StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

My StillDragon Activated Carbon Filter

Comments

• @Lloyd said: Damo, to learn more about activated carbon than you need to know, have a look at the attached e-book Activated carbon for purification of alcohol by Gert Strand.

+1 This is a great reference regarding Activated Carbon.

• It's a great document but it'll take a few read-throughs!

Damo.

• edited July 2013

Here's a link to Gert Strand commercial side, where there is also activated carbon for commercial use, and a lot of other parts and data ... and it,s in English

Gert Strand AB - Distillery Ingredients
    Gert Strand AB - Carbon GC / Product Information

Cheers

• edited July 2013

@fnulnu said: Finnou Linnou is how you can pronounce it. I was hoping to get a still design named after me but I will take what I can get. Kind of rolls right off the tongue don't you think. I'd definitely be in for one of those fittings. I really liked the idea of the 90 with the thermowell and the port, but I have to admit I would probably grab the 180 if I had to pick between the two of them.

Something like this?...

SAM_1061.JPG
    800 x 600 - 58K
  • Nice, You almost don't even need the thermowell now that you have the end cap thermowells in the production pipeline. You could get a 3/4 end cap thermowell to clamp on top. But, I'm guessing someone here will use that 3/4 fitting for something else when it's on top of the stack.

• Yes for CIP.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• or drain from the bottom if you doing the Philter thingy...

• @fnulnu said: Nice, You almost don't even need the thermowell now that you have the end cap thermowells in the production pipeline. You could get a 3/4 end cap thermowell to clamp on top. But, I'm guessing someone here will use that 3/4 fitting for something else when it's on top of the stack.

You wanted it, I made it, do you still want it?

• Yes, Yes!!! Of course I do. I gotta feeling the ones you made will not last long.

• @fnulnu, the special 180 bend has arrived in the US. Contact @Smaug to order it.

• I'm trying to understand this...

I bought a bottle of Smirnoff Premium vodka. Its 40% ABV and is produced in South Korea.

The bottle clearly states, "Triple Distilled, Ten Times Filtered".
    The triple distilled I get. Its probably stripped using a continous column and either spirit run twice by continous or batch methods. Its the Ten Times Filtered that I don't quite get. I suspect that carbon filtering everything 10 times must be a big bottleneck in the operation.
    I also suspect this is some sort of word play. For example, one meter of pipe equals one "filtration"?, 2 meters = 2 filtrations?

I've had better vodka.

• @LLoyd, that remembers me on a bottle of Vodka that stated Ice-filtered.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited June 2014

Interesting thread. Just wondering if anyone is re-activating their carbon with success and what method works best for you? Oven tech or steam. I was thinking of trying a pressure cooker. I never have re-activated carbon before

Anyone else ever notice when the distillate first hits the carbon the reaction makes the tube/filter so hot that you cannot touch the tube? Friction maybe? I haven't looked into it

• 500 degrees is the temp I heard to re-activate it...

this says as hot as the oven will go: Re Activate your worn out used Activated carbon filter

this says only 300: How to Reuse Activated Charcoal

I like 'oven as hot as it will go'...

Edit: this is what I have: Norit ROX 0.8 it says

NORIT ROX 0.8 is a steam activated carbon that can be thermally reactivated.

• @Lloyd - product request: 3" to 3/4" TC short reducer with channels cut in the endcap so that if used with a SD 3" screen and a 3" tube, the liquid could flow through the screen and into the fitting... from the top, the reducer would look like it had a starburst cut into it, a cutaway view from the side would see angled channels.

Filter end cap.png
    338 x 590 - 20K
  • This is a great thread, awesome read and has answered all my questions. It's just a shame it's taken me this long to find it. Gunna give it a go.

• I had to make 3" to 1.5" reducers like above as that is the only way I could get the end caps in my lathe, the hole for 3/4"TC was too small, and jaws of lathe could not hold 3" from outside...

Maybe could have current GB4 bottom cap made this way and be a dual purpose item? I can go to a 4" carbon filter...

Oh, I have it mounted on a march 815 stainless bodied pump and very stable now, the plastic bodied pump I was always scared of breaking and vodka going everywhere... (pics in the big vodka thread)

now for a affordable TC-equipped .22u or .47u polishing filter....

• Love the thread guys. Can someone explain the cons in regards to using PVC pipe instead of stainless for a filter system. Cheers.

• Chemicals will leach out of the pvc. Some pretty nasty ones too.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Looks like I'm saving some more $ for some SD parts.

• on a related note, I recently purchased and installed this for my supply water.. I am extremely happy for the price.. I will get a 2nd and put it in series for faster flow rate while still getting all the chlorine out... I can run it now at 2gpm+ and still have water that tastes awesome....

Whole House Water Filter 2 CU FT GAC Carbon (IN & OUT) No Electricity Required @ eBay

image.jpg
    331 x 500 - 13K
  • Nice, I've been shopping for one.

• Good stuff. It just sounds better to me to have filters rather than RO. It's just such a wasteful system. I set up a dual filter system in my brew shed, but at 3l/min i never used it except to drink from so i disconnected it.
    We do have a similar undersink one in the house with dirt filter and then 1 micron carbon that gets used for all drinking water including the jug for coffee. A great addition and makes a big difference to taste.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2015

I use one of these that I can connect to the hose and use when I want.

• I use the ones that look like that but are for RVs. I use them for a couple of months then put them inline before the new one just in case they still have some filtering ability left. Walmart, about $18.

• @philter
    Punkin suggested I get in touch with you. After reading thru this thread i'm convinced I need to be filtering my neutral. Not that there is anything wrong with it I just think it could be better. I'm currently planning a swan neck set up and it's starting to get real expensive, so for this sort of commitment i want to make sure I get everything right. I'm looking at using a 6" 155mm section on top with a 6" to 2" reducer to save height and for a larger reservoir and have found 6" parts are pricey!!! But hey...I don't want to standing around all day. Plan is to set and forget and come back to it when ts done. You've been philtering now of a while now, got a few questions for you. How many runs or litres are you getting before changing carbon? This setup with only get used maybe once a month with around 10L at 40%. Are you still getting your carbon from the hbs?? What sort of needle valve are you using to fit the SD parts?? I have a 1/2" s/s needle valve but cant find any SD parts to fit. Was thinking cutting a bsp thread onto a 3/4" x12.8mm ferrule, could work, but keen to see what you've set up. Thanks mate for your previous posts and to everyone else who has contributed, its great info.

• edited June 2015

• @punkin said: I have 2" x 1/2" rims caps.

Hey Punkin, how's things mate? Smaug has got these - 3/4" TriClamp to 3/8 Male Thread Adapter. Can you get em too?? It's just what im looking for.

• I replied to your email mate.

• edited June 2015

Righto....I've ordered all my parts for a SD swan neck active carbon filter. Thanks @punkin for your help getting all the bits together!! They are on their way and can't wait to start putting it together. It may be a few weeks before i can post some pics due to work trips and when the gear arrives, but I'll keep you all updated.

Cheers H.