StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

New Stock Arrival

Comments

• @punkin Am I correct on that 500L boiler, that's an 8" column BUT with 2" copper tubing/piping ??

• Yes all our larger systems use 2 inch to carry vapour including the 12 inch columns.

Why do you ask?

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I ask because I saw some past diagrams of the 8" onion head BUT had a top connection for a 3" pipe. So a bit confused here because a 2" pipe was being used.

• If you order one with a 3,4,or even 10 inch one you can have it. The standard Australian model has a 2 inch as that seems to be the optimal size.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2016

The 4" pipe we have running on our 12" column is a bit silly, I have to admit.

Considered downsizing to 2" and repurposing the the few meters I have of the 4" into a smaller packed column. That said, the larger piping and larger flange area is very sturdy in comparison to anything we've done in 2" stainless, which gets very noodly.

• edited August 2016

Apologies to those waiting on stock of 2400 and 3600 watt elements. The manufacturer Rheem in New Zealand is closing their factory and going out of production.

Good news is that i have sourced elements from elsewhere with slightly better specs. They are solid stainless with ceramic blocks insulating the terminals in the same (longer/lower watt density in the case of the return on the 2400 watt) overall length package. So all stainless base deleting the brass bases from the old range and swapping the incolloy coating for 304 stainless.

Really nice looking pieces of gear. They should be in stock in about 3 weeks for the 2400 and 3600 and 6 weeks for the new 4800's. The shorter 4800's will be dropped and they will not be offered in lengths that fit keg or milk can boilers but will still be available in the pot belly boiler sizes.

Best news of all is that once again the quality of the product has improved and the pricing will go down. I'll know once shipping costs are in how much, but i think it will be significantly.

1.jpg
    800 x 800 - 38K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 102K

• wow very nice elements. have in 4500 and 5500 as well?

• been wanting these for a while now, look forward to ordering some

• No, at this stage 4800 watts will be the largest offering. I do have a 5500 in the shed somewhere from the samples, remind me with your next order and it's yours.

• Be All is being delivered to Tamworth today, i'm really looking forward to unpacking it. If anyone is keen to come for a visit and inspect then send me an email or give me a ring.

• Have an express shipment of 2" clamps and stock has been updated in store. Hopefully that will tide me over. Apologies to those who have been waiting.

• Ordered a 6 plate crystal extension to go on my 4 plate ss 5 inch unit the other day. Cant wait to put it together and give it a go. Says me who is working in a dry zone and havent had a drink in 3 months. Will have to sip gently to regain some resistance. Really just writing to say what a pleasure it is to deal with Punkin. Boxed up and sent in no time and excellent freight price to other end of OZ. Get a 5 inch spool for a packed section when they arrive and then have 10 plates and say 500 mm packed section. Should look the proverbial Ducks Nuts and work to boot.

• @GD50 said: Ordered a 6 plate crystal extension to go on my 4 plate ss 5 inch unit the other day. Cant wait to put it together and give it a go. Says me who is working in a dry zone and havent had a drink in 3 months. Will have to sip gently to regain some resistance. Really just writing to say what a pleasure it is to deal with Punkin. Boxed up and sent in no time and excellent freight price to other end of OZ. Get a 5 inch spool for a packed section when they arrive and then have 10 plates and say 500 mm packed section. Should look the proverbial Ducks Nuts and work to boot.

Don't forget to post pics

• edited September 2016

The first of the new elements arrived today and i have to say they are excellent. I wish i'd made the shift a while ago.

Not only are they entirely stainless, they are easier to wire. come with silicon seals and are extremely heavy duty.

Good news is that i'll be able to drop the prices across the range as well.

2400 Watt All Stainless Low Density Element @ StillDragon Australia

elementstainlesssmall1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 54K
    elementstainlesssmall2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 65K

• edited September 2016

man those are sexy. only wish I needed some right now!!

Are they ultra low watt density?

• Yes same as the old ones, the 2400's are lower density than before as the fold back is now full length.

• Do they give a number or just an arbitrary designation?
    W/mm² will be very easy to work out then there's no way to misinterpret.
    Whats the diameter and total length of the element?

• 1120mm x8mm. I had the 2400's down as 12 watts/cm and the 3600's down as 14/cm or 140w m/sq. But the new 2400's are longer as i say (both the same length now) and maths hurts my head.

• A=2πrl
    A=2 * 3.14 * 4 * 1120
    A=28134mm²

W/mm²=W/A
    W/mm²=2400/28134
    W/mm²=0.0853060354W/mm²
    * 10² for W/cm²=8.5W/cm²

Did I fuc that up?

• edited September 2016

@punkin said: ...and the 3600's down as 14/cm or 140w m/sq.

What did you mean with this one "140w m/sq"?

• 100? there's 1000 cm in a metre, it's squared. 14 * 100²=140000W/m²
      Sound high but the total area is less that 0.03 of a m²

I think that's right :-S

• @jacksonbrown said: What did you mean with this one "140w m/sq"?

100? there's 1000 cm in a metre, it's squared. 14 * 100²=140000W/m² Sound high but the total area is less that 0.03 of a m² I think that's right

I said maths hurt my head and i can't follow what your saying as when i try your sum for 3600 watt into the sdame length i get less watts per cm.

But fuck me it's the first time i've heard that there's 1000cm in a metre.

• I actually missed a zero in that :D,100cm * 100cm isn't a square metre? 100 * 100 = 10,000cm² to 1m² :-B
    Math certainly isn't my strong point either but pig headed stubbornness and google gets where I need to go usually.
    I'm really, really good at stupid mistakes like the one above.

• 140000W/m² * .028m² = 3920W
    That's kinda close, missus some rounding error?

• i think you have it 9 ways of fucked up. :))

We have some electrical engineers on here who will no doubt tell us we are both wrong.

• edited September 2016

Talking about watt density of immersion heaters is like arguing whether you would rather suck on a red hot poker or red hot charcoal. Ultra ultra super mega low is still absurdly hot.

:)

• ...but should I have passed year 10? :))

• edited September 2016

@jacksonbrown said: A=2πrl
    A=2 * 3.14 * 4 * 1120
    A=28134mm²

W/mm²=W/A
    W/mm²=2400/28134
    W/mm²=0.0853060354W/mm²
    * 10² for W/cm²=8.5W/cm²

Did I fuc that up?

That's what I get also, although I'll admit I did the mm-cm conversions in my head. so 2400/(.8)(pi)(112)=8.526 w/cm^2

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• Had an update from China, my order is ready to ship and should be leaving next week. That puts it in Australia in the middle of October, so all those that have been enquiring about Milk Cans should check the page around then. Apologies for the out of stock but the last lot sold much quicker than i had anticipated. I have doubled my order again now, we'll see how they hold out.

• edited September 2016

How about 5" extension spools? With this order?

And what you doing writing emails at 4.21 am?