StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Whats in your Glass?

Comments

• Unimpressive compared to the Tanqueray 10

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Why we never put any kind of "description" on our bottles except whats inside. Just F'ing drink it.

• Oh I dunno Lord Punkin,,,,,kinda sounds how you speak? But you gin snobs look down your nose at nearly everyone....... :))

Any good?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Well i only started drinking Gin because you told me too... :))

Nah, i think i made a mistake having my first ever gin being the Tanqueray 10 because The Botanist doesn't hold a candle to that in complexity and boldness of flavours.
    I think if i didn't have the Tanqueray to compare to i'd really like it, but the flavours meld rather than pop individually. It's not a drink you can just sit and smell in wonder.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: I think if i didn't have the Tanqueray to compare to i'd really like it, but the flavours meld rather than pop individually. It's not a drink you can just sit and smell in wonder.

A perfect description of botanicals in the boiler verses botanicals in the vapor path.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited December 2015

Tanqueray No.10 has finally arrived here on Gilligan's Island. The local big box has it on sale for $20/750mL ($13 per bottle discount they say). Picked up a case before remembering my friends from NOLA have gone home. The evaporation rate has diminished markedly round here!

Damn! First thing I notice is citrus forward, big time. Then there is a definite perception of anise. The documentation on No. 10 botanicals does not mention licorice nor anise.

I really like the idea of fresh citrus peel, instead of dried. -headslap- Why didn't I think of that?

YUM! This shit is dangerous!

• Hah, $20? I think i paid closer to $90 in aussie pesos. You bought a case?

• edited December 2015

What is the AU peso/$US exchange rate?

Yeah, the big box store doesn't provide shopping bags, so I buy things by the case so I have something to carry my purchases in. (plus, living on a remote island necessitates being a bit of a prepper)

Gonna get another case or two while it's on sale. What is the shelf life for Tanqueray No. 10? It's not marked with an expiration date...

• costs about $1.50au to buy a greenback lately. Bring back the gfc i say.

• edited December 2015

Sheeps whey Vodka from Hartshorn Distillery a bit later. Nice present from one of our members, hopefully he'll be doing bigger batches than 8 bottle runs soon with the twin SD units. 500l stripper and 200l 8 plate CD.

Stripper is beautiful with 4 empty CIP tees to get the height and watch for foaming of the fermented whey.

Really looking forward to seeing the spirit still up and running and seeing some more photos of the whole unit.

vodkahartshorn1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K
    500lstrippergrandview1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 63K

freistaedter.jpg
    800 x 600 - 50K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited January 2016

Co-worker brought a bottle since I can't get it here. Delicious

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 96K
  • Brewdogs Hoppy Christmas here

• Nothing! And after looking at trying to convert alcohol temps and densities to something useful such as standardised 20oC %m/m and %v/v...I'm in need of a bloody stiff drink or 10.

• james e pepper 1776 rye whiskey

fullers_london_pride.jpg
    600 x 800 - 53K

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• Westland single malt

• @Unsensibel said: Westland single malt

Gotta prove it by posting a pic! ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• edited January 2016

@Moonshine said: Gotta prove it by posting a pic! ;)

This was promised as being a heavy peated one. It's good but not nearly as peated as I would have expected.
    A little underwhelmed for the price point

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 96K
  • Separate and apart from the price, would you drink on a regular basis?

• edited January 2016

I had that whiskey at Proof in Seattle. It was one of two whiskies there that I found enjoyable. The other 20+ were disappointing. However, I will agree on the price point.

Many Wa distilleries are making whiskey here but only one currently has bottles on store shelves that I would consider up to par with the large price tag.

• edited January 2016

Large price tag has much to do with the state tax no?

What spirit can we use to determine the national barometer for prices? Let's see,,,,,Tito's vodka is about $24 for a 750 here. What's the cost in WA?

• edited January 2016

Ah here:

Map: Spirits Excise Tax Rates by State, 2014

WA is $35.22 per proof gallon. Highest in the nation.

• That will probably extrapolate to a very affordable bottle of whiskey in Wyoming.

fasching.jpg
    639 x 800 - 93K

• SD Distillery is doing an aged an un-aged peated specifically to address this @Unsensibel

• mmm.... Fasching... Rose Montag... isn't that the day Germans take their wedding rings off? :-)

• German Mardi Gras.

• @smaug it's smooth enough to be a good sipper, so it's going in my rotation

@Kill_Devil_Spirit_Co link? Can't find the distillery you're referring to. I'll keep it on lookout then if the local store carries it...

On a separate note, stopped by the distillery siren my street and they have a chocolate malt and wheat whiskey that was delicious. Neat and when I had a sip of water, there was a Cuoco explosion in my mouth!

• edited February 2016

@SDeurope said:

Pennerglück! That has headache written all over it....