StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• Because of my wife's peanut allergy, I have to use cashews in my satay sauce. It's actually a pretty good substitution.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited December 2016

Yeah i often use Cashews too Bob. Bourbon Girl prefers them as the peanuts upset her stomach.

Jez, the recipe is an anglicised version that makes a very good sauce that i used for a very long time (i liked it much hotter and used more chilli, you may too). Now that i have enough knowledge of ingredients and process to be dangerous in the last few years i tend to just make stuff using the right ingredients and then make sure it balances, which is what i did today. What i made bears very little resemblance to the below recipe, even though all the main ingredients (didn't use salt) are there. I added belanchan, kaffir lime leaves, green birds eyes, Jimmy's Sate sauce, roasted peanuts, fish sauce, palm sugar, tamarind paste, chilli flakes, sesame oil etc.

Peanut Satay Sauce

Mince 2 red chillies, 2 cloves garlic, 2 onions in a food processor. Heat 2 tbsp peanut oil, cook mince till tender. Add 185 gms peanut butter, 2 tbsp lemon juice, stir, add water, 2 tbsp sugar, ½ tsp salt. Cook until thick.

Singapore Satay;

Marinade meat in minced ingredients;
    2 cloves garlic
    2 onions
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp ginger 4 tbsp sugar
    2 stalks lemon grass
    1 tbsp oil

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited December 2016

I forgot, i also added half a can of cocnut cream i had in the fridge.

Jez if you like Satay you'd love Bang Bang Chicken.

To make the actual dish use sliced (poached traditional, but baked or charcoal from the shop works) chicken, shelf fresh hokkien noodles straight from the pack at room temp and traditionally a 2 hour pickled veg combination of celery, carrot and cucumber. You could pickle the veg in 2 tbsp vinegar, 1 tbsp sugar and 1 tsp salt for a few minutes and it would work too, just be a bit crunchier.

Mix the noodles with a little sauce, add the veg and lay some slices of chicken on top. Sauce with the sauce and garnish with some fried shallots and herbs like mint or parsley.

Bang Bang Sauce

2 tbsp crunchy peanut butter
    1 tsp sesame oil
    3 tbsp soy sauce (1.5 of mushroom soy and 1.5 of regular dark soy works well)
    1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
    2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
    1 tsp sugar
    2 tbsp peanut oil (i use canola as i don't keep peanut in the cupboard)

mix it all together in a bowl with a fork or whisk and let it down with a tbsp water if necessary. Taste to balance.

If you have a charcoal chicken it's dinner from the fridge to the table in 10 mins. Absolutely unbeatable and i'm getting it requested every week nowadays.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin

Thanks heaps mate will give it a crack over the Xmas holidays. Much appreciated

• edited December 2016

No worries at all Jez. It looked like this last night when finished and spread on charcoal grilled pork neck.

satay2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 87K

• edited January 2017

If you look at the environment where I live you would say What the heck. If you look at the sea that surrounds our difficult environment you would say Holy heck. Since Christmas the score is 7 tuna 16 crayfish ( shared amongst 3 of us in partnership)2 beautiful eating gummy shark plus sundry fish. No snapper as yet as they are being elusive and the blue swimmer crabs are late ( I actually prefer crabs to cray ) but all is good. King George Whiting are also slower than usual but will get better.

How you going @jez - no more hooks embedded

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 98K
  • Invited this guy to dinner. According to experts, the deadliest shark in the world. Took this one out of the population probably before he was able to bite someone.

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K
  • jezjez
    edited January 2017

@GD50 Good thanks mate and you ? nope no more playing with hooks :)>- nice score mate but where's the real pic's lol

I've been out in my kayak squiding

3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 100K
  • Thawing bait?

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @jez. Roughly where do you go ? My daughter and hubby live at Hallett Cove, Adelaide, at the south corner, and do same and they catch some honkers like you got there. I must admit you got better squid than we have here or at least bigger and for others around the world the Calamari Squid is the premium. Most delicious but at the moment i wont use them for bait as the day before i got the two gummy shark we caught 12 stingrays as using squid and only two the next day, same patch, with no squid. Lucky i wanted the stingo flaps for bait to use in the cray pots.

@FloridaCracker nice catch. The shark I am talking about are small, say 5 to 6 foot, most delicious toothless shark that are prized in Australia in fish shops etc.

• edited January 2017

Just guessing but is it a bull shark FC?

We get them here a lot but they are definitely not our deadliest shark. The one in that pic was about 60-70 kg and 6' plus even though it doesn't look it. That's 50lb braid on the Stella and it took me back to the bottom 5 or 6 times. Bourbon Girl was definitely not keen on helping me cut it's head off and lifting it into the boat.

4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 121K

• edited January 2017

Results of Sunday's sausage day are in.

5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K

• jezjez
    edited January 2017

@kapea no mate just ready to be cleaned for eating.

@gd50 they were caught around the Brighton beach/seacliff area. I usually go around semaphore but the water is to murky at the moment. The small ones are used for bait but on that occasion the hoods were around 12/13" long so were for eating

@punkin nice work on the shark and the snag looks good also,what flavour?

