StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• How did your run turn out @punkin ?

• I got some nice hearts, but i'm still trying to learn to drive the Cd. Problem is i only do one or maybe two runs a year, so just not enough time playing with it.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Same here, as far as learning how to drive..the ProCap CD that I just started playing with is a whole new ball park! :-?

• Just mashed in an Centarillo APA by Malted on Adelaide brew. My two favourite US hops in my Favourite style...

Woot.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Doing a BIAB single malt white wheat (DP 160 Briess, 31 ppg), 50# in 20 gals. Broke my frigging wash hydro, so I am relying on a very inaccurate refractometer. At 1.055 ATM after 160F mash in, cool to 140F and hold 2 hrs. Cooling down now and at 100F ATM. Will be pitching EC-1118 once down to 90F. Hello Mr. @Smaug , need couple hydros! and some 3/8" push connect fittings that I forgot to add to my last order. Duh!. I will place the order first thing Monday am. Have a good weekend.

• Hope it turns out since I have no SG!!!

prepping tha yeast bomb

time to pitch it in

I am keeping my fingers crossed since I am doing all this without knowing what the SG is but I should get a good 1.080 :-?

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 38K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 47K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 45K
  • Definitely need a like button @moonshine Looks the goods captn

• I'm sure it tastes real sweet biab looks like I nice easy way to extract the sugar How big is your pot and how did you lift her out of the pot?

• The yeast seems to be happy

@cooperville hey coops 55 gallon stainless boiler, 2 x 25 lb bags of double groung wheat thru my Millards mill. It sure was sticky on my hands after handling the bags so it should hit a pretty good SG. I hope :\">

4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 63K
  • I have a couple of ropes and pulleys hanging from the ceeling which help support stuff like the "bean stalk" and pull BIAB bags out of the boiler. :D

• The SWMBO said my BIAB bags look like a big ole butt =))

5.jpg
    800 x 600 - 40K
  • Today was our first bias..went quite well..guess we will really know in two weeks how it went. Trying to find a beer that son in law will like...thinks bud light is good...Yeah, my works cut out for me....but at least, I get to drink those he doesn't like.

• Not bias...biab. Damned autonomously.

• @cunnyfunt said: Definitely need a like button moonshine

Me likey too :) It's on the to-do list, it just didn't receive that much high of a priority.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• made me a little creates bright ale clone today. Only my 2nd AG, didn't quite hit the numbers but happy enough :D

• edited August 2014

Lazy Sunday afternoon, slow neutral run, with another member who dropped in to the admire the SD gear and see how the 4" dash, 5 plate + packed section actually worked.

Oh yea and taste test products ranging from lollies drinks to my whisky rye knock-off and mostly a sugar grain bourbon clone. Complete with domino tasting, not the wood but the drink!

Not a bad day at all, plus I produced at least 12 lt of good 95-96% hearts.

fadge

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 84K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 48K
  • They just get easier to use all the time

• @fadge you always have the best feel-good posts.
    The dotted azeotrope line on the alcoholmeter, a dozen liters of hearts produced with a friend... nice.

• Not only did I break my beer Hydro yesterday, but I also managed to break a triple scale SD Hydro today. ~X( 2 years without a mishap and now 2 in 2 days!! :-B X(

• Great stuff Fadge, was that our tyro mate?

Thanks for that if so and good to see you hit it off.

• I'm going on about 2 years too @captainshooch without a mishap. Hope I don't jinx it by saying that.

• edited August 2014

Mmm Mmmm. Spirit run today of Doctor Cooperville. Smells peaty devine

cunnyfunts_spirit_run.jpg
    800 x 450 - 55K
  • From my experience less peat is better but it should smoothe over time looks like a great set up I notice the thermowell going into the dephlag ... Any comments? Where did you source your peat from ? What's the Aging plan? Does your missus make you pack it all up after so she can park her car?!!!!!

• Thanks coops.. I like the peat but I was a little worried about it being too much. I seems like it is the perfect balance coming off the still. It's there but not too strong. I used 1/3 peated wheat from the lhbs.

This lot is going on domino's to get a early idea of the profile I am after. Then I'm thinking barrels for future batches I got going. Don't really know. It's all a learning curve.

It's the first time with the thermowell in the dephlag for me. Again a learning curve. Definitely more stable using Od's controller

Lol. Mrs cf has not parked in the garage for the last 6 years. She is a goodin. Doesn't complain much. I'm saving for a kickass shed to go down on our block. Not too much down the track and she will get it back:)

• How do you age it? @cooperville Still got any of that original peat reek from the vid you did?

• Nah I don't mate as we had to move country but i did send @Lloyd a bottle which i doubt he would have finished ? I thought the peat reek flavour came across too strong in the beginning but I would think over time it should mellow . Next time I do it i will be using a lot less, it came over quite well using three plates. The original instructions were to add a drop or two to the finished product not add it to the boiler for the complete run this could be wise as you can the. Regular how much peat reek your taste desires

• Those 45deg 2" fittings are great aren't they!?

• edited September 2014

A friend brought me some grapes today.

The Sg was 1108, which is a bit high for wine. But I can always distill for brandy, if the wine is not good enough. :)

grapes.jpg
    600 x 800 - 77K
  • daddad
    edited September 2014

20lbs of steamed oats in 12 gallons of 200F water, stirred for 10 minutes

Stirring after high temp enzyme

12 hours after pitching DADY

SG 1.06 FG 1.0 only nine gallons racked off and a 12 gallon sugar head started on trub

Porage.jpg
    800 x 452 - 58K
    Soup.jpg
    800 x 452 - 43K
    Pitched.jpg
    800 x 452 - 53K

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Excellent. Have you done oats before?

I dug an old oats and enzyme bottle out on the weekend for a couple of distillers to try. They thought it good.