StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• edited January 2017

@Smaug said:

Hah! There ya go. How to order a beer and where's the bathroom? What else would you need?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Chuan, Bao, Char sui and xie xie.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Shaobing is the name .

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited January 2017

Making Bak Kwa this weekend.
    I had this at Chinatown in Sydney once twenty years ago and have looked for it ever since. The only time i have seen it is in airports and always $150 a kilo.

Started yesterday by mincing coarse 2.6 shengs of pork trim, then mixing in the seasonings and liquids. Then ran half of it back through a medium plate and mixed it all together again and set in the fridge overnight.

Today i will roll it out thin and put it in the cold smoker with no smoke (it'll still pick up a little smoke from the environment in there) and set it for 80C to dry during the day with a fan going like a traditional jerky. I think most recipes showing oven baking are just making it easy to do at home. The ones i had were definitely from a dehydrator.

Then i will try the honey before grilling but i suspect that the sauce applied before grilling should be Char Sui and will also try that, plus i will try some chilli ones.

I'll take pics of the process if anyone's interested?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yes please.

• @punkin said: I'll take pics of the process if anyone's interested?

Always!

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• edited January 2017

Well it turned out great!

I rolled it out thin between two pieces of baking paper, and then put it on racks in the cold smoker at a temp that slowly ramped up to 80C for half a day to dry.

Then took it out, brushed with a sweet sauce and baked it in the oven at 180C for a few minutes before flipping it over and baking the other side for a few minutes.
    I tried honey as the recipes stated, then substituted for Char Sui which i knew would be better, then for hot chilli glaze which was way too hot. So most of it is with Char Sui glaze.

There is some changes i would make next time to the process and the recipe, starting with the addition of Cure # 1 which will give it added safety from a food standard point and also change the texture to a more rubbery chew that i think will be a benefit.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 115K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 91K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 93K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 108K

• How does it "chew" now then?

• edited January 2017

It's good. Not a jerky toughness but still stays together more than a patty, like a fruit leather made of meat.....

It's a very good beer snack.

• Found some here at the Chinese New Year celebration. Thanks for the heads-up. Don't know that I would have tried it if I hadn't seen your link. Good stuff!

• edited February 2017

spag1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K

• edited February 2017

shanks1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 111K

• edited February 2017

Ended up with potatoes and kumera in foil with duck fat, lemon rind, fennel and pepper smashed paste, white beans with bacon and shallot, baked shallot and the garlic stuffed coffee rub lamb shanks.

shanks2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 83K

• edited February 2017

Meat on a stick night.

Satay pork with Peanut Sauce and Garlic King Prawns with black and green peppercorns

meatonastick1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 133K

• edited February 2017

I'm not one to post images of food that other people have cooked, but i have made an exception for the crocodile fillets i had for dinner last night.

First time trying it and i'd be happy to order it again.

crocodile.jpg
    600 x 800 - 70K

• @punkin, tastes like chicken, right? :))

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Looks like chicken when it's sliced, but the taste is a fishy kind of hint at the end. Looks like a chicken breast, much tougher.

Bourbon Girl got ribs and took a doggy bag home so i put my 3rd fillet i couldn't eat in there with it and had it sliced with fried rice for dinner last night. I would and will order it again in a flash, it was really good sliced thin. If i saw it at the butchers i'd buy it.

Just glad it's not local.

• edited February 2017

Been making Ham and Chicken Rolls off and on for a couple decades now, but they seem to have worked their way onto the regular rotation lately.

hamandchcikenrollsq.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K

• Looks like great beer drinking food.

• edited March 2017

Brotzeit with home made Obatzda

image.jpg
    600 x 800 - 113K
  • edited March 2017

Stuffed a lamb shoulder with garlic, shallots, sage, rosemary and pepper and just put it on the kettle smoker with charcoal and apple wood trimmings at 250f for 5 or 6 hours.

• Made another batch of kimchi. And another batch of sauerkraut. FedEx man delivered my two 5L Harsch fermenting crocks today, intact! Had to fill them immediately! One dedicated to kimchi, the other to kraut.

• edited March 2017

lamb2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 127K
    lamb4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K

• What with the smile, Punkin, that top one looks kinda like an old girlfriend.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited March 2017

Bet the light switch was your best friend.

Reminds me of when i took this big girl home and i was going at it in missionary.

I said to her 'Do you mind if i turn the light off?'.
    She got all upset and asked if i thought she was ugly, i said 'No it's burning my arse.'

SheWasABiggunPunkin

• You know - would really love to learn to make a great pretzel at home.

• edited March 2017

@Kapea Made plenty of good kraut but never been happy with the kimchi attempts. Actually the sweet pea was using more of my juniper in the kraut than was going in my gin. Built a nice foam box with a stc1000and heater mat so could control temp perfect. 4 litre jar at a time. Even bought heaps of the Korean chilli whose name escapes me at the moment but not great results. It's funny how the circle turns and the smelly pot with a rock in it full of stinking cabbage of childhood becomes the in / healthy thing again.

I think the trick with kimchi is the individual leaf roll / squash and coat whereas putting a whole cabbage thru a Japanese benrinere slicer only takes minutes and does not require the attention of good kimchi

• edited March 2017

Charcoal BBQ peppered prawns and vegies last night. Been working on the pepper coating, pretty happy with it now.

prawn1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 118K

• Kimchi is pretty easy. The ceramic crocks are for keeping the fermenting temperature from swinging. No need for heating/cooling. 20C nights, 26C days down here at sea level on the windward side. I think it's the local microflora that make the difference. The pepper is called gochugaru. Our local stores offer numerous different brands.

Yeah, these days it's all about the probiotics. Fresh sauerkraut and kimchi are loaded with them. No worries with constipation here...

• edited March 2017

If you like Korean kine stuffs, Maangchi knows.

Joe Bob says, "Check it out!"