StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Introducing the NEW +++ ProCap36 +++ Product Line-Up!

Comments

• We did not switch over yet. Soon. Dustin is out of town at the moment.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited September 2014

Sorry if I have missed this but how are the guys running ProCaps in their 4in dash, liking it? Could I run ProCaps off a regular dephleg, coolant 24C, 7200w?

• you can only run 3 caps inside a 4", and therefore supposedly not a worthy increase over the standard ones for that size... (I would like to see a head to head of the ace of hearts vs a 4" dash, though)

• I was hoping to decrease my run times by using the watts on hand. That's the only reason I would be interested.

• I believe that if you have the power to throw at it you will have a large increase in takeoff rate versus the standard caps at the same quality in a 4" unit.

There are enough changeover units out there now that hopefully some people will start chiming in one way or the other, but reports i have via email from users are all positive.

The Ace Of Hearts sounds like it will compete positively against a 4" column pound for pound if Lloyd's results end up being typical.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• well aint that a kick in the balls if the Ace Of Harts can out run a 4 inch.

• edited September 2014

@Drunkas I wouldn't be surprised if that is the case. After all these columns are evolving so it is not surprising.

If so then the next development is fairly obvious Lloyd. IF there is a demand for it.

A single cap version in 4" with a bigger size procap. :))

Ace of hearts and 4" procap for home use. 5" procap for semi-commercial and big home distiller use, and 6" and bigger for commercial.

Keep the standard caps as an option for lower power requirements use in each size?

• edited September 2014

Nope, it don't work like that.
    The Baby Dragon with a single ProCap times 4 plates delivers about 2+ liters per hour of high proof = to about a gallon per hour of sipping booze.
    The 4" ProCap times four plates has shown to me to deliver about 3 times that.

Goodgod, how much booze do you need and want?

The ProCap cost SD a small fortune to produce. To change to a bigger size will cost very much more. That's easy for onlookers to order unless you are the one paying and developing it.

The ProCap is better than anything else out there. You get it or you don't.

• edited September 2014

Fine then.. I will get it :)

• Was only kidding Lloyd. Anyone that wants a bigger dia ProCap can build it themselves. :))

• yep, as i said, pound for pound it will compete positively. I can't see it outperfoming a 4" system side by side.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Its the last thing you would want from where I am sitting. The Ace Of Harts out running a 4''. Who's going to buy a 4'' when they can buy the Ace Of Harts for a fraction of the cost unless you gona pump up the price. I can see the 4'' sales going down if the Ace Of Harts is that good. Do you have a ball park pirce for Ace Of Harts yet @Lloyd. Might have to trade in my 4''. Put the Ace Of Harts on my 120lt boiler and away I go.

• Ace of hearts by the sound of it already outperforms my dash. But I do run it like as big girls blouse..

• Why would you do that @Drunkas

Just replace your caps of the dash. Same outlay. Triple the performance..

• A 4" will produce more spirit per hour with either the classic or ProCap plates than the Baby Dragon can produce.

I know what every tiny piece costs to produce but I don't set distributor's prices. Each distributor has different import costs so only your distributor can answer questions about price. I'm confident that each distributor will present a configuration that they feel best matches their country's needs. 90s instead of the 180 bend, for example.

I don't think the Baby will compete against the 4" but instead provide a large market with an appropriately sized still. The size of a beer keg and a 4" bubble column is intimidating to many people, especially if their living quarters are small.

• Don't worry drunk as. Things always evolve mate. I was thinking about 5 inch when I saw it but I realized I sorted my system around a 4 hours run time. The next upgrade is boiler size and then probably upgrade to pro caps

• I just need a pat on the back from someone and some reassurance that my baby is not gona be outdated by the new and smallest SD still and I think Lloyd sort did that thanks mate I will sleep better tonight. Ow and Lloyd when I ask how much something is worth I generally expect punkin to jump in so dont stress I know how things work mate punkin is normally not to fart away. I dont think I need to be looking at buying any new stills paticaly after today what a bad day. Any way I need more beer.

