StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• edited June 2013

Over the weekend i spent a enjoyable few hours in what is the current mess in the shed. It's a mess as I'm preparing a pile of 3600mm x 250mm x 25mm coachwood boards to make a new bed (you can see some in pic 1). Anyway, I finally put all the bits I've been gathering together to make a steam generator.

I used a SD 4"-2" adaptor with a 2" end cap drilled & tapped to mount on my existing 6kW keg boiler. I chose a 3 way ball valve so it can't be closed off & a genuine steam PRV (not cheap but worth it IMHO). There are 2 union fittings so I can adjust the height for different pots. the 3/4" copper is lagged to stop heat loss & ensure I don't accidentally burn myself by touching hot pipes. The ring was made from 1/2" annealed copper & has a heap of 3mm holes drilled in the underside.

Haven't the time to run it yet, but am getting some corn next week :D I intend to test it on some water first to clean it.

image image

steam generator 1.jpg
    450 x 600 - 59K
    steam generator 2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 99K
  • I looked at the mess in my shed today, but I redeemed myself by remembering a clean workshop is an idle workshop. I think a few of us can use this excuse.

• Party at RDD's place jeez....

• Today I mounted and wired in my new controller I bought from @BigPa. It is a nice unit. Now I can control my power input from 0 - 44,000 watts... Also ran a strip run of 260gallons of 5% wash.

image image image

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 59K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 55K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 29K
  • Looks really good there mate.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Got 2 loads of wood into the woodshed this weekend. I'm thinking it should get us to next year, the wife is thinking I'll have that all done and burnt in 3 weeks. So I'm taking a sneak-a-peek tasting of some not so old all grain Bourbon. Not sure if I like it, so I'm having another glass. Might have to have another after that to decide :-?

• Still Fire. I got distracted in anther room surfing the Internet while pot stilling in the shed. Went down to the shed and saw the 2 litre container over flowing and at least another 2 litres on 60% on the floor. My still is gas fired. I grabbed the overflowing bottle and shut off the gas ~ had etho all over my pants. Then the fire . . . a shallow wall of flame quickly spread across the wooden floor. Just outside the shed is a powder-type fire extinguisher ~ ripped the saftey ring out and blasted away. It was the first time in my life I've ever used a fire extinguisher ~ got the flame out just as it started to crawl up the wall.

phew!

Went back to stilling 15 mins later . . . . that'll teach me.

• Brown, I'd guess.

• But you kept your head and thats what saved you.... good for you sir...

on a second note i have always kept my catch containers in a 5 gallon bucket just to be on the safe side be it a puke or whatever has worked for me... never needed it but it is there

• @luckyliqueur said: Still Fire. I got distracted in anther room surfing the Internet while pot stilling in the shed. Went down to the shed and saw the 2 litre container over flowing and at least another 2 litres on 60% on the floor. My still is gas fired. I grabbed the overflowing bottle and shut off the gas ~ had etho all over my pants. Then the fire . . . a shallow wall of flame quickly spread across the wooden floor. Just outside the shed is a powder-type fire extinguisher ~ ripped the saftey ring out and blasted away. It was the first time in my life I've ever used a fire extinguisher ~ got the flame out just as it started to crawl up the wall.

phew!

Went back to stilling 15 mins later . . . . that'll teach me.

Hum, just another day in the shed. Anything interesting happen?

• Yes FS; I usually have a larger overflow catcher whenever I'm not going straight into a keg . . . . I'm "in transition" to changing the layout of my rig and have been improvising.

You'll note that as an Aussie, I _rescued _the bottle of product first - turned off the gas second.

• @luckyliqueur, glad you are fine, things can go south quickly especially with open fire involved. A good example for how important it is to have a fire extinguisher in reach.

Always keep in mind: SAFETY FIRST

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Brown undies can be fixed. Burned undies not so much. Glad it turned out to be only a minor clean up job.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Today in the shed, I actually received my 10x12 shed today. It will be dedicated to this adventure. It will be wired with its on 100 amp panel running water with tankless hot water.I have it setup in the shop now but want it where i can keep eyes off it.

• edited August 2013

SD fairy arrived today with some 6" plates =D>
    Those 4" sight glasses are a nice bit of kit too.
    So have to get my shit together with this build now.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 105K
  • Brewing an American Wheat beer today, nice and moderately hoppy with a pilsener and wheat base.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• You do know that Beer is not for drinking.... It is for making whiskey.... Just leave out the Hops... :D

• can't drink whiskey. it burns me.

• see..

burns2.jpg
    600 x 450 - 85K

• OUCH...................punkin. How the hell did you do that?

• He did it for me...

First we boil em down a bit in beer. Then we throw em on the grill for some marks. Top with some spicy deli mustard on a fresh roll and,,,,,,that's some good eats!

• Yum... Beer boiled and grilled finger brats with spicy mustard....

• Makes the hair stand on the back of my neck every time I see that pic,,,,,,,and makes me hungry.....

• At least he can still type... ;)

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Too much Apple Pie round the campfire. Hence the StickToYourBeerPunkin rule.

• edited August 2013

Should I take offence to that???? Damn it, I don't feel loved.

• Today I drilled out 2x 4" Endcaps so that I could weld on 1/2npt connections. These will be the end caps of my Carbon Filter. It is 5' tall made out of 4" pipe. Has 2 of Lloyd's new filter disc to keep the Carbon in place and will have a chamber at the top to hold filter paper to catch the fine carbon particles.

The end caps are over 8mm thick so drilling a 7/8 hole in them was a real slow and painful process.

I am finally getting a lot better at Stainless Tig Welding. My old welds never looked this good.

image image image

1.jpg
    306 x 408 - 16K
    2.jpg
    306 x 408 - 18K
    3.jpg
    306 x 408 - 22K
  • That's the thickest 4" end cap that I've ever seen.
    I order the thin ones when I can remember to do it because we simply don't real in those kinds of pressures.

Your welds really are looking good.

• That looks excellent. For those who want to do the same thing without drilling and welding it canbe acheived with a 4 x 2 reducer and a Rims cap.