StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

My StillDragon Activated Carbon Filter

Comments

• edited June 2013

@FullySilenced said: As.... I am not an ozzie the humor must be lost in context...

A bit of insight into the legend in these three videos:

Black Bobs Part 1 2 3

• I see that one more LOO as it will syphon itself out somewhat...

• @FullySilenced said: As.... I am not an ozzie the humor must be lost in context...

+1 what the heck are you crazy Aussies talking about now?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited June 2013

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• That's the prettiest Tasmanian i've ever seen! lol (sorry Philter)

• @Law_Of_Ohms said: That's the prettiest Tasmanian i've ever seen! lol (sorry Philter)

Not sure about the prettiest, but Uncle Reg is our most photogenic ;)

• Some bugger edited my post Philter, i said i was the one who wasn't going to mention it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Ha ha , you've got to watch those cyber editors. When you check back in the next day, all of the posts/links have been cleaned up :D

• Hi guys, Back from the Sunny Gold Coast and the day after I had my Carbon Philter delivered. Amazing quality as expected. I will be doing a fresh run in the next few days and will be sure to post some pics of it working. Many thanks to Philter for thinking about it and the SD team for making it possible. Another bonus with it, I have a copper 5 plate bubbler, and with the new parts, I can have the best of both worlds. I have my bubbler for the neutrals and can now convert with the new Carbon Philter to a Pot still as well. Looks like I have everything now except for the experience. I will be working on that one. One happy camper :)

• @TassieStiller said: I will be doing a fresh run in the next few days and will be sure to post some pics of it working.

Looking forward to seeing it in action.

• @TassieStiller said: Another bonus with it, I have a copper 5 plate bubbler, and with the new parts, I can have the best of both worlds. I have my bubbler for the neutrals and can now convert with the new Carbon Philter to a Pot still as well. Looks like I have everything now except for the experience. I will be working on that one.

Nice. I know where to borrow some parts if required =))

• Definately a case of 'this thread is worthless without pics'.

• @Lloyd said:

In this image the filter has a 180 degree bend at the bottom. What if this bend had a 3/4" ferrule and tap there right in the middle for draining? At some stage the unit will need the carbon changed or reactivated and there will always be some spirit resting there to remove.

Damo.

• What is it a bathroom vending machine.... :)) :)) =)) :))

• Damo, that's a good idea. A 2" 180 with a 3/4" pull.
    Before I stock another part though, is there more interest in this from other members?
    Adding the thermowell to a bunch of different fittings has put some strain on my available shelf space.

• With the port you could drain the two stacks... other wise.... booze in the pipes fo eber

• Or use two 90s with a T in the middle with an endcap and valve on the T.

• port would be more cost effective

• @FullySilenced said: port would be more cost effective

Agreed. And the idea from Monty to use an end cap and clamp instead of a value is also good.

• A 180 degree with a thermowell and a 3/4 inch ferrule is a splendid idea. Double duty fitting for me for the filter and for the top of the stack. You should call it the bottom topper.

• @fnulnu said: A 180 degree with a thermowell and a 3/4 inch ferrule is a splendid idea. Double duty fitting for me for the filter and for the top of the stack. You should call it the bottom topper.

I like it fnulnu. I'll make 6 of them and see if they sell. Although internally it would be a B2-180-TW-P. Bend, 2", 180, ThermoWell, ported. I'd name it after you if only I could pronounce fnulnu.

• Finnou Linnou is how you can pronounce it. I was hoping to get a still design named after me but I will take what I can get. Kind of rolls right off the tongue don't you think. I'd definitely be in for one of those fittings. I really liked the idea of the 90 with the thermowell and the port, but I have to admit I would probably grab the 180 if I had to pick between the two of them.

• Bob might be easier to remember :))
    What country are you in, Finnou?

• I'm in the states. Web search my user name and you will know exactly who I am. B-) So back to the picture, do you think the carbon could be flushed out the bottom with a port for cleanup, or would you have to take it apart.

• I think in the quantities that a hobby distiller will put through the filter the carbon should last quite awhile. When the carbon needs to be cleaned it probably would be best to dismantle the whole thing and give it a good cleaning.
    The carbon settles and packs together making it a chore, I'd think, to remove from a bottom port.

• I see the bottom port as just a way to drain the booze out of the tubes...not changing the carbon...

• @Lloyd said: I think in the quantities that a hobby distiller will put through the filter the carbon should last quite awhile. When the carbon needs to be cleaned it probably would be best to dismantle the whole thing and give it a good cleaning.
    The carbon settles and packs together making it a chore, I'd think, to remove from a bottom port.

This is what I'd imagine. I'd like to make it big enough to hold a reasonable amount so that after it has some alcohol in it to fill the pipes I can stick a few litres in and place a collection jug underneath and leave it to do it's thing. Once you have taken what you can, the remaining alcohol will just sit there until the next run you stick through. There will always be a certain amount in there so when you've put through a dozen lots or however much before the carbon needs attention, you drain out the remainder which will be there and after sorting the carbon, that can go back in. As long as you can seal it to stop the evaporation whilst not in use. I guess everything under the level of the top 180 degree bend will remain full so a section of 4 inch pipe at the top would give the right sort of capacity?

Exactly what sort of carbon would suit do you think?

Damo.

• edited July 2013

@Damo, to learn more about activated carbon than you need to know, have a look at the attached e-book Activated carbon for purification of alcohol by Gert Strand.

pdf
    pdf
    Gerd.Strand.-.Activated.Carbon.for.Purification.of.Alcohol.pdf