StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• edited July 2015

As little as possible. It's a cold windy day today and a good chance of snow on the hills around.

Tamworth Weather @ Weatherzone

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Planted some more blue corn seeds so that I can hope to have enough homegrown blue this winter to run off a batch and fill up a used Balcones barrel.

first crop earlier this year

first crop above, second planting below

marking the rows..

total of 12 rows, almost 200 feet long, should be up in a few days an ready to dry up by Thanksgiving weekend.

Hope to run a straight all corn whiskey and barrel age it.

I had some more pics of the first harvest but I seem to have lost them..

Also, this whiskey run will be distilled thru the Dash-Frack, at 80ABV by collecting from a combination of plates 2 or 3, maybe 4 if need be.

Also, started turning over an old field in preparation to replant with peanuts as soon as I can.

1.jpg
    450 x 800 - 109K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 144K
    5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 120K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 90K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 80K
  • First planting,..more of a test to see if this variety of corn would do well in my area

6.jpg
    800 x 601 - 91K
  • That's cool. Did you get any bugs in the first planting?

• I recognized the sandy soil and cabbage palms.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Didn't reckon the night time temps would be favorable. God speed.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Very few bugs on first one @FloridaCracker, this variety seems to be pretty hardy, however I did dust with seven once when pollinating.

No place like Florida, @Kapea :D.

So far it seems like it is going to be a great variety for my climate. I t does have some downfalls such as lower yields and a tendency to sprout side shoots, but I can live with that and it does not need any where near as much water as others such as silver queen.

Not sure I would use it for eating fresh as it is not as sweet, but sure would make some blue tortillas :))

• edited August 2015

After a week of 16 hour work days, I'm spending all day Saturday in my brand new recliner, in front of the big screen. A Giants game in the can, and a live one coming on later this afternoon. A corney keg of homebrewed Munich helles (dry hopped with Hallertauer Hersbrucker) on tap at my elbow and a batch of homemade soft pretzels... Life's good!

• Sounds good. I'm taking Bourbon Girl out for a cruise in the Rampy into the hills for Sunday Lunch at a small pub. Quite looking forward to it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yehaww capt the farmer, arnt you meant to have a piece of straw hangin out ya mouth? :)) . Nice job mate, looking good!, alot of work to make piss lol, but I bet it's satisfying :-)

• Hand pitted 25 lbs cherries

Rough filtering the toasted coconut of black strap rum after soaking for 6 weeks... Smell is amazing

• Just stripped 2 runs of neutral. 2 more tomorrow then I must remember the sodium carbonate this time.

• edited August 2015

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 104K
  • Big night last night?

• 100% cherry wine. It foams up whenever I'm punching the cap down and releases an awesome smell...

• These are the ones you pitted? Why not ferment with the stones in?

• Made my first vapour infused gin last night. It was delicious from beginning to end. I'm looking forward to tasting it again tonight to see how it's settled. Tonight I'll do another couple of recipes with the intention of bowling over 2 trials per night. Got the 2L glass lab still working overtime.

• After pitting they were blended. Too much cracked pits can get poisonous when distilled - at least that's what my books are telling men and I'm not planning on finding out with my first cherry run.

• edited August 2015

Here's the before

2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 85K
  • edited August 2015

@TheMechWarrior +1

I'm still pondering on getting a small vapor infusion still. So many shiny little toys

• @Unsensibel said: After pitting they were blended. Too much cracked pits can get poisonous when distilled - at least that's what my books are telling men and I'm not planning on finding out with my first cherry run.

True, they got cyanide in them like all stone fruit (and almonds).
    Tastes like marzipan. It's pretty normal in Europe.

• @TheMechWarrior said: Made my first vapour infused gin last night. It was delicious from beginning to end. I'm looking forward to tasting it again tonight to see how it's settled. Tonight I'll do another couple of recipes with the intention of bowling over 2 trials per night. Got the 2L glass lab still working overtime.

You're gonna love it when it's had a couple of weeks for all the flavors to get to know each other. Even more after a month.

I've found that experimenting with infused gin botanicals is very much like experimenting with late hop additions and dry hopping beer.

I hope you've got a strong liver. Nightly tastings can wear you down. Lots of little sips add up.

• My liver has been in training for many decades...just for such an occasion =P~

• edited August 2015

The answer to a question no one asked.

Behold, The Reflux Meter.

Hopefully it has something more to say once all the instruments are plugged in.

IMG_0786.JPG
    800 x 600 - 106K
  • I had an operation to fix the reflux problem, no problem ;)

• @TheMechWarrior said: I had an operation to fix the reflux problem, no problem ;)

I take pills at night

• I respect any device that indicates an error condition with the word, "FAIL" in capital letters.

• I stopped eating icecream near bedtime and reflux went away.

• New housing looks great mate. Looking forward to the results.

• @grim said: I respect any device that indicates an error condition with the word, "FAIL" in capital letters.

Only superseded by "Keep Calm"