StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Kale Wash

Comments

• Good luck mate, looking forward to what you think!.

• Just putting the yeast in a 40L mix - 150gm Kale, 10k sugar, 5gm citric acid- SG 1.089.

• edited January 2014

That should ferment out to a little under 15%abv. Most of us aim for less than 12% (or even less than 10%) so as not to stress the yeast - potentially causing taste issues. Might take a while to ferment out too.

Bakers yeast might handle that but EC-1118 would do better.

• Yeah that's a bit of sugar for 40L. Will make.the yeast work, I do 5kg for 25L max, usually 4~4.5 these days. I hope it works for touch, makes me.nervous lol. good luck.

• Hmm! My calcs. Made it 10.5% if I get it down to 1.009. I'm using a Nottingham ale yeast that I am familiar with. Never tried to push it so hard before so it'll be interesting!! It's taken off like a rocket. I'll take a reading tomorrow and see how we're doing. Incidentally it looks revolting, is that right?!!

• IT should go down way below 1.00 down in the .998 or lower range as its just a sugar wash.. let it sit longer and it to take it lower still

• My experience is in brewing so far. Running a commercial brewery for ten years. I'm fascinated by the notion of going beyond 1.000. Can't wait to watch the readings! Thinking about it, I don't have a hydrometer that goes beyond 1.005!!

• Well you know where to get one. :-*

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Your sg is about the same as mine usually is, it should go down to 990, mine usually does, or there abouts. I'm glad it took off well for you, that's one of the things I noticed when I dirt did it was how active it is at first!, then it dies down and some I've done are quite inactive looking till you look close and see all the tiny bubbles. depends how you've added the kale, if it's in chunks itcan look horrid lol. Was talking to fullysilenced the other day about using a juicer to extract the good ness, be the best way I reckon!. I've found, the finer you can get the leaves the nicer looking and more active it is.

• I stuck the kale in a blender and kept it going until it was mainly sludge with a few small bits. I then boiled it in a pressure cooker for 5minutes. I filtered it through a fine mesh into the fermenter, but then I changed my mind and chucked it all in any way!!

• Made up 28 gallons of it, but i am gonna call it "Googe's Goo"... blended the kale to juice and used the whole plant in the wash... this wash will make Kermit the Frog jealous, so ifn you don't like green stay away from the Goo.

44 pounds of sugar to 28 gallons plus 1 pound of juiced Kale wash cost of $27.00 us

calculates out to 11.1% wash

added 60 grams of high sg bakers yeast at 95f

IF all goes well it should be rolling in a short while...

Thanks in advance for the Goo Recipe, Googe

FS

• 5 Hours later it's green and its ALIVE.... Big Time!

• Good luck with your Kermit Juice, FS.

• Appropriate name fully lol. Glad it's working for you. How green is it?, like my picture?. did you stick just the juice or the particals too?. It should start looking less green in a day or so.

• The Goo has dropped about 10 pts sg wise and has billions of champagne bubbles rising... its running a little warm around 90F. but looks and smells good.

• 24 hours it's dropped 20 pt on the sg scale still chugging along..

FS

• @Lloyd said: Good luck with your Kermit Juice, FS.

Frog in a blender

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Still working off, is down to 1.040 another 10 pts... was cold last night here wash temp dropped down about 10 degrees .... think it slowed it a little but it's still champagne bubbling away wash is rolling from bottom to top you can see bits an pieces of the kale surfacing...

FS

.btw wash tastes great....smells good

• Wrapped the fermenter and added a oil filled heater in the room... temps up to 90 or so... Still champagne bubbles and the SG is 1.030, dropping about 10 pts a day still.. tastes sweet kind of a melonish kiwi flavor to the wash...smells great but with little or no smell.

Starting to clear a bit, the krausen is much less and the color is no longer bright green but has fallen a little dull looking and much more transparent/

that's the news...

happy stillin,

FS

• That's a good explanation to.the taste fully!. I'm glad it's working for you like it should, it sounds spot on to.how.mine.are. youll be happy how well it clears. How are you going to run it?.

• Googe how did you arrive at kale compared to any other available green leafy?

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Well mine's gone from 1.089 to 1.051in six days and still going well. I'm thinking that an ale yeast was not the best idea. Maybe I'll reseed with some champagne yeast to liven things up a bit! Surprisng taste for kale.

• edited January 2014

@Smaug, the missus used to try and get me to eat it all the time.cause it was good for.me 8-| lol, but as you know, most things that are good for you taste like shit!. So, she kept saying, it's good for you, it's the most nutrient rich food in the world, nutrients!, sugar! Yeast, a light bulb came on in my head and had to try it lol. Plus we have tons.growing!. Does sound a little slow.grip, I've never tried any other yeast!. I always try stick to ingredients when trying new things, makes it hard to know.whats wrong if something is. What's it taste like?. Good.luck.

• Still working off, is down to 1.022 another......it's still champagne bubbling away wash is rolling from bottom to top you can still see bits an pieces of the kale surfacing...

FS

wash tastes great still sweet ....smells good no off smells

• SG is still dropping, bubbling away still the small champaigne bubbles....ferment is still rolling up from the bottom and you can see small pieces of kale move up.... as Googe described it like snow in a snow globe..... color is now a dull green rather than vivid green.

Wash is loosing some of the sweetness and now has a tart edge on it as I expected as the SG drops...

• SG is still dropping, bubbling away still the small champaigne bubbles....ferment is still rolling up from the bottom... BUT HAS SLOWED DRASTICALLY PH HAS DROPPED TO UPPER 4'S OR LOW 5's But it is still working off

Smell is still clean no off smells, taste is good but getting more tart less sweet...

• edited February 2014

The wash was just taking a 24 hour breather i guess... it back rolling along and dropped about 8 SG points over night... again its like a snow globe with small bits surfacing back to the top...

The only thing i did was to use a spatula and stir the wash up for about 2 minutes moving all the yeasties lying on the bottom back into suspension.

This was done after @googe mentioned to me that he stirs his washes daily... good or bad it seems to have worked in this case...

I am letting this wash take its own course what ever the time required...

FS

• SuperBowl Halftime wash check its at about 1.002 now and still working

• Yeasties must have enjoyed the superbowl and worked overtime... the wash is at .995 this morning and tastes a hint of sour, nothing intense of excessive. No off smell.

Still bubbling some, want to see just how far it might drop...