StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

Comments

• @Kapea said: The TSA is a giant, continuous violation of the Fourth Amendment. They couldn't find their own asses with both hands tied behind their backs. Their only accomplishment is punishing the innocent. A giant jobs program indeed. Hire the incompetent and redistribute the wealth.

They do a pretty good job of frisking 80 year olds and children I hear.

• jezjez
    edited February 2016

A day in Hahndorf for lunch

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 52K
  • Franziskaner hefe weissbier hell. German wheat beer very nice

• The esters and phenols in weissbier fade quickly. Fresh in Bavaria that bier tastes like a glass of bananas, cloves and bubblegum, and it is amazingly delicious!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited February 2016

Franzi is my favourite non hop driven beer by a fucking mile.

You're a lucky man @jez, i could do with a holiday like that.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yes it was very nice beer and after a couple I didn't really feel like walking around,But the misses wanted to have a wander.

@punkin was only a day trip Hahndorf is only an hours drive out of Adelaide in the hills.

• edited February 2016

Oh well, maybe Handorf proper next time?

Handorf - Not to be confused with Hahndorf @ Wikipedia

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin

oh mate I wish that's where we were :)

• You Aussies are lucky. My favorite beer is Redback Original. Can't get it here in the states but I managed to bring a sixer back with me from my last visit. Working on a clone for it back here and going to brew some up sometime soon.

• jezjez
    edited February 2016

@SoCalBrewing :) the grass is always greener on the other side

I hope you can replicate the brew your trying to clone

• Whiskey and aged rum tasted the last two nights, just picked up the black coral an genever, sipping on the black coral... interesting... there is a hint of something that is like rotting fruit, yet very nice at the same time, like an over ripe banana, and a fruit fly came out of nowhere and tried to steal some, so I think my senses are on target... I like it...

20160302_211710.jpg
    450 x 800 - 73K
  • edited March 2016

The BCR is a bit heads forward on the blending. Definitely some chocolate notes in there too.

BCR, simple syrup, drop of chocolate bitters is a super great girly cocktail that I admit enjoying.

Comparing to the guys down south at Fwaygo, theirs definitely finishes with a tails forward note more like a Navy.

I heard someone describe as "vegital".Totally inaccurate imo. A Rhum agricole could be described as vegital with it's grassy notes that come over from fresh press cane. Fwaygo is not that.

But Fwaygo is in the rums oils, early tails, navy rum lane.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited March 2016

Vegetal/Grassy seems like the most common thread of the recent batch of craft rums I've tried. What is throwing me is that I know one of these, for certain, is a straight sugar product. Even in my worst rum trials, I've never had anything like it. Trying to wrap my head around it, perhaps something about the nutrient protocol, etc.

• And did you detect any grassy notes or was that simply the description on the label?

• Talking whites, exclusively. None of them had label notes that I remember. You can pick it up right away, that one last sniff before you sip, lingers through the finish. It's almost like a floral scent without the sweetness/pleasant odor. I'm thinking of a flower but can't quite remember, geranium or marigold? One of those has a kind of off-putting floral odors. Not talking lawn clipping grassy - more like the smell of your hands after weeding the garden grassy.

• Sounds delicious =))

• Overtones of blueberry and elderflower.

I was being nice, I think it is awful.

• Yes I assumed you thought so. Wonder if the source sugar is beets?

• Interesting idea, I wonder if you are on to something there.

• Had some beet rum in Seattle. Tasted earthy to me. Like dirt with a splash of garden weeds.

• Or was it garden weeds with a splash of dirt?

Either way,,,,,was not rum as the label implied.

• I'm not in on the sugar market, but is it true? If it ain't labeled as cane, it's probably beet? I saw somewhere that beet sugar suppliers were not obligated to label it as such, so if you saw a low price, it was probably beet.

• How can they call it then rum?

Spirits distilled from the fermented juice of sugar cane, sugar cane syrup, sugar cane molasses or other sugar cane by-products at less than 95% alcohol by volume (190 proof) having the taste, aroma and characteristics generally attributed to rum and bottled at not less than 40% alcohol by volume (80 proof)

Above is from the BAM. I thought that only sugar cane can be labeled as such?

• For me personally, simetrically grown sucrose crystals do not make rum. A and B strike crystals from cane juice with a tint of amber barely puts a smidgen of rum notes....it's hobby rum at best imo.

Beet sugar,,,,,,no way.

• @Smaug said: Had some beet rum in Seattle. Tasted earthy to me. Like dirt with a splash of garden weeds.

Not hard to believe as beets taste like dirt to start with. If you are getting a splash of garden weeds, say a blessing and be thrilled at your good luck.

• Speaking of sugar - picked up a a bunch of IM Black Pearl today - all three styles..

• edited March 2016

@grim said: Speaking of sugar - picked up a a bunch of IM Black Pearl today - all three styles..

Black_Pearl_Pelegostos_Island_DMC.jpg
    800 x 340 - 49K

• Schladerer Mirabell and it is nice

• edited March 2016

Somewhere in here @punkin, you mentioned aquiring some Bombay Sapphire. I'm curious as to how you think it compares to Tanqueray # 10.

It may be heresy, but I like Sapphire better.
    Although I really like what the fresh citrus does in # 10.

(funny stuff with Capt. Jack Sparrow's ship...)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.