• edited January 2017

Cocktail Sausage (PDF)

I'm trying to learn a tribute to one of my favourite sausages and i am on the right track;

Gotzinger Kransky Cheese 400g @ woolworths.com.au

First go and it will take some tweaking, but these are fucking good. 3 hours of pecan and oak smoke.

We used to take sharks up to 5-6' pretty regularly. Hammerheads, bull (whaler), Mako etc. They clean up really well and are boneless. Go great on the BBQ in seasoned flour, fried or in curries and stir fries cause the meat holds together so well. Just cut it up into paver sized bricks, vac seal and freeze.
    We'd cut the head and tail off outside the boat with a folding pruning saw while hanging on a pair of gaffs and drop the insides out before bringing them in the boat after i had a bad experience with a 5' hammerhead on a solo trip once. The bastard went apeshit when i brought him in the boat and thrashed the shit out of me and the boat with his tail. Last time one came in with the sharp bits on.

• @punkin . Stella eh! You like your fishing then. Whats with the 50 lb braid - you some sort of play it game fisherman. Go 80 and wind em in. I love my 20000FA and it is now a slightly older model. I did not mention the small hammerhead i also caught as it was small ( well actually perfect eating size ) and it came in and trashed the boat as well.

Been looking into sausage recipes also but have not made any yet - just starting to collect info for a bash at it. Got a smoker and the smoked tuna flaps are by far the best bit.

• edited January 2017

Yeah i have a lot of top end gear. I originally put 80lb on the Stella but the line capacity was not enough for me so took it off and went with the 50. It's only an 8000 reel. It sits on a custom rolled calstar jig stick nowadays.

Love the calstars, i have a 15kg game mackeral/marlin rod built up by Precision Rods as well.

Haven't used any of my gear for a while now. Sold the boat as my mates that like fishing over the coast moved away.

6.jpg
    800 x 600 - 96K
    7.jpg
    800 x 600 - 108K
    8.jpg
    800 x 600 - 122K
    9.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K

• I used to live over that way - where did you usually go out?

• edited January 2017

That shot is Wooli bar. We went there a lot, but i have launched at lots of places from 1770 down to the Central Coast. We fished out of South West Rocks for a few years before we started going to Wooli.

This 35lb Cobia was out of SWR with the stella.

Jeez, that was a while ago, i could still fit in a Reece shirt.... :)

10.jpg
    600 x 800 - 96K

• Know Wooli well as used to live behind Grafton at Blaxlands Creek ( on the Commonwealth Games White Water Canoe course). Yamba Red Rock Wooli Diggers Camp were my stomping grounds.

• Yeah Punkin, it was a bull. We don't get many Great Whites here in Fl because of the warm water. Caught this one on my snook/redfish rig that I got for Christmas. 15lb test braid. First fish on that rig so it was broken in right! Luckily at the last minute I put a wire leader on.

After he picked up the bait and started running, I set the hook and he flew completely out of the water. Great fight on the flats in water about 2' deep.

Awesome on the grill! Bled and gutted it within minutes of catching.

• edited January 2017

Yeah they are good to eat. Kids love shark too, real crowd pleaser. The flesh is kinda powdery in a good way than flakey so it holds up well for curries and fish tacos etc.

Still working on our 3rd xmas ham here, so Ham and Chicken rolls.
    I boned out some marylands pieces i had in the freezer, 2 marylands got me 6 fillets and made 6 rolls.

Bit of spicey plum sauce, some cardamon/star anise jasmine rice

11.jpg
    800 x 600 - 89K
    12.jpg
    800 x 600 - 99K
    13.jpg
    800 x 600 - 84K

• edited January 2017

Stuffed butternut squash

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 139K
  • edited January 2017

I found this sauce at the little Asian supermarket that's opened up here in town yesterday. There's not much english on the label but i can make out Black Bean and Chilli on the label and that's what it looked like (and tasted like) black beans preserved in a mild chilli oil.

I mixed a bunch with some Chinese BBQ Sauce that is a different one from the Char Sui i usually use (from the same shop, it's spicy and savoury rather than sweet) and marinaded some wingettes.
    I reckon these were the best chicken wings i have ever had.

beansauce1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 69K
    beansaucewings1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 95K

• Needs flat salty bread and then....

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• I've asked Taylor for a translation but i think he's ignoring me. I have a feeling it may be Sichuan in origin.

I did sprinkle them with sea salt and a squeeze of lemon, these are so good you could sell them.

• I recently saw an ad for an app that translates Japanese writing to English using your phone's camera. Maybe there is an app out there somewhere for translating Chinese as well.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• @punkin said: I've asked Taylor for a translation but i think he's ignoring me. I have a feeling it may be Sichuan in origin.

I did sprinkle them with sea salt and a squeeze of lemon, these are so good you could sell them.

Naw he is preoccupied. His parents are here for CNY.

Help me remember to include that question into our weekly "Chinese " lesson.

• edited January 2017

image.jpg
    800 x 800 - 43K

• edited January 2017

He'll tell me whenever he's finished doing whatever great big puppies that talk do.

Say hello to his mum and dad for me.

• edited January 2017

We went to dinner last night and today they are off to Disney World.

So that I don't drift too far off topic,,we fed them big slabs of tender beef.....