StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

The Big Vodka Thread

Just wondering if there is any interest in starting a whole new thread dedicated solely to Vodka; recipies, column configurations, what has worked or did not work for you etc.. I have been playing with a few recipies including a modified version of Ian Smiley's wheat vodka and so far it is working for me.

Tagged:

Comments

• I am interested in hearing more about the Vodka subject

• @Mountanieer yeah, me too, but it does not seem like a hot topic here.

• So far I've done....

Sugar wash vodka (TPW)
    Potato Vodka (only one bottle :( )
    Palm Sugar Vodka
    Molasses based Vodka
    Rice based Vodka
    Radish based Vodka

• edited December 2013

Just stripped 12 gallons of 9% today. Recipe was an all grain red wheat vodka. I have made a few batches in the past and it was delicious! Hopefully i can do a spirit run tomorrow it should yield around 2 gallons of 100 proof with some other low wines i added Running 4 plates (all i have) with a stripping run

• I'd follow this thread for Vodka related stuff.

I would really like to see an active Whisky thread as well.

From what I can see Vodka, Rum, Whisky are mostly the top 3, other stuff after that, or recipes that use neutrals.

Fadge

• @Cambo most seem to use the white variety. I'll have to give red a try. I just started running plated columns a few months ago so it is a wild learning curve for me. Keeping some things simple, like using Ians wheat recipe has helped me learn to run my still. I have also started to mess around with mashing techniques that involve steaming the grains before dough in and also moistening the barley before milling it to help minimize hull damage, and using liquid enzymes for better convertion...I am having a blast. once I get comfortable with these techniques I will be looking to do some of the more tricky ones like flaked wheat and potato flakes, which can be a PITA

@Law_Of_Ohms that TPW vodka, was it the turbo version, and did the turbo method add any off flavors.

• edited December 2013

Great guide to Wheat Whiskey from a wheat farmer here tht could be used for vodka.

BW Redneck's Wheat Whiskey Method @ AD

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @captainshooh - no standard TPW, = Sugar, tomato paste and yeast, I use EC-1118

• That Red Wheat is super spicy, add a few kilo of dextrose to increase the ABV. What yeast selection are you using? What about the charcoal filtering? I would really like a a turn-key charcoal filter that works and does not need multiple gallons to use. I would like to see a Whiskey thread too.

• @punkin thanks for the link, very good read.

@Law_Of_Ohms I have EC-1118 but I am not sure on how long it will take to finish and since I am on a 2 week schedule, I have been waiting for a chance when I can use it and have it finish before I leave so I do not let it sit on the yeast after it has finished. Also have an abundance of Red Star Dady, which finishes rather quick and fits my schedule. I will have to play with the EC-1118 some more. Last time I used it was on a panela rum and it took around 3 weeks. Maybe pitch when I leave and hope in 2 weeks when I get back is closed to been ready. It's starting to get a bit cooler and I am sure the EC will like it but it prolly take a while. I could run the heater in the fermenter but hate to leave it unattended.

@nvnovrts +1 on the dextrose, I use it to boost PABV but not by much just a few points here and there. Was thinking about a dextrose and wheat or rye 75/25 to see how it goes. For filtering, when needed, I use a big 2.5 gal stainless funnel and 36" section TC and fine charcoal. Runs thru fairly slow and seems to work, a smaller version should do fine and +1 on the whiskey thread, so many combinations and methods, should make a great addition to the forum.

• @nvnovrts said: That Red Wheat is super spicy, add a few kilo of dextrose to increase the ABV. What yeast selection are you using? What about the charcoal filtering? I would really like a a turn-key charcoal filter that works and does not need multiple gallons to use. I would like to see a Whiskey thread too.

I'm using US-05, a bit flavorful but all i had on hand. No filtering. I have tried to do a one run style red wheat vodka and it did have some spice to it! Not vodka by definition but it sure drank good thats for sure!

• When you do a straight rye batch its really clear where that note comes from in a good whiskey. I had the same experience, not vodka. I'd love to be a fly on the wall to see what goes on in the lab at the big boys shop.

