StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

MOCS 4 Inch Crystal Modified BOK Build

124»

Comments

• Mocs could make a pound of copper spp and drop it on top... Icing on the cake so to speak... :D

AND I like Cake!

• Wow talk about peer pressure. :ar! So evidently you two @cunnyfunt & @captainshooch missed this post in the thread where I said;

@Manofconstantsorrow said: SPOILER ALERT, I should forewarn everyone I found out I have to leave for my last assignment of the year next Tuesday till the end of November, so if it sounds like I am thinking outside of the box it's because me and the misses had a few tonight.

Just joshing you two, so as much as I want to (and believe me when I say I want to) it not going to happen until December. :((

I know you're all saying WTF, what a wanker / c_ _ k tease, but like it or not until I take the plunge and get my license I need to keep adding to the distillery fund, which is why I built this prototype in the first place. I figure from here I can scale up and use this equipment for working on recipes, ETC. if and when I choose to take the plunge.

My apologies for not being able to firer her up right away but believe me there's no one sadder about it then me. I can't wait to give Oden's iStill Vision a run for its money, so this is like getting all dressed up for the Prom only to have your date stand you up. (Besides I think my girl is a lot sexier then Oden's)

I have a laundry list of things I learned while setting her and tearing her down and stowing her away that I will write about it 2 days time, but for tonight and till I leave I best be looking after the #1 love in my life the misses or there won't be a shed to come back to if you catch my drift.

And thanks @Sadi for the like.

MOCS

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• MOCS we are messing with you. Go ahead and keep us hanging, we now wife and work comes first, but damn I wanna see her running! Rome was not built in 1 day. Good work. Look forward to your next update. :-bd and have a safe work trip

• @FullySilenced said: Mocs could make a pound of copper spp and drop it on top... Icing on the cake so to speak... :D

AND I like Cake!

So is that all it would take is just a pound to handle the sulfides? If so I'll start looking it up .030 bare copper wire tomorrow. Also if anyone has interest I could see if @Moonshine can help me out in posting a couple vid's of the SPP machine in action as I am youtube illiterate.

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• Odin said it (copper spp) deformed when stacked in a tall column but as a topping ... even it was made into a double layered pancake coil... so you could easily remove and clean it :D

• MOCS I saw where you said most of the nuke plant guys can't wait to retire so they can sit down and burn one or 2. I am with you. Wish our retirement dates would coincide. I would come over and sit down in the garage with ya and watch that sweet baby of yours do it's thing while we tell ole uncle sam to kiss our ass he he he

• Wow MOCS that is truly beautiful, congratulations ! Can I just ask how thick the glass is in the column?

• @Manofconstantsorrow said: Also if anyone has interest I could see if Moonshine can help me out in posting a couple vid's of the SPP machine in action as I am youtube illiterate.

Sure, we just have to find a way for you to make the raw video footage available to me. Do you use any file hosting service, like Mediafire or the likes? Drop me a PM once you have the videos ready and we'll find a solution to properly publish them in the StillDragon Community YouTube Channel.

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• I know a lot of the big boys put sacraficial copper at the top of the column. BUT it is sacraficial and it will degraded and fall intoyour SPP.

To me this has always been illogical. The obvious place is between the boiler and the column in its own section, independent from the packing.

Is that an option for you MOCS?

• Hopefully you would clean the copper and replace it before it would fall apart....it's not like you won't be able to see it. Compared to a conventional column.

• I would think higher up on the apparatus would serve best? Let the actual distillation cycles do the lion's share of percived clean up.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited October 2014

You need to break things up a bit, especially the textural look of the column, the feng shui is off. You need some more strong vertical elements for balance.

I suggest a "catalyzer" approach, below the SPP, above the boiler.

4" glass section, about 12" high. Get some thin wall copper hvac tubing, straight, 1/16" - the tiny stuff, cut enough 12" sections to pack 4" glass section full of "straws" (you'll be cutting for a long time).

You'll add an absolutely massive amount of copper surface area. Not sure what the ID of your glass is, but if it's anywhere near 3.75, you'll be able to fit in 2800 1/16th tubes. Each tube will have 3.66 square inches of surface area (inside and out), for a total of 10,248 total square inches of copper surface area, an amazing 71 square feet of copper surface (about 70 feet of 4" diameter copper pipe).

Probably more practical to just use 1/4 tubes, since you'll only need about 170 feet.

• Beautiful still MOCS!

I put one large Copper scrubbie at the top. It discolors after 5-8 runs.

It also acts as a diffuser for the reflux back into the SPP. If I were able to keep my still setup all the time I might put it in a "T" so as to be able to clean it.

DAD... not yours.. ah, hell... I don't know...

• Ok, so a little longer then 2 days time as stated for Q&A and lessons learned but since arriving in MA I've been on the run eat, sleep, work schedule but I got the weekend off so I thought I'd catch on all things SD.

@what said: Wow MOCS that is truly beautiful, congratulations ! Can I just ask how thick the glass is in the column?

It is 7MM thick, I have a 120MM OD X 4 inches that is 9MM with a 14 MM hole drilled into the center of it to allow for a 1/4 NPT compression fitting for a thermal port.

@FullySilenced , @grim , @Myles, @dad @Smaug So many great ideas for adding copper, thank you. I am leaning to a 4 inch bottom catalyst filled with either 1/4 inch copper tubes as suggested by @grim or .035 - .040 copper SPP or even 1/4 inch copper tubing cut into rashig rings. However for now I'm just going add copper scrubby to the top of the of the Stainless SPP column and gain the diffuser as suggested by @dad and test this out first, I hate the thought of adding anymore height to this setup.

Wife called me and said the custom chiller from Henry showed up at the house on Friday, man I really wanted a crack at running it before I left! :-w

So far lesson's learned on the build;

Adding 2 inches to the condensing column bringing it to 14 inches would allow for easier fabrication of condensing coil and mounting.

The product condenser should have been fab'd out of a 2 inch sight glass rather than 1.5 to allow for more room for the inlet and outlet coolant ports on the end caps.

Automate SPP cutting as SPP is made, it's a real PITA cutting it after the fact. I used a 4 inch HF mighty mite table saw with diamond blade and it still was no fun.

That's it for now 43 days till I get back home.

MOCS

• I am not sure who is more anxious to see this build thru, you or all of us drooling at it MOCS.