StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Big Vodka Thread

Comments

• @jbierling said: Right, but for example if you wanted to use 92 lbs sugar and 10 lbs of panela, could the 10 lbs of panela provide the yeast with all the nutrients needed to consume the 100 effective pounds of sugar?

If that ratio wouldn't work, what ratio would? How many "extra" nutrients does the panela have available to handle the sugar that is without nutrients of its own?

A related question, how far could you "dilute" the panela with normal refined cane sugar and still be left with something with a significant panela taste profile?

Sorry I do not know. My thinking is that I would typically not want table sugar used for rum.

I would blend a measure of molasses with the panela or vise verse.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited December 2013

@Rocky_Creek said: Just ordered some panela, if one used that for the source of vitamins and minerals in s sugar wash, what do you think the minimum effective percentage might be compared to the sugar in it.

@Smaug

He is making VODKA/NEUTRAL and wants to know how LITTLE panela would be needed to provide just enough vits and nutes for a white sugar wash.

I can't help thinking it would end up tasting like a very weak/watery rum though. Maybe boiled yeast and DAP would provide enough neuts.

I myself like All Bran for a vodka (with some taste). One box of generic All Bran (and some boiled yeast and DAP (both are optional, but they speed-up the fermentation) in a 45L fermentation and I get my favourite easy vodka. This is vodka, NOT neutral as there is some taste and, IMO, better mouth-feel which I prefer.

Edited: meant to say boiled yeast (not rice)

• Oh vodka? Right! Sorry.

• Smaug - Since you seem to have what many of us are looking for, how about your complete sugar wash + some grain recipe with volumes and weights where appropriate? Thanks.

• Hi Rocky, I am a cane enthusiast. Grains intimidate me and table sugar is for cakes and morning coffee....imo.

• I'm wanting to do a mashed wheat vodka. I just checked out the local feedstock place and can get 40kg wheat for $35. This seems like a good option for me. Am I wasting my time using feedstock wheat over named brands?

• No, not at all. So long as it's feed grade and not seed grade you'll be apples.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Thanks punkin. X

• edited May 2014

Can someone comment on this please. I'm trying to find a good, cheap, quick recipe to use for experimenting when I get my still. No point wasting good cash on primo ingredients when I will probably stuff up the first couple of washes and runs.

Thanks

econ-o-wash (DOC)

doc
    doc
    econ-o-wash.doc
  • edited May 2014

.3g/l of sugar is too high in my experience. You will probably end up with a stuck ferment. Also it will produce more offish type esters apparently.

.2g/l will give you less trouble.

Tbh you can't beat bird watchers tomato paste wash for simplicity. Use the online birdwatchers Tpw calculator to work out what you need. It is similar to that doc you linked pretty much

• @cunyfunt beat me to it - TPW will produce good results & is easy as.

for a 25L wash.

5kg sugar 80grams bakers yeast 1/4 tea spoon citric acid 200 grams tomato paste. I like to add some dap & crushed multivitamin tablets too - but that's me ;-)

Mix sugar, tomato paste, citric acid in some hot water (about 10l) into your fermenter to disolve all the sugar.

add 15l cold water when its about 30c or less pitch yeast.

Leave it till its done, then a bit longer & it'll clear to a pale red. rack into your boiler & away you go.

• edited May 2014

Thank you, just the advice needed for a newbie. Birdwatchers recipe calls for lemons, yours citric acid, is that for pH adjustment?

• edited May 2014

forgot to add a link to a TPW calculator

• Lemon/citric is to balance the pH.

• Sorry that was kg/l in my above post. Wasnt entirely sober last night

• Do you check your pH or is near enough good enough? I knew you meant kg/L.

• edited May 2014

I have never checked pH with birdwatchers.. It's just works:) Ideally the yeast thrive optimally between 5.2-5.4 pH

• Since setting up my new brew shed I'm now restricted by height. I was running 4 plates and 500 packed section and quite happy

I think now the max is could go is two plates and a packed section. Do you'll think I'd still get a decent vodka with single pass or should do a strip and then spirit with the two plate and packed section

• @jonno said: Since setting up my new brew shed I'm now restricted by height. I was running 4 plates and 500 packed section and quite happy

I think now the max is could go is two plates and a packed section. Do you'll think I'd still get a decent vodka with single pass or should do a strip and then spirit with the two plate and packed section

I'd say give it a go with 2 and the packed section, you can always run it again if it doesn't come out how you want.

Until I get a packed section (next month or two) Im going to be running my neutral and vodkas twice through my 4 plater (when it arrives :s)

Anyway you can reduce hight?

• Crystal Dragon offers a big height advantage over the Dash series.

JustSayingPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I would strip if it was me.

• I've tried it both ways many times and prefer a spirit run on a low wines charge.
    At least that way I can run quicker and get a great big hearts cut.
    I don't collect deep into the tails on the stripping runs so a lot of that nastiness is already gone from the low wines.

• Swap the dash for a crystal @Punkin ? Lol

• 6 x 4" bubble tees (each 150mm tall) is 900mm
    Crystal dragon sections are 100mm tall and with flanges a 6 section CD is 720mm tall.
    The reduced height 4x4x2 bubble tee is only 108mm tall but you have to peep through the smaller 2" SGK.

• edited May 2014

4 plate cartridge to swap out 4 tees in CD is 510mm.

Last i heard from you Johnno you wanted a CD just to put on your bar and show it off? B-)

ThatWasYouWasn'tItPunkin

• Yeah that was before I planned on this bloody kegerater that's gonna cost a small fortune :D

• Just putting something together. I enjoy building when I can

• @jonno said: Just putting something together. I enjoy building when I can

Will you be posting some photos and details as you go @Jonno? I'm semi interested in building one myself in the near future. Was thinking of using Glycol mounted in the fridge, and using a small 12v pump for the flooded font...

• I could recreate my build if you haven't seen it on ahb @Philter.