that’s what you are aiming for, large lean cuts of beef cooked at 55/56 for 24 then seared will make the best roast beef you ever had!!!

Sous vide confit garlic is my new thing. Simply peel a ton of garlic and toss it in a mason jar with a bottle of neutral tasting oil and cook at 83 for 3 hours. I use some of the oil to make garlic mayonnaise and I keep the rest covering the garlic in the fridge, I use the cloves to rub on meat, put it in the vac bags with pork, spread it on toast... it’s just delicious

• Sous vide is also the king of custard and ice cream.

No mess, everything just goes straight in the zip lock bag which you throw away when done. I spiked a vanilla ice cream with a peaty Islay style scotch I made and it’s a mind blower

• edited October 2017

I made some pork buns yesterday and went savoury instead of sweet. Used chlli black beans, chinese bbq sauce, tamarind, hoi sin, chinese caramel and black vinegar in the sauce.

Stuffed the pic up trying to look arty with bbq sauce but you get the idea.

buns1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 52K

• Best treat in China,,,,,cept for those young ladies in Wenzhou club/disco.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Yeah these were a made up one rather than the Char Sui ones i usually make that we had. Forgot to say i put sechuan peppercorns in too. They were spicy and savoury in the sechuan style. Just had some for breakfast.

• Many convenience stores here on Gilligan's Island keep steam cabinets full of manapua (local kine bao). Pork dumplings, and spam musubi as well.

Not quite Chinese street-food, but ono grab-n-go grinds none the less.

• edited October 2017

Found some wet scallops cheap in a 2kg bag.

I seared some in chilli butter and sesame oil and seared some asparagus from the garden with bacon, capers and sundried tomatos.

They came up a treat.

scallops2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K

• edited October 2017

image.jpg
    572 x 800 - 99K

• edited November 2017

She said when i was ordering Chinese the other day she had a hankering for prawn cutlets.

Found these at the supermarket today. Weighing in at nearly $1.80 each they are a treat, and double crumbed with a 50/50 panko and fresh crumb they look more like Lamb cutlets with a tail.

HungryAlreadyPunkin

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 88K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K

• edited November 2017

Espuma Meanie Gin-Tonic :\">

Espuma gin.jpg
    600 x 800 - 59K
  • edited November 2017

The end result.

prawn7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K

• Nice lookin' swimps!

• edited December 2017

Put the Anova to the test for which I bought it. Put a 5-6 lb deer hind roast in. This roast came from a 205lb buck my son shot. Cooked it at 128.5 for 48 hrs. Came out pink, tender as could be, and juicy. Unbelievable! It was the best hind roast I have ever put in my mouth.

Thanks @punkin. Because of your posts I bought this thing. It did an unreal job on this deer.

Took the juice from the bag before searing and reduced it down with onion tops. The whole thing was better than I thought it could be.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 57K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 60K