StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Today in the Shed

Comments

• law of ohms- the boner tells the story behind the avatar, I think I get it now

• edited May 2013

@hackdaniels said: Ran 60 liters of canned peach wash and boy did it smell good dliuted to 50% and put fresh peaches in quart jars and filled them up with peach shine, in about a week I will have some yummy peaches and vanilla ice cream

Hack, that would be good to put in the recipe section. Give a step-by-step please. I'm sure others are interested too.

Edited because I forgot to give Hack his quote :\">

• I know, there's something special about the flavor of peaches. Especially if not too sweet.

• Ran the first of my Panela runs,good rum flavor,Wife loved it has had 2 drinks so far and it has not sat or been cut down from 87 abv. Also finished my fruit nukins with blueberries,not much on fruity drinks but this is very good,I only used 1/2 the sugar FS posted and it works for me,dont want to get drunk on it but good for sippin! What else ya have hiding up those sleeves FS ?

It is what you make it!

• Informed it was WV_cooker's doings on the Fruit nukins They are drinking it up fast have to make more and damn quick!

It is what you make it!

• Man Hack that sounds awesome!!!!!!!!!!!

• If that boiler is going to be horizontal then it would not be too hard to fit a copper burner tube. Harry posted this diagram some time ago, hope he doesn't mind me reproducing it here. image

Harry's Scotch Boiler.png
    800 x 670 - 17K
  • If you didn't have to move the boiler around, what about encasing it in firebricks and refractory cement. Depending how you designed the "shroud", for all intents and purposes it could look like a brick bench. (that might be the go for LoO's monster as well)

• Or put a fire box underneath it a square kinda ss firebox with heater jets and vents in one end.. and exhaust/stack out the other...

Since LOO is the mega lottery winner fuel cost is no object for him ! BUT I know this would reduce heating costs and speed heat up.. in a big way... firebox made or firebricks and refractory cement lower operating cost than this even...

• Cut my first 124oz/3.6l of 88% abv of Panela Rum down to 50% abv,I would have to say,even freshly cut it has a very good taste,I will let it set for about a month(white)and then start partaking in some of what I precive to be a very good drink. Thanks for the tips and recipes that have been posted! :-c

It is what you make it!

• Just checked my first all grain bourbon sugar bump (sour mash I guess you might call it). Dissapointed, got a mild infection, and still some feint action, so I'm not sure if its done enough. I don't even want to dip my finger in it it for a taste looks so disguting, and it smells a little.

Not sure weather to waste the effort racking and running it. First time mucking around with allgrain, well second I guess, just trying to reclaim some flavor in the grain with the sugar bump.

• Dont give up EG I will endevour to start all grain soon enough cant wait really but it is still daunting reading how everyone else has troubles with it

• Thanks Coops I think I know my mistake, but its turned to getting the most out of whats left. I added too much yeast looking back, and I didn't leave enough head room. I got a good strike and a mess on the shed floor the next morning. Mess consisted of mostly malt, so I lost a lot of the malt contained enzymes, the ferment slowed, I kept pulling the lid off to check it, got a mild infection so I ran the main batch prematurley. According to yeild, it fermented out to only 5%abv, but it tastes 3 months older than my UJ does out of the still and very yumm. Figuring there was more flavor left, the cheapskate in me thought I'd still get some more out of the grain. Added sugar and more malt, but the infection has carried on. I reasoned if I could get the ferment to fire up hard, might kill the infection off, but it didn't happen. shows how much I have to learn. I should have listened to the voice saying "you messed up, ditch it and start again"

I think I'll run it, just to find out if its a waste of time. I'll know for next time I hope.

Don't let it put you off Coops. The results from a stuff up are still nice, IMO.

• i have attempted to do a piggy back run after making a beer i added half of the grain to each 30 ltr fermentor then added 5 kilos/11lbs of sugar but it never really did its things as it was far to cold at the time to ferment i ended out ditching it I have plenty of sugar head spirits so will be trying to run a all grain batch soon but wont be any time before august

no time in my days to do a thing lately

• Racked a coppers lager, added 4.5kg white sugar to a failed lager brew (don't ask) with 90g bakers.yeast. Will see what happens lol.

• @googe said: ... a failed lager brew...

What happened? :-j

• Went to get a 40 to 25 reducer and they are all gone, had a dozen there and have not used one of them, also noticed a fair few 2 inch to 1 inch reducers are missing as well as a few tube bushes plus god knows what else. I have a lot of people over, obviously someone has gone home with full pockets, they could have at least left me a couple of the 40 to 32s and not have taken the lot. Not a happy camper........

• Sounds a bit like Smaug and Punkin raiding my stores. They show no mercy!

I tried to bitch but they only told me to shut up, how to deal?

• That's no good spud. It's a lousy feeling to know someone stole off you. let alone someone you trusted to invite into your house. X(

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Well if only one of em is building a still... or two of em even should be an easy figure at some point then .....

• That sucks to be ripped off but by someone ya trust,sorry to hear that spudd!

It is what you make it!

• I can't believe someone would do that to a fellow stiller. Scumbags!

• edited June 2013

@Lloyd said: What happened? :-j

Welllll lol, hadn't put a beer down for about a year due to distilling obsession. I usually use 1kg light dry malt and 500~750g dextrose, finished the brew and bottled it. Month or more later I thought hmm beer time, chilled a few and cracked the lid, flat as a pancake! Wtf, next few had a bit more gas but just looked and tasted crap. So thought oh we'll stuffed that one up some.how. Put another brew down, same.deal again, wtf is going on!!. So third time i chucked the LDM in, lager tin, hot water then cold ect ect pitched yeast, I'm standing there stiring it thinking this doesn't seem right?. That night in bed I had a big brain wave, you didn't put dextrose in idiot!! Lol.

• That sucks spud, bunch of scum

• Finally got my act together and ordered parts for my boiler stand today =D>

• Real life had put a hold on stillin for a while but this weekend I finally got around to stripping 40 gallons of TPW that's been sitting in the fermenters for almost 2 months. Glad to have that out of the way :)

• edited June 2013

Spent the weekend cleaning out the other half of the garrage that wasn't devoted to shelving and installing new shelving in anticipation of next weeks order. I have 8 cubic metres of stock coming and now have some extra room to put it. Cleaned out a neighbours shed and moved my boat from this space to his shed (he loves rum) and put this double sided shelving up. Pity i couldn't use the 4th bay, but there is a fair bit of room for most of my items between this side of the shelving and the existing shelving on the other side of the shed.

The other side of this shelf holds crates of extra ferrulles, clamps, condensors ect that are used for restocking this side.

I think i need one more huge order to get to the stage that i am no longer running out of any stock after this one. Things like bubbletees and torpedos sell out nearly as soon as i get them.

image image

newshelves1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 120K
    newshelves2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 122K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• I wish my shelves looked that organised lol

• Wuuuuutt are you doing with all of my stuff? No wonder I'm out of stuff! Punkin has it all!! :((

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America