StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

My StillDragon Activated Carbon Filter

Comments

• edited May 2013

Hi If a by 12,5kg Cemiviron then it is a kg price in about 10 dollar per kg, i think... (1)(2)(3)(4)(5) = 1000kr = 151 US dollar for 25kg...

Cheers

:ar!

• @harley said: Hi If a by 12,5kg Cemiviron then it is a kg price in about 10 dollar per kg, i think... 151 US dollar for 25kg...

That's much cheaper than what I get it for :((

• @Moonshine said: Our forum software has a lot of refinements, I'll just mention hints whenever I see something that can be optimized. ;)

^:)^

• I know that activated charcoal can be expensive in many countries to buy and I will be completely honest safety has almost twice as good purification effect if you reverse the carbon coils with hot water and steam ... that opens up more pores than it is from the beginning of it when it's new, so Fester has a point with his Gin basket system- full with activt carbon in it, for which one should be able to run steam through the carbon so it aktivate it again and then it will be about 100% better than new unused coal ...

Cheers :ar!

• I've been thinking about the carbon filter and maybe this has some use here?

A choke washer that was intended for the Gin Basket and the etched filter disk combined together to create a flow restriction and a way to keep the cotton/filter paper/carbon in place.

This may also be useful as a centerer at the top of the carbon column to avoid the "wall effect".

Each of the inserts are only 0.5mm thick and it's possible to use up to 1.5mm total (the thickness of a SD copper bubble plate) in a modified silicone gasket. Less than that does not matter but more than 1.5mm and you fight the clamp and run the risk that the gasket will not seal.

psb_meitu_1(7).jpg
    800 x 600 - 117K
    psbu_1(1).jpg
    800 x 600 - 96K
  • @Lloyd Now your just showing off Lloyd this is a great discussion what else have you got for us !

• @Lloyd said: A choke washer that was intended for the Gin Basket and the etched filter disk combined together to create a flow restriction and a way to keep the cotton/filter paper/carbon in place.

Each of the inserts are only 0.5mm thick and it's possible to use up to 1.5mm total (the thickness of a SD copper bubble plate) in a modified silicone gasket. Less than that does not matter but more than 1.5mm and you fight the clamp and run the risk that the gasket will not seal.

I think your combined restrictor, etched filter disk and gasket would work well between the carbon filled TC pipe, and either a reducer or short TC pipe, filled with cotton wool/filter paper.

I reckon a sight glass mounted below the carbon section would be awesome.

@cooperville said: Now your just showing off Lloyd this is a great discussion what else have you got for us !

I'm curious as well. What other goodies do you have up your sleeve :D

• And to think i may have instigated some of this stuff by asking for screened gaskets a while back...

• edited June 2013

Its is all coming FS. Just takes time to clear away the bench top from the last round of development,,,,,and send thousands of pounds of stuff to two continents. Have to remember,,,there is only just Lloyd and Tan.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• We keep a supply room here in China to service the folks in countries that don't have a StillDragon distributor. It is about 80% restocked now after the last round of raiding by Smaug and Punkin.

Most of the new thermowell fittings are in stock here now. Hundreds of them have been crated and are waiting to be loaded onto a ship bound for USA.

Both Smaug(USA) and Punkin(AUS) will need an express order soon so if you need any of the new fittings just contact them so they can be added to their express shipment.

The first production of thermowell fittings include:

4x4x3 Bubble Tee

2" 90

2" 45

2" 180

4x2 Torpedo reducer (sent all to USA, forgot to save any for here :\"> )

4x3x3 Torpedo reducer

4x2 reducer

4x4x2 short Tee

3x3x2 short Tee

2x2x2 short Tee

Almost any fitting can have the thermowell added to it but it can take months from idea to ready-to-order so if you guys will let me know which other fittings you want them added to I get them into the next production.

• What size hole is in your 2" flow restrictor @Lloyd?

Also will your etched filter gasket kit be ready before, or after you take your well deserved holiday? :D

• edited June 2013

The 2" choke washer sports an 18mm center hole.

The filter discs will all have the same size and shape holes, 0.8mm square hole with 0.8mm between them for an open area of 50%.

The 2", 3" and 4" are all on order now so we should have them in a month or less. The 2" and 3" custom gaskets are also on order, the 4" custom gasket we already have.

Now for the good news. The 2" filter disc, 0.5mm thick, with gasket will be $US3.

The 3" filter disc, 0.8mm thick, with gasket will be $US4.

The 4" filter disc, 0.8mm thick, with gasket will be $US5.

These should ship out to the distributors before our vacation. I have a feeling these will be popular and I'm curious to see which size will be the best seller. I'm thinking the 2" will be but I'm wrong more often than not when predicting sales. 500 pieces of each size are being produced and we can adjust the inventory level after we have a few months of sales history.

• Thanks for the update @Lloyd. Those are wicked prices and no doubt, will sell faster than take-away after a 40 hour famine :))

Hmmm, must be getting close for another order............

• Do you have plans for a larger tri-clamp funnel for the top? I could use a larger one to attach to my boiler to aid in filling also.

• edited June 2013

@sandsquirt said: Do you have plans for a larger tri-clamp funnel for the top? I could use a larger one to attach to my boiler to aid in filling also.

I believe SD does, as @Law_Of_Ohms has a 8">6" and a 6">4" attached to "Tiny" in this thread

If required with my configuration above, I can attach a length of 4" Tri Clamp pipe to the top of the carbon filter, to store more product to be filtered.

Also, some members use a 4" ferrule on their keg as the still attachment, and a separate 3" or 2" ferrule as a fill port.

• You could easily bend the sd parts to make a fill port funnel. Imagination is the only limitation, like big boys lego.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks guys! The "big boy lego" is exactly right. I was hoping to see a 12" funnel on a 2" tri-clamp in the future. Oh well. I can work on building my own.

