StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Big Vodka Thread

12346»

Comments

• I have a love affair with rice vodka...the floral notes that carry over are so unique they get my attention instantly.

Everyone I have do a blind taste test can pick it out A- commercial vodka, B-as perfectly neutral as I have made, C-Rice...

If I asked you to tell me which has the floral notes, 90% pick the rice very quickly.

I'm about to try a rice mash with enzymes instead of koji. I want to see if the floral notes are rice or koji fermentation by product.

What do you think will happen?

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• @punkin said: Lacto comes across for sure. Although that could be one of the complimentary flavours you refer to in some cases. I can always taste a hint in the white dog if it's there.

Not sure what plays in plain corn souring ala pint's method, but if it's lacto like he says it's a different one to the dusty top crop infection that i think of as lacto. It's a sour milk and it carries over real well and is definitely a taste i like.

For standard beer lacto makes big frothy bubbles IME. The dusty looking pellicle is from brett which if it does produce acid it is in small quantities and is acetic not lactic, but is much more known for its barnyard character when fermented with sacc. Hope that makes some sense for your application, if not sorry for me blabbing about wild beers, one of my passions.

• Thanks for explaining that for me. I get that infection in my beers often. Comes from the environment round here where there have been much too many sour washes i think.

Then i mean the brett comes over. The lacto done from souring corn has a distinct flavour that carries over well and is much better distilled than the wash smells.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Thanks for explaining that for me. I get that infection in my beers often. Comes from the environment round here where there have been much too many sour washes i think.

Then i mean the brett comes over. The lacto done from souring corn has a distinct flavour that carries over well and is much better distilled than the wash smells.

It's pretty much doctrine that if one introduces critters into their brewery that they separate it from clean ferments and make sure to have a separate set of equipment on the cold side. Lacto and Brett are extremely common most every where in the world. Most all fruit has some brett on its skin and grain has lacto so if you aren't boiling you are introducing this to your equipment.

• some of us love those critters...