• @Drunkas said "I just need a pat on the back from someone"... pat, pat pat... The 4" system is so versatile you will most likely not need to upgrade till you go semi-pro or pro :-c Then you'll be calling for 5" and up :D

• @Lloyd said: I didn't make a 4" plate with 4 ProCaps but did make a set of 5" plates with 5 caps instead of 4. Test runs showed little to no performance improvement for the extra expense ... if someone would do a side by side comparison on the 4" and see if the expense of an additional cap is worthwhile or not.

I do not have enough procaps to set up 2 CD's side by side, but if someone lives near me want's to come over and bring their caps I will be more than happy to run a test.

I did run a side by side between standard and 3 ProCaps and, as expected, the production rate increased without sacrificing ABV or quality. I think everyone pretty much expected that.

I also ran 4 ProCaps per plate.

Although it was a small charge at only 12%, preliminary conclusion is that you are right and I do not see a reason to justify the extra expense for 4 caps versus 3 in a 4" plate

I do have a wash waiting for me to give the 4 ProCap per plate a good long run and I will do my best to take good notes and pass them along.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 81K
    2.jpg
    800 x 506 - 53K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 71K
  • I had one of those days too @Drunkas and it was yesterday.
    A normal day that started out OK but went bad and then got worse until it totally went to crap. It was so bad I actually started drinking again (after being completely sober for more than half a day!!).

SD distributors will be able to begin their Baby Dragon pricing soon. The first small batch of them has only recently been produced but I suspect many more will be produced very soon.

If you want 1 to 2 liters of high proof and quality spirit per hour I'd go with Baby Dragon.
    2 to 4 liters per hour then I'd say the 4" with standard caps.
    4 to 6 liters per hour then 4" with ProCaps.
    6 to 8 liters per hour then 5" - only available in ProCap.

6" with ProCap, don't know the numbers yet.
    8 or 12" with ProCaps, don't know the numbers yet.
    20" with ProCaps, ain't been built yet.

You and me and everyone else that participate in the Great StillDragon Experiment are out there on the cutting edge. Together we are the first to move distilling forward in a grand way. Ain't no-one else out there developing anything new that we can buy at affordable prices. Kinda cool for us, huh?

• Hey captn...thanks for the boner. Excellent idea using 2 reflux condensers inline btw..

• Thanks guys I had few beers and Im felling much better had power spike today took out TV and my 2 desktop PC not happy. I just hope its not going to be a problem with insurance

• @Drunkas said: ... I just hope its not going to be a problem with insurance

Famous last words my friend.

• edited September 2014

@cunnyfunt said: Hey captn...thanks for the boner. Excellent idea using 2 reflux condensers inline btw..

I did it for the loose unit up the hill while he was doing a stripping run and was able to increase his strip speed from 10 to 20 litres an hour on recirc water. Distillate was coming out warm, but no vapour.

We don't have costs sorted yet, so we won't have pricing for a little while yet.

Sometimes the power company comes to the party if it's a traceable incident, Drunkas.

• @captainhooch Wow you have incredible array of SD Lego, How do store all your spares?

• I often leave the deph, reducer, 180 bend and condenser attached and hanging from the ceiling ready for the next time. Shelves, milk crates, plastic bags, what ever suits the part and sometimes, well often, the shed is just a mess littered with SD parts all over. :))

The lid on my 55g boiler has 3 x 3" ferrules and I sometimes store the CD's attached to it.

4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K
  • edited September 2014

Fanciest wind chimes I ever seen. I'm not sure that is the intent, but that double barrel 55 is sweet.

• look again @grim that's a triple barrel

• That's just crazy talk now.

• I thought I remember someone saying it was possible to place 4 ProCaps on a 4" plate :-O Has anyone tried this yet?

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8