StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

My StillDragon Activated Carbon Filter

Comments

• edited July 2015

Parts have arrived!! I couldn't wait to put it together, as soon as I got home I unpacked the box and started assembling the parts for a trial fit to get my measurements and bracket positioning. The bottom 180 bend is at the welders getting a 3/4" ferrule welded onto the bottom for a drain, so in the mean time I've used 2 90's. I'll get it back next week (going on a work trip tomorrow for the rest of the week). The activated carbon is on it way from Clarence Water Filters and I'll need to mod some brackets to mount it on the side of my work bench.

But here she is, it trial fit form. I may need to change a few things on final fitment but you get the idea.

I'll post again once its fitted.

filter.jpg
    392 x 800 - 44K
  • What's the benefit of the 'swan neck'?

• Looks great mate. Hope the extra bits come in handy.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @jacksonbrown From what i've read compared with a straight filter there is no chance of channeling as the product is pushed up the middle section which increases contact time with the carbon. The other obvious advantage is it's a hell of a lot shorter so I don't have to stand on a ladder to fill her up. It was dubbed the SD Swan Neck by Philter back on the 3rd page of this post.

@punkin Sure have mate!! Thanks heaps!!! :D

• I don't think there's much in that channeling claim. I don't see the difference between rising or falling???
    Is the carbon only in the riser and not the two droppers?

If height is the main concern then why don't you use those 90°'s and turn it in to an S?

That way it'll still free drain and you won't need to weld in an extra drain valve.

• Channeling can be cause for a few different reasons, ie the way the carbon is packed or if the carbon dries out and air pockets form, etc. I guess this design makes it fool proof as Harley mentioned on the 9th June 2013 on the 2nd page 3/4 the way down. That means less hassles, less headaches for me. The whole thing will be full of carbon, except for the reservoir. And will be kept wet with product all the time, a blanking plate on the top will stop evaporation.

• Just read it.
    So residences time is a valid point but that is easily controlled but throttling the outlet valve.

In an industrial setting I think what its saying is to pump up through a large vessel to make sure it stays flooded but the interpretation to the swan neck set up seems like a bit a stretch and it comes with a added few downsides too.
    Are you still using silicon seals in it?

It would be interesting to see a side by side.

• edited July 2015

@jacksonbrown

Your interpretation may be true to a point. But he did not state that in his post. He has clearly stated why it's his preferred method, on 2 occasions. As a hobbyist I like to learn what other people are doing and the pro's too and see what works. Happy dayz!! It makes sense to me So.... I wanna try filtering from the bottom up. Why not give it a go?

Both straight and Z filter designs (it does look more like a Z filter) have their advantages and disadvantages and whether it's a straight up & down filter or an "over sized" Z filter like mine, it's still gonna do a similar job if set up correctly.

I should of mentioned this earlier, I prefer the benefit this design for a few reasons that work for me:

1. It's compact, I live in a unit so space saving is a big thing when there is not a lot of it.
    2. I have maybe just under 1.5 meters of carbon filled pipe in a rig that is 910mm total height compared roughly 2 meters total height straight up & down (not including mounting it high enough to fit a demi under it).
    3. This allows me various options to mount it at a workable height without compromising safety.
    4. 1.5 m of carbon filed pipe will give me more contact time.
    5. And with that amount of carbon it will last for quite a while before it needs re-activating.
    6. This design will not run dry so the carbon remains wet all the time which is ideal.

The only dis I see is there may be 2 liters or so residual left inside it. I don't think I'm gonna miss 2 liters that I'm gonna get back the next time it gets filled up.

So you see for me it's a Win Win!!

I'll be using gaskets supplied by @punkin, but if worst comes to worst I have a sheet of viton that I can make gaskets from, but I don't think I'll be needing it.

I'm pretty happy with this set up, it suits my application perfectly.

• By all means, have a go!
    Rubber core PTFE is the best choice for seals.
    I've got heaps of solid PTFE ones but they're too hard to get a good seal without good quality clamps so they only get used in the product legs. A lot of the benefits you list are still valid if you rotate the assembly 90°.
    Like you say though, the large dead leg is only a concern on shut down. If you're continually filling it up it's only a one off loss. The volume is over 2.5L but most of that space should be taken up by the carbon.
    You might have a bit of trouble completely filling it with carbon too. That top 180° might be empty.
    Obviously that cap top to minimise evaporation will still need to breath too. Otherwise it will draw in air from the outlet.

• Does anyone have a good us supplier for activated carbon that will sell in smaller quantities to fill one of these units?

