StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• edited March 2014

No brew day for me. Fired up the rims and the element shit itself after 5 min. Next brew day scheduled in 6 weeks time. Note to self... buy 3 of everything so I won't be disappointed :)

cunny.jpg
    800 x 450 - 65K
  • I will vacuum the floor now. At least the vacuum works

• It might be broken CF but damn it looks good.

• edited March 2014

I seem to just break stuff Lloyd. I'm the type of guy that will borrow your new drill and it will break the first hole I drill something. I'm going to do a run tomorrow to dial in Od's controller. Distilling side. I will video it. I bet I break something guaranteed :)

• I could break it if I could find it but its hiding in the clutter and the last time I saw it was before the move.

Trying to wire up a 6000 watt element now. 6000 / 250 volts = 24 amps. The only electrical ends that I can find are 10A and 16A. Ain't nothing ever simple anymore?

• What happened to your element CF? One of punkins ones?

• Yes a SD element. It just stopped mate. No smoke or fire lol. I assume it is the element. It doesnt work running through a SSR or without. Other SD elements run fine plugged into the same SSR. The others I have are a little long for the rims tube though.

• Can it be there is no liquid in part of the tube the way you have it monted mate? I just haven't seen one vertical before and i was wondering if that could happen? If so the element will burn out i think.

If it's a faulty element we'll work something out (can't warrant electricals but it is you).

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited March 2014

Well it could be.. I primed that tube before I connected the outflow hose (top) so it there is any air space it would e 3/4 inch and was thinking it would suck that little air pocket out.

I have seen a few mounted vertically but most horizontally. Maybe that is the trick. I will change it.

I will order a couple more. Got a few other little things to get from you.

I wasn't happy with the Ss quick connects I got from another brew shop as well so will change them. They leaked. I don't think they would have lasted the brew.

• I hope when you do your distilling that you have the valve in the horizontal position with the electromagnet at the top, otherwise if you get a coolant leak on the joints it will run down into the electronics.

• Are you saying I'm a shit plumber Od!? ** gets the drill out again to reconfigure EVERYTHING horizontally** ;)

• edited March 2014

No cunnyfunt, not saying that at all, just adviseing on the side of safety

• I will take that awesome advise on board and change it.

• Had a go at running UJSM wash plus feints in the CD4. Gave up after a few hours and i'm now stripping it. I can get excellent flavour and i can get a reasonable output rate. Just not at the same time. ~X(

Back to strip and spirit runs for me.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited May 2014

Attempting a biab recirulating rims olddog controlled SD 120l boiler peated whisky wash this afternoon. :)

DSC_0076.JPG
    800 x 450 - 57K
  • Nice.

• You look like one of those organized people.

• edited May 2014

i cleaned up for 3 hours before that pic. The mess was behind me when I took it lol

• I did a malted barley mash last week using my controller to manage temps. It maintained a constant 66 degrees for the 90minutes mash time.

• edited May 2014

Funnily, mine is doing the same:) Were you happy with what you got into the fermenter OD?

• Its still going strong after 4 days, can't wait to distill it and taste.

• edited May 2014

Table mounted my product condenser today, also put a pipe hanger and attached the top to the wall. Ordered a sample of 2" flexible SS hose with TC ends so when the configurition changes it will be much easier than piecing together pipes to get the right length from the column to the product condenser.

My table mt condenser (1).JPG
    600 x 800 - 64K
    My table mt condenser (2).JPG
    600 x 800 - 67K
  • Ordered the flexible 2" TC hose 1 meter long and that length seems appropriate.

I'm loving the fixed and over-sized 4" table mounted product condenser as it is now part of my automated controller system and keeps the weight off of the column.

• Think back 5 or 6 years Lloyd.Could you have imagined your outfit could be as slick as that?! Just a sweet system.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited May 2014

Thanks @Smaug, it's always a work in progress.
    The more I distill, the more I drink. The more I drink the more I think about how to improve my still which leads to more distilling and more drinking......

5 years ago? I was using a keg and 2" pot still head.
    3 years ago? I was using a small reflux still that I built and used in my tiny apartment here in China. Even then it was modular :)

Note the artistic use of a clothes hanger to keep the system from falling over.

my first still in china.JPG
    800 x 600 - 67K
  • edited July 2014

Sausage day for me today. A true sausage fest.

Got a couple mates coming over and we are going to run 30kg of pork and some beef through the mincers. I'll be giving my new stuffer a run, hopefully it's all it looks to be. The alternative of running it all through my Spong # 8 hand mincer with stuffing attachment is a little daunting.

I'll take some photo's through the day, but with a 50l keg of 7.5% stout between the three of us i can't promise any photos after lunch %-(

• HAHAHA, "Sausage fest" Sound like you are having a Lemon Party!

• edited July 2014

We did

• Pork, Apple and Bourbon
    • Pork and Fennel
    • Cumberland Pork
    • Cheese Kransky (to be smoked)
    • Kabanossi (to be smoked)
    • Italian Chilli
    • Chorizo (to be smoked)

35 kilos all up :)>-

sausageday1.1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 109K
    sausageday1.5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 86K
    sausageday1.10.jpg
    800 x 600 - 72K

• Wow. That is awesome.

• the lady & the kids are super excited to be taking part!!!

top effort