StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Kale Wash

Comments

• Take a cue from the Poitin recipe and throw in some Acai berries too.

• jezjez
    edited March 2016

Hi all I have made 4x25 lts batches but I used 20 grams of ec1118 yeast. It's been going for 16 days in warm to hot Adelaide weather sg is at 1.020 and still bubbling along nicely and smells great can't wait to strip it down. What a top recipe. I've only ever made a couple of batches of tpw and from the smell of this I would say it's a vast improvement. Thanks for sharing all you guys rock.

• Just have to join in the praise for thew Kale wash, outstanding in yield and quality. We are going to try running the kale through a Breville juicer next time and see how that goes, as the cleaning of the fermenter without dried Kale round the top after the initial "boil" would be easier. =D>

• I came across Googe kale wash a few years back...I've done a number of Golden syrup washes with kale. It makes a brilliant rum.

Of all the beautiful things in the world, only man can invent boredom

Drinking rum before 11am doesn't make you an alcoholic, it makes you a Pirate

• @Icefever - any clue as to a recipe for that Rum Wash?

• No problem mate. Pour 5.5 kgs of Golden syrup into a bucket...thin with boiling water to start off. Add cold water upto 23 litres. Work out the SG, if you need to add amore GS upto around 1.080. Take 100 grams of kale..into a pan with about 100ml of water...smimmer for 10 mins, strain and add to the wash. Take the temp when about 28c add 75grams of bakers yeast. I'm having a problem with this post as the text screen is yellow and I can't see the post unless I preview.

• Cheers - so the obvious is what benefit is the Kale to the Wash..?

What is the difference off the parrot & from a taste/ flavour profile?

• It's used as yeast nutrient.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Seems the nute profile allows for minimal off flavors so ends up being a good recipe for neutral spirits.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• At the end you are left with a killer kimchi.

• Stripping 40 litres of kale wash - looks like I have found my new fave recipe for neutrals. I understand what other people are saying about clean fresh product with the slightest sweet flowery taste. Give it a try!

• Might have to give this a go. The original recipe was 100g kale blended up, 5 kg sugar, 90 gm bakers yeast made up to 25 litres.

My question is does this just scale up to give a brew of 150 litres?

• It seems to do just that... i have made batches up to 33 gallons... its not a rapid ferment wash... just give it time to do it's thing and you should be pleased with the end results Happy Stillin,

FS

• You guys that have not tried it yet, will not be disappointed.

• Set up two fermenters using frozen kale left over from the initial bunch - hmm the gas coming out the airlocks for a while smelled like, well the gas after eating old cabbage! Luckily that appears to have dissipated now!

• That would be indicative of yeast stress due to insufficient nutrient.

• @grim said: That would be indicative of yeast stress due to insufficient nutrient.

I gues we'll find out when it is time to strip it. The smell went away after one hour and both airlocks are merrily blooping away.

• @grim said: That would be indicative of yeast stress due to insufficient nutrient.

I would think it would be the norm when fermenting brassicas, they are generally full of sulphur compounds.

• I reckon freezing the kale started the breakdown in to fart gas

• edited December 2016

I know cooking the shite out of it let's it out :)

• Glad people are liking it :-). Interesting about the fart smell in only the frozen stuff. I get the fart smell most times, different washes differ though. I've read heaps about long ferment times, mine are usually a week, two to make sure everything is happy. Just seems odd it can ferment so long, but it's initially a violent start and seems very active through the entire time. I'm wondering if it's totally feeding yeasts till there full as pigs and that's where the clean tastes come from?, like with tpw etc I've always got that yeastey taste if not stripped alot. Eg, my rum/kale washes seem cleaner, lighter, not that yeast flavor sometimes I get.

• Sorry to resurrect the Kale recipe, but what to ferment is next up on my list. I am of course still needing to drill my controller box - putting off, putting off.

Does this remain one of the top recommended recipes for vodka, neutral?

• It is my go-to recipe for neutral! Give Googe's Goo a go!

• @kimbodious said: It is my go-to recipe for neutral! Give Googe's Goo a go!

I will. Not sure which yeast to go with EC1118, or Allinson's bread yeast.

• I use baker's yeast, the brand name here is Lowans

• Any newbies trying this?

• We drink a liqueur a mixer made from Vodka (or in our case neutral) and Triple Sec. The other night I could pick it without tasting that she'd used a commercial vodka :p (Blue Sky) in place of the kale wash recipe neutral. I certainly prefer our KWRN over that particular vodka

• I tried a similar thing with the local bush "spinach" it worked OK for a 20L batch but scaling to 200L batches proved dubious and required better nutrient load.

taste was neutral and unremarkable in my experiments.

• edited January 2019

Trying this one out, hopefully I make a better job of it than my first go with TPW into gin which came out with a nice hint of spicy rubber, not the light citrus I was hoping for.

100L put together last night, 87L water 20kg sugar and 450g fresh kale cooked in a little water for 10 mins and blended. Started at 1.080 and down to 1.070 after 24 hrs.

It sure is green.

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 74K
  • My ignorance ..... Kayle ????? Kayle is a salad ??