• I'm of the opinion that great vodka is not flavorless.
    It carries over a hint of the grain bill.
    But only a hint.

• @Lloyd said: I'm of the opinion that great vodka is not flavorless.
    It carries over a hint of the grain bill.
    But only a hint.

Exactly!!^^^^^

• @Lloyd Sounds like a hint to look for em late hearts cuts... :D Just got back froma local beer brewing club meeting where they meet once a month and talk about "in the shed" stuff. Everyone brought samples of what they have brewing for all to sample and had an open discussion on how they went about getting there. Awesome, met a lot of folks already doing beer, looking to jump the fence the next level...learned a heap of good stuff from their techniques for mashin and so forth. I think I created a couple of monsters...with some SD DNA in them :)

• @Lloyd EDIT.. meant to say late HEADS...oops sampled too many good homebrews :\">

• I have done a few wheat vodka runs with 84% wheat and 16% 6 row (Ian Smiley's) and want to try something different. On hand, plenty of dextrose, 50 lb 6 row, 50 lb malted white wheat, 100 lb regular white wheat, 25 lb rye, 10 lb flaked corn and plenty of chemicals for ph, hardness, nutrients etc... and 2 types of yeast, Lavilin EC 1118 and Red Star Dady....any suggestions for a recipe thta will do with what I have? It's a 2 hour one way trip to supplier and want to use what is on hand before it gets a chance to go bad on me. Any suggestions?

• I was digging around in the shed and found 125 lb rye as well...and my hi temp liquid enzymes from Arisan Distiller have arrived so now it is onwards with a new recipe, anybody?

• What enzyme is that?

• edited December 2013

@jbierling, this is where I got my new enzymes.

Always had good results with regular stuff, just playing with different stuff to see how it goes.

• SEBStar HTL SEBAmyl GL and SEBFlo TL are exactly what I use instead of Malted grains. But I buy them in 10gallon jugs direct from the manufacture.

• Thanks for the reference. I've been playing with Novozyme products. Any luck using them with 100% corn/rye? To keep this vodka related, a vodka from either of those grains?

• I use them with 100% Wheat mash for my Vodka. I have not tried them with corn or rye but I see no reason they should not work.

• My main problem is that I'm trying to break down cracked corn in less than a 2 hour boil. But I'll have to try wheat too. What's your mashing regimen?

• I posted it a few months ago in this comment. I have made a few minor changes mostly due to equipment changes. But you will get the idea.

• I need some advise, did my first dextrose wash four days ago. 50 lb mixed for a total of 26 gal. Used Lavilin EC 1118 and it has finished now just above 0.990. However the wash has a milky color, it does smell great, just not sure if I should wait a day or so to see if it will clear, or is it normal for dextrose to stay cloudy

dextrose_wash.jpg
    800 x 600 - 29K
  • I've never used dextrose before @captainshooch, but my sugar washes take a lot longer than a few days (usually a week or two) to clear.

If I'm running short of time, I'll run it through a 1 micron absolute filter. Is 4 days a quick ferment for EC1118?

• Thanks @Philter , I may have answered my own ? The batch I took a pic off, is starting to settle..so I will give it overnite and check in am. I was out of town and checked as soon as I got back so it must have just finished sometime today. Should be settled and clear tomorrow and I have the big rig ready :D I have had great luck with sugar washes and 72 hrs is done, but I do keep the temp at optimum with a heater and an STC-1000 and I spend most of my efforts on making a good wash. First time with Dex. a 12 ABV wash to be run thru the Dash 10 plate column. Just doing some experiments.

dextrose_wash_settled.jpg
    800 x 600 - 44K
  • @Philter 4 days for EC1118 is IMO fast, but I did take carefull preparation and used the proper amount of nutes and hydrated 120 grams of yeast in the stirplate until it was about to blow over and hooked up the pure Oxygen bottle to the wash for about 30 minutes and I had a good active fermentation started within a couple of hours of pitching. I had a feeling it was going to go fast but never expected it to be this fast. We'll see how it turns out, plan to run it in the morning.