StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

MOCS 4 Inch Crystal Modified BOK Build

Comments

• Do they make you turgid? Tumescent even? >:)

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @MOCS if you still wish to use a screen instead of a grid supported scrubber how about a slotted plate.

Lets say slots with a width of 80% dia of the SPP and far enough appart that the rib between the slots is strong enough to take the weight. You should be able to get at least 70% free area on the plate. Probably more if you cut a grid with some ribs at 90 degrees to the others.

Are slots harder to cut than holes?

• She CUMMING BOYS!!!!! AND SHE'S DEAD SEXY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO =P~

She'll be on stage by midnight.

Fat Bastard

The day you quit learning is the day you start dying!

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• Now don't be drooling all over the Stainless!

I know it's not a commandment but THOU SHALL NOT CONVENT THEY NEIGHBORS STILL, I think it will be one of the seven deadly sin's coming soon. LOL =))

No, please look her and let me know what you all think. I feel there are so many people that I need to thank, from all of SD to the nephew, brother in-law, to my good friends the welder and DAVE, @dad, GreatGlass who without all of you this would still be a pipe dream. OH and to all of you who have taken time out of your day to see how the build is coming, throw out a word of encouragement and or a suggestion or two.

1.jpg
    600 x 800 - 66K
    2.jpg
    600 x 800 - 77K
    3.jpg
    600 x 800 - 90K
    4.jpg
    600 x 800 - 57K
    5.jpg
    600 x 800 - 105K
    6.jpg
    600 x 800 - 75K
    7.jpg
    600 x 800 - 50K
    8.jpg
    600 x 800 - 75K
    9.jpg
    600 x 800 - 90K
    10.jpg
    600 x 800 - 88K
    11.jpg
    600 x 800 - 81K
    12.jpg
    600 x 800 - 71K
    13.jpg
    600 x 800 - 81K
    14.jpg
    600 x 800 - 80K
    15.jpg
    600 x 800 - 104K
    16.jpg
    600 x 800 - 80K

"I am an incurable gadgeteer, and I like enormously to set up a theory and then track down the consequences" Murray Leinster youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

• edited October 2014

That is fucking exceptional. Some covers on those rods will be a nice upgrade. Anodised alloy would look sexy as all fuck or even black chrome.

Only thing could possibly improve it would be one of those beautiful copper cored glass condensors from Rockchucker or whoever was building those.

That is one of the best looking stills i've ever seen mate. well done.

BetSnuffyWouldHaveLovedToHaveItPunkin

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• Incredible! :-bd

Your Place to be >>> www.StillDragon.org <<< Home of the StillDragon® Community Forum

• Beautiful work there MOCS!!!

I hope it produces as well as it looks. just fantastic.

• Really nice mate. Great effort.

• A total work of art. An amazing job.

• Very, very impressive. ^:)^

• Boinggggg.

+100 That thing is just beautiful.

The community at large would have cut your throat and left you for dead for the chance to have a rig like that just a few short years ago.

With this build I feel like you have raised the bar.

It is a show peice.

Tell us how she runs....seems like a whole bunch of SPP. If she don't flood 95 should be a walk in the park.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited October 2014

She would be Ms. July in the annual Stilldragon Pin Up Calendar.

Hope you've got wash ready, I want to see a video of this thing run.

• Incidently, I stopped in to see Henry getting your chiller together. The chiller controls are the cat's meow.

As a matter of interest, how much reserve water are you planning on maintaining?

• WOW - I think I have to faint! And please, look at the rollers on the feet of the boiler - so cute! ^:)^

StillDragon Europe - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Europe & the surrounding area

• A woman would notice the shoes. :D

• What else can I say MOCS. Outstanding! Run it and show us a video, Oh and BTW I am coveting that girl big time drooling so I can't type for fear of messing up my keyboard LOL =D> :))

• edited October 2014

I think the most stark thing is the complete lack of copper, blindingly clean, bright, sharp, precise. A whole new world!

• @grim said: She would be Ms. July in the annual Stilldragon Pin Up Calendar.

Hope you've got wash ready, I want to see a video of this thing run.

What a fantastic idea!!!!

I'm going to chat about this for sure. Lloyds got bugger all to do now the Ace of Hearts is getting the final touches, couple little orders to fill is all. :!!

