StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Kale Wash

Comments

• edited February 2014

Kale wash is now at .989, I am pulling the plug and letting it chill down and clear... the taste is amazingly clean... very small sour hint should be a 11% wash will let it clear and give her a run through a thumper, two plates and 36" of scoria or that's the plan at his point...

Will update it as it progresses thanks to all who are following this thread..

Happy Stillin,

FS

• Please please don't die before we get the taste result, this sounds like the way to go with one simple ingredient and being all natural.

• edited February 2014

Wash is clearing nicely. SG still at .989 and holding even while cold.

Wash still has a greenish tint but is going translucent.

Taste is still slightly tart. There is no off smell to this wash at all.

Could run it now but will wait to see if it continues clearing.

• edited February 2014

This is a Comparison, had this sitting a week or so, fg 989, same.

kale_wash.jpg
    800 x 600 - 58K
  • Pretty impressive how that works off very dry.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• What do you mean by dry smaug?.

• edited February 2014

Dry= 1.00 or lower. Dry like dry wine.

• Rinsed out the boiler in anticipation of running the wash ..... its clear with a slight green tint to it.. nothing else still sitting at .989 SG

take care

FS i

• ran a ground/juiced whole cucumber wash using this recipie, substituting cucumber for kale. I actually added 50% more cucumber to be safe. it finished in 4 days at .990 with 3.2 PH. worked like butter.

Distilled it twice. first distillation had a lovely cucumber flavor. second was pretty close to neutral as it came off at 92%. wonderfully clean and mild as the cuke added little flavor. my best effort so far.

I also tried fresh green beans ground up, and finished the same time, but had a bean flavor to the stripping run. nothing objectionable but definitely smelled like fresh beans have not run the spirit run yet.

trying watermelon next.

• There is nothing like a little HEADS on a saturday afternoon...

The Kale wash is a clear as can ever be... tartness has dimenished a bit no off smell. Am running 14 gallons in the first batch.

100ml of fores/heads off at this point and they taste well ... horrid like acetone really sweet. just had to do it...

Will pull 300ml and then check it again to see if most everything is cleaning up...

So far this one is running well... on thumper, 2 plates and 36" of scoria.

FS

• edited February 2014

Am into hearts now...@2L an hour or so at 95+... i just stole 1/2 oz and cut it back to 50abv Its got a nice flavor, flavor little to none, just the faintest hint of florals, no grainyness as there is no grain in it and it has no sharp corners on it currently... mind you this is fully aged and aired for like... 2 minutes but i had to give it a taste...

and on we go

FS

• definitely something different @rocky_creek

• edited February 2014

The first 14 gallons are completed...

300 ml of fores and heads...

7/8 gallon of hearts @ 95%+ ...

1 1/8 gallons of tails and feints @ 40% ...

So the kale wash proved out to be in the 10 to 11% wash range as it was calculated to be

Will add the tails and feints to the next run. Fores will be tossed.

FS

• If I understand correctly, you distilled this without a stripping run using two plates and a packed column?

• edited February 2014

I use an inline thumper, two perf plates and 36" of packed scoria... this was a single pass run... once past hearts... I did strip out the remainder of the wash down to 20% which goes into run 2...

I just cut a pint of this from 95 down to 40 abv and its quite pleasant to taste...

Kale run 2 is just about to start i am 10c from being up to temp.

I am preheating with 8000 watts and drop one off when i get with about 5c of target temperature and use a controlled element to bring it to temps slowly...

FS

• Got a pick of that set up FS?

• The 2 Googe's Goo Kale runs are complete. total to 28 gallons of wash. The initial SG of the wash indicated about 11% alcohol.

Here are my final number

21oz. of fores/heads

2 1/8 gallons hearts @95 abv

1.5 gallons of cuts, tails and low wines @40 abv

End numbers indicate the wash produced neutral in the quantities as projected.

Product is currently airing but when diluted to 40 abv with distilled water it is amazingly clean and crisp, no biting or sharpness, mouth feel smooth, there is a small amount of sweetness that lingers at the end and a very faint floral note.

All in all i think it will be enjoyed by many as is, or it could be made into many types of flavored products.

I will update this as things develop further with the washes or finished product.

I think Googe put may have put together a winner here... give it a try...

• Well my product has aired for a couple of days and its sitting at just under 95abv. I cut 2 quarts of it down to 40abv using distilled water.

The taste is clean, crisp with no sharpness on the front or back of the tongue. There is no graininess. The finish gradually goes to sweet... with just the faintess hint of something floral... not sure if i can put the finish into words exactly but its nice...

If you decide to give this a try please post your results in this thread so others may gain on your experience.

Thank you all for following along and may the Great Hydrometer watch over you in your stilling journey.

Happy Stillin,

FS

PS: Many thanks to Googe for his development work, only that made this wash possible...

• Hi @googe. Just top let you know. Today I did a stripping run with my Kale wash. Got a good yield(10 litres at 50% from 37.50 litres of wash. I tasted it in the middle of the run and was well impressed. For a strip it was surprisingly smooth and quite fruity. If I'd taken more care I could almost have used it as a single pass. I'll definitely use this again.

• edited February 2014

@FullySilenced - What was the temperature of the wash or surrounding area please? It seemed to work off pretty fast.

• edited February 2014

Good stuff @Grip, glad it worked for you mate. Your spirit run should be nice :-). Don't forget to tell us how it goes :-).

• @Rocky_Creek my temps in the room was in the 70's but i had an oil filled heater under the bench keeping it warm and also wrapped the 33 gal fermenter with double bubble foil wrap to help catch and maintain a stable heat temp... was using bakers yeast so as long as you keep it in that happy temp range you should be fine...

FS

• I'm now just about to strip my 2nd half of my big wash (760L) using Kale. Initial brew was 100kg barley malt, 150kg sugar, 1kg Kale. 1st Strip got me 80 L of 60% so I'm hoping for the same again.

• That IS a big wash grip lol. I'm interested to see how it turns out, havnt used it for a flavored drink yet, hope it tastes good!.

• 2nd strip much the same. Vodka run next - scheduled for Thursday. This is when it gets exciting!

• Was thinking of a neutral wash and @googe's Goo came to mind... makes good stuff...

Happy Stillin

FS

• So is this just a nutrient source for a sugar wash or are you actually using the kale as the source of the sugar?

• Use quinoa instead of barley - then you can call your hooch health food.

• Sugar wash but it's a clean and green one... :))