• There are a few large copper funnels left in the US. They are made so a 2" brass ferrule can be soldered to them.

• Another way is to use a 4" x 4" x 3" tee. Connect a 90° 3" bend to the tee and attach your funnel to this. When not in use, clamp on an end cap.

This is what I used previously before turning the tee into another bubble plate kit. "With StillDragon, the possibilities are endless" ;)

• Replaced the ball valve with a needle valve and re-ran the product back through the filter. I set the needle valve one drip every 2-3 seconds, and left it over night. By morning I had collected approx. 1.2 Litres, and the spirit had improved enormously.

I could speed up the filtering to some degree, but I'm happy with it as-is.

• edited June 2013

The 2" filter disks are completed now. The prototypes of the 3 and 4" sizes arrived, look good and are now in production.

SAM_0441.JPG
    800 x 600 - 93K
  • @Lloyd said: The 2" filter disks are completed now. The prototypes of the 3 and 4" sizes arrived, look good and are now in production.

They are exceptionally good Lloyd! Please put me down for 2 of each size.

Will these disks also be available as a solid plate (unetched) as well? Mt mind is just ticking over with other uses ^:)^

• Hadn't thought of blanks, probably could have had a few of them made cheaply if combined with the order but it's too late now. Maybe next order.
    I have a few 2" blanks in copper if that helps.

• I have some 4" and 2" blanks in teflon i think.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2013

Velocity through various pipe dimensions when purifies spirits with the Active carbon from the bottom and up.

Bed volume per hour (HSV) is usually around 0.25 in the purification of alcohol while water is usually purified at 2-3 HSV. On a tube holding 1.7 liters, the maximum purification at 4 ounces per hour if the tube is about 40 mm wide and carbon grains 0.4-1.4 mm. Filters to speed so dont have time to properly clean coal. There are only 3 ways to speed this up, wider pipe or long tube or less carbon grains. In this case, we can not have a pipe narrower than 38 mm, we get the "wall effect" in charcoal and impurities escape filtration along the wall. If we increase the width of the pipe, the more out of alcohol per hour without flow speed. The liquor industry is these filters 1 meter or more in width and HSV are set by pumping liquor from the bottom up into the charcoal with 0.25 HSV.

40 mm pipe =   5.026,55 mm3 volume = max.  0,4 L/h
     50 mm pipe =   7.853,98 mm3 volume = max.  0,6 L/h
     60 mm pipe =  11.309,73 mm3 volume = max.  0,9 L/h
     70 mm pipe =  15.393,80 mm3 volume = max.  1,2 L/h
     80 mm pipe =  20.106,19 mm3 volume = max.  1,6 L/h
     90 mm pipe =  25.446,90 mm3 volume = max.  2,0 L/h
    100 mm pipe =  31.415,93 mm3 volume = max.  2,5 L/h
    150 mm pipe =  70.685,83 mm3 volume = max.  5,6 L/h
    200 mm pipe = 125.663,71 mm3 volume = max. 10,0 L/h

Best way is to clean sprit in pipe with active carbon is from the bottom and up, because then you eliminate the risk of alcohol will sneak along the pipe wall or between all the pores in the carbon ... and a valve is recommended at the end of the tube so it may constrict the flow in the above table.

How to increase the power of Activated Carbon with 150%

Activated Carbon for Purification of Alcohol

The size is important ;-)

Cheers,

:ar!

• edited June 2013

@Lloyd said: Hadn't thought of blanks, probably could have had a few of them made cheaply if combined with the order but it's too late now. Maybe next order.
    I have a few 2" blanks in copper if that helps.

@punkin said: I have some 4" and 2" blanks in teflon i think.

Thanks for the kind offer guys, but will see how I go when your filter disks arrive.

@harley said: Velocity through various pipe dimensions when purifies spirits with the Active carbon from the bottom and up.

50 mm pipe = 7.853,98 mm3 volume = max. 0,6 L/h

Harley, thanks for the info, but I did make a small modification using a needle valve, and slowing the rate down to a drip every 2-3 seconds. This has worked much better than my previous flow rate.

I'd also like to try filtering from the base to the top, but I'd have to alter my stand to accomodate the new setup, and buy more pipe. I may give this a go one day though.

• Hey, I will avail myself of 3pc 100mm pipes to begin with and obviously so purified it from the bottom up to avoid judgment problems that one can get if one cleans up and down ... I will clean approximately 300liter at a time so that is why I chose to start with 3 meter coal bed and everything will be handled by the centrifugal force of it is free ... You already have almost everything you need to turn on your flow direction ... just add a container on the opposite side of your 2 "pipe and a silicone hose to the bottom of the tube so you are almost finished with it ...

Check out my links on how to increase the impact of the Active carbon

• @harley, I think we need to see WAY more pictures from you :)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Hi Since you have such an extremely short time I can change my own posts for so I am very restrained with my posts here for my english, as you all notice the poor, and I am 100% against that one person can not change their own posts .... and there are some others who will mind if I post too many photos .... as evidenced by some comments ... so any single photo that can not be perceived as offensive because of its design and the comment will be just as long as the time constraint is left for me ...

• @harley said: I will clean approximately 300liter at a time..

300 Litres (80 US Gal) using 3 Metres (9') of 100mm (4") pipe? Not bad - thats a long time between activated carbon changes.

@harley said: You already have almost everything you need to turn on your flow direction ... just add a container on the opposite side of your 2 "pipe and a silicone hose to the bottom of the tube so you are almost finished with it ...

Good tip, thanks Harley. That's an easy one to construct.

Check out my links on how to increase the impact of the Active carbon

150% increased efficiency from activated carbon - That's the procedure I followed from Gert's book and am 150% happy with it :)