StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• Got something in my eye spent the day in a helicopter and now waiting for a doctor at the hospital

• I hate that, it's so invasive when they start plucking bits of metal out of your eyeball. It least it hasn't had a chance to rust.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Yeah bit of a bugger a real pain actually as I was enjoying my work so much Wearing full Ppe too I think it fell in while watching TV Rubbing my head flocking rust into my eye !!

• Over forty chinglish emails and counting. My head hurts and I'm getting pretty thirsty.

• @CothermanDistilling said: Doing a few cucumber extractions today

Every time I see that glass setup I think of how much happier you would be with a GB4.
    (drip, drip, drip back into the boiler to scorch)

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited September 2015

@CothermanDistilling I'm not familiar with glass but I would like a small experimental kit the sam as yours have you got a parts list as I don't know the names for all the glass pieces? And how many KW is the IH plate

• Pics of my weekend in the shed.
    Saturday was spent building stuff and cleaning, Sunday was spent making whisky wort.

The tank before I wrapped it:

I needed to build a sparge arm:

I needed to insulate the mash/lauter tank:

Testing the fully assembled water delivery and sparge mechanism:

~600L of malty goodness now ready for a rest:

A sample of the wort, looks like my lauter screen works like a charm:

1.jpg
    440 x 800 - 31K
    2.jpg
    440 x 800 - 50K
    3.jpg
    440 x 800 - 65K
    4.jpg
    800 x 450 - 35K
    5.jpg
    440 x 800 - 48K
    6.jpg
    600 x 800 - 27K
  • Looks clean as a whistle...

• Looks fantastic.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @Kapea said: Every time I see that glass setup I think of how much happier you would be with a GB4. (drip, drip, drip back into the boiler to scorch)

I have owned a GB4 for several years, I bought one when they first came out..... What I don't have is a 2L stainless boiler that works with 1L of spirit that mimics a large run (starts out at 30-50% and ends up at near zero in the boiler...)

If I were to just throw a liter of spirit into a larger boiler with enough water to cover the elements, the profile of the run would NOT be the same, I would never have high proof in the beginning of the run... If I just took a liter off of a larger amount of high proof, I would not get the late elements that come out when the vapor is more water than alcohol.

Finally, there are many, many gins that have the botanicals in the boiler or the carter head over the boiler. the key to the GB being offset is more to keep the boiler uncontaminated in our modular systems that are used for many products......

• I forgot you use electrons.

In my propane-fired half barrel sanke keg bolier I put 650mL of 3x azeotrope and 2500mL of filtered rainwater to make a 20% (40 proof) boiler charge. It runs through my gin basket to make 1100mL of 110 proof gin. I usually get around 150mL of hydrosol when I drain the gin basket,

I get all of the volatiles and high proof up front and all of the desirable vegetals and low proof in the back end . All that mixed together makes just over a liter of most highly excellent gin.

I used to dilute it down to 90 proof, but it tastes "muted' and flat that way. It is way mo bettah uncut at 110 proof!

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• Exiting times Mech. Spent grain removal = hard work or have you got a trick?

• I've got a trick! The father-in-law wants the grain for his cows so he comes round and scoops it out!

In all seriousness I'm having a side hatch installed, I just didn't want to wait.

• My long term plans are to turn spent grain into salami.

• Been toying around with Photoshop and put together a few labels. Never have used it before and that's why the labels are fairly simple. Here's my first;

shadow chick2.jpg
    565 x 800 - 43K
  • Was the innuendo on purpose?

• Made me think of the old Dire Straits song, Fade to Black.

I wonder where you are tonight You're probably on the rampage somewhere You have been known to take delight In gettin' in somebody's hair And you always had the knack Fade to black

I bet you already made a pass I see a darkened room somewhere You run your finger round the rim of his glass Run your fingers through his hair They scratch across his back Fade to black

Well maybe it's all for the best But I wish I'd never been lassooed Maybe it's some kind of test I wish I'd never been tattooed Or been to hell and back Fade to black

• I know that you pro guys have labels but how about the rest of you? Michael, maybe I should have started the "Show us your labels" thread.

• I reek of solder flux.

• I found 5 gallons of single malt whiskey, dated 2010. It must have been one of my first whiskey runs

• That's like finding a few $100 bills in the pocket of a jacket... How the hell do you misplace 5 gallons of single malt?

• I guess back then it was the first corny keg on the shelf, now it is the last and hardest one to get to.

• 15hrs of stripping runs

• How much did you strip in 15?

• Still going mate. Just finishing the second strip of the day now. Onto the 3rd and last 5hr, should be in bed before 3am.

My still is only 100L...I did a 600L ferment. Tomorrow will be another long day doing a spirit run.

I need a bigger still ASAP.

• How fast can you strip? From memory you've got a 6 inch?

• Sunset on new vodka toys

20150919_183941.jpg
    600 x 800 - 86K