• @brewsmith said: Does anyone have a good us supplier for activated carbon that will sell in smaller quantities to fill one of these units?

Don't know where you are, but these guys are right near me and sell by the cubic foot. Haven't bought from them in a while.

Atlantic Filter of Polk County Inc. – Water Treatment Systems | Lakeland, FL

• as per the OP, Clarence Water Filters sell bulk carbon in Aus

• Hate to bump the thread without adding much, but I have about 7 ft of 2" triclamp pipe in 4 sections coming in the next few days that I would love to pack with carbon to filter the 4 gal of nice azeotrope neutral I have on hand. Anyone else stateside have a recommendation for activated carbon? Looks like a bunch of water filtration places stock the stuff. but there are several grades. Coconut, coal derived? Acid washed?

• edited July 2015

I'm located nearly next door to a big carbon supplier. If you guys in the states are interested and can decide on a carbon, I'd be glad to pick up 55 pounds and break it down to ship out smaller quantities.

Liquid & Water Filtration | Activated Carbon & Charcoal Products

• I've read the carbon manual mentioned above and it recommends filtering close to bottle proof. Has anyone tried running high proof/azeotrope neutral through carbon then cutting with distilled water as needed? I have a bunch of great neutral from the last run that I would like to polish, but don't necessarily want to store or use for tinctures in dilute form. 3.5 gal would be much easier to work with than 7.5+...

• @brewsmith Filtering azeo does have an effect, but works better at a lower abv. For the same reason we watering down low wines for a spirit run. I do know of a commercial distiller that filters azeo for certain products...... I guess try both and see what works for you.

• It should be proofed down before running through the carbon. You won't get the full effect of the carbon if the proof is too high.

• edited July 2015

Figured as much, just hoping I could be stingy :)

I ended up just buying this this AC. Should be here on Friday so, sometime this weekend I hope to do a trial run with the new setup. I'll start a new thread and include my modular vacuum filter as well once I get it all put together.

• have not purchased from them but here you go.
    Activated Carbon @ Brewhaus

• @FloridaCracker said: It should be proofed down before running through the carbon. You won't get the full effect of the carbon if the proof is too high.

I contacted my carbon supplier and they basically said the same thing. Ambient temperature and under 60%abv.

• I have ordered from brewhaus before, and had no issues, quick order fill and delivery. Rick is also the lead man in the push for home distiller legalization in the states.

• scroll down to section 502.... crazier stuff has passed... this would turn smaug's operation into still-mart ;-)

S. 1562 A BILL To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to reform taxation of alcoholic beverages.

• @CothermanDistilling said: scroll down to section 502.... crazier stuff has passed... this would turn smaug's operation into still-mart ;-)

S. 1562 A BILL To amend the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 to reform taxation of alcoholic beverages.

A rising tide raises all boats.

I would love for @Smaug to get rich when this passes. A still in every house I say.

• I went past a Communal Mens Hobby Shed in a small town today and something occurred to me about how fantastic it would be to have a distillers club for members.

A communal still, book times and all chatting and helping each other etc. If Australia had the same laws as NZ i would be all over that and so happy to sponsor a few clubs around the country side.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• A bit like this but BYO sour mash instead of sour dough?

• Come to think of it, that's similar to how I heard a lot of the traditional french distilling industry was. A big copper still on a wagon that used to travel from farm to farm stripping fermented pomace. Not sure where I heard that.

• That's how friends from Bulgaria do it.

Communal still where you "buy" time, bring your own wash/wine and pay the excise tax on the final product.

• Yep, just like that JB. I love doing that shit, i have three families coming over Sunday for a sausage fest.

• @punkin said: Yep, just like that JB. I love doing that shit, i have three families coming over Sunday for a sausage fest.

As long as it isn't a sausage party...... ;)

• After a lot a carbon prep and getting mounting brackets modified I finally put some product through the new filter. Yippee!!! Drip by drip I've collected about 4 liters so far over night. I put it in at 55% to push the water out thinking the abv may drop a few points, which it did. Came out at 52% after all the water was pushed out. The abv should remain the same from now on as it's all product. For the initial taste test I put some straight into a glass, added some ice and man o man is it smooth. I passed the glass to my misses who is my toughest critic for her thoughts. She said it tastes soo much better and wouldn't give the glass back, so it's a winner!!! Even at 52% it tastes really clean. But I will be lowering abv to 40% for all my vodkas. I'm very pleased with the end result and it's definitely worth the effort.

A BIG thanks Punkin for your help, extra bits, last minute deliveries and emails. Your customer service is excellent!!