StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

No Topic Thread

Comments

• edited May 2019

I'm a big fan of short story science fiction and "alternative" history, e.g. Inglorious Basterds. Love, Death and Robots is a wide open short story format. I've been reading science fiction since I started with the Tom Swift jr. series in third grade in 1963.

Kinda reminds me of the original Aeon Flux series on MTV, and the Story of O-ren Ishi'i in Kill Bill.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• You got good taste. For a lot of decades I was rilly rilly big on good science fiction, but I haven't read much for years. In some sort of old-guy regression, when I yearn for SF, I often go back to Sturgeon, Clarke, or Bradbury. I had the wonderful luck to live on the same island as Robert Forward, but the awful luck not to know it until after he died.

I'm always just a bit late.

I've still got a copy of Tom Swift and his Giant Magnet. "I'll never pet an alligator again", Tom said off-handedly.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• I started reading The Magazine of Fantasy and Science Fiction (aka F&SF) when 2001 A Space Odyssey came out in 1968. My junior HS teacher told me if I liked the movie I should read the short story it came from. I read it while following Apollo 8's journey that December. It was published in F&SF. In 1971 I got a subscription to F&SF as a Christmas present. I have been a subscriber ever since. Some of the best fiction (and science fact too) ever written has been published in that magazine.

• edited May 2019

• Big William Gibson fan.

• @grim said: Big William Gibson fan.

Kill the sugar and get to the gym at least 3 days a week and you should be back in shape in no time.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Smaug said: Kill the sugar and get to the gym...

Sugar and carbs (sugar polymers)

• edited May 2019

@Kapea said: Sugar and carbs (sugar polymers)

Meat and vegetables make your dreams come true.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• @Kapea said: Arthur C. Clarke - The Sentinel (PDF)

The title rang like an old bell but my lame-ass memory couldn't put the story behind it. I had to look it up. You're right, of course, but The Star gets me so deep that I can't re-tell the story without clouding up.

And then there's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." To me that speaks way more to the viewer than the technology. Oh yeah, and Forward wrote a book with that title.

@grim -Damn straight on Gibson.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Clarke's Childhood's End is my all time favorite.
    The movie Independence Day ripped off the spaceships arriving scene from that book.

• And then there's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Transformers, The Dark Night. 1h.14m.20s

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yes, blatant, shameless, plagiarism is rampant in the current pap being sold as science fiction in the cinema.

• edited May 2019

@Kapea said: Yes, blatant, shameless, plagiarism is rampant in the current pap being sold as science fiction in the cinema.

God you are opinionated. It was an accredited quote.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited May 2019

Accredited?
    By the Australian Board of Plagerized Quotes? :))

Clarke's Three Laws

• edited June 2019

Furry convention @ Wikipedia

Abandon all positive belief in the world.

• furry's are weird

• I had no idea that was even something in the world.

Was bad enough when i found out about jugaloos.

No, hang on.....jugaloos are worse.

• 1986, I was traveling to Virginia Beach on business and stayed at a hotel hosting a FURY convention.

Everyone not there as a Fury was stunned. It was one giant freak orgy. Odd critters fondling and humping everything/everywhere.

Kind of like the anonymity of wearing a mask for Mardis Gra or Fashing.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• It's been a thing since then? Wow.

• @punkin said: It's been a thing since then? Wow.

1986, the year of the Chernobyl disaster, could explain some things... b-(

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited June 2019

snake.jpg
    600 x 800 - 49K

• edited June 2019

Says the snake, "Electronic mousetrap? Hah! I got your mobile app right here pal!"

@Moonshine said:

• edited June 2019

Second mouse didn't slow him down. Greedy guts he is.

Saw this on a drive yesterday, wish it was at my place.

snake13.jpg
    600 x 800 - 66K
    lizard1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 155K
    lizard2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 168K

• edited July 2019

It's always something out here...

143337_5day_cone_no_line_and_wind.png
    800 x 653 - 43K

• why is it when you really really need to find the lid to your GB4 you can't find it?

• 4" end cap will fit, or a 4x2 reducer and a 2" end cap, 2" valve....or any other of a hundred combo's. You just won't have the handle.

• MacGyver says, "A little aluminum foil and a 4" hose clamp, and Bob's your uncle."

• edited July 2019

@punkin's on the money, I used a 4-2 reducer & a 2" endcap before seeing his reply. top idea re the valve - get a handle that way :)

YaGottaLoveModular

• make sure yer not sitting on it =))

• haha i reckon I'd notice that... lol