Tween us all we should be able to get some photos organised for him to print up and get into our xmas orders. That shining beauty definitely deserves a spot. =D>

• Wow, thank you guy's for all the kind words as it means a lot to know all the time, effort and thought that goes into a project like this is actually appreciated by someone else besides yourself. ^:)^

Also a special thanks to @punkin for the great video clip as a introduction, you sir have to be the only man alive who has actually reached the end of the internet twice. Keep it up not sure where the hell you keep coming up with this hilarious stuff but mate it's great!

Ok, let's respond to some of the questions and inquiries of the past couple of days. Sorry I went into MIA status but this is what I needed to due to get her all put together.

@grim said: Why not use more surface area to spread the load? Also, while the % open area might not be any greater with larger surface area, the actual open area will be.

Instead of putting the filter disk on the 4" opening, why not put it on the other side of the reducer, on the 6" or 8" side? Too early to do math but putting the filter on a 6" opening should reduce the downward pressure by half on a unit basis, and going to 8" would reduce it by 4, on a unit basis. In addition, the surrounding support area at the rim is greatly enlarged as well, on the 8" side it would be double the linear distance, meaning half as much weight supported by the rim on a unit basis. Open area on the 8" would be 4 times greater than the 4", using the same % open.

It would require a bit more SPP to fill the reducer as well, but should only add nominal additional weight. Also, you may have more deflection. MOCS, why not use exactly the same style of filter plate that you'd developed, only with a thicker plate. However, machine the plate thickness down at the clamping edge so that it doesn't cause any deformation at the clamp joint. This should provide significant additional rigidity of the plate.

If it's too tough to solve the problem where it is, move the problem to a place it's easier to solve.
    :))

@grim I really like this idea but this would require using a different style reducer boiler connection as the current set up is a 4 inch ferrule press fit and welded into a 8 inch cap. I will have to look at a bowl style SD reducer and figure out how thick I can make the plate utilizing a 8 inch custom gasket to be able to wedge it in-between the 8 inch tri-clamp fittings or just permanently weld it in place. I would probably want to weld in a sight glass to watch for flooding within the reducer and I would need to pick up a dedicated vacuum as a means of retrieving the SPP from the column during configuration changes.

@Myles said: Not what I had in mind with the uncut lengths, but I suspect that filling the column with cut SPP would work better.

If you can use a pad of stainless scrubbers to support the SPP, then you can use a screen with 1" holes. More of a web i suppose as the screen just has to hold the weight and not stop the SPP falling through the holes.

Or a thicker plate with holes smaller than dia of the SPP but closer together, almost like mesh, just drilled not woven.

If you could trap the screen between the 8" ferrules it certainly would be stronger. Possibly a 1/4" thick plate sized to fit inside the bore of the 4" ferrule, but with a milled thinner extension to fit between the 8" ferrules?

Its a lot of work though - a simple grid to support a stainless scrubber will work.

@Myles, do have a concept for making a disk out uncut SPP? When I purchased my SPP that I used in my 2 inch column from Oden he sold me two disks for plugging the column to hold it in place. The disks were as you say made out of SPP the was mashed flat they work great and this would be perfect with the grid support you mention or maybe one could maybe make the disk the diameter of a CD gasket and weld a flange ring to the outside and inset into the gasket, it should then be strong enough to support 30 LBS of SPP even if you had to brazed it in a couple of spots.

@Myles said: MOCS if you still wish to use a screen instead of a grid supported scrubber how about a slotted plate.

Lets say slots with a width of 80% dia of the SPP and far enough appart that the rib between the slots is strong enough to take the weight. You should be able to get at least 70% free area on the plate. Probably more if you cut a grid with some ribs at 90 degrees to the others.

Are slots harder to cut than holes?

@Myles, as long as it can be laid out in CAD the CNC mill can do just about anything. This is another option to talk to the brother in-law about.

@punkin said: Do they make you turgid? Tumescent even? >:)

@punkin, now that's just showing off your vocabulary.

@punkin said: That is fucking exceptional. Some covers on those rods will be a nice upgrade. Anodised alloy would look sexy as all fuck or even black chrome.

Only thing could possibly improve it would be one of those beautiful copper cored glass condensors from Rockchucker or whoever was building those.

That is one of the best looking stills i've ever seen mate. well done.

BetSnuffyWouldHaveLovedToHaveItPunkin

@punkin, no pasties for yet mate, too many configuration change possibilities, besides I don't mind the industrial look the threaded rod gives but I could buff them out to make them gleam as they are stainless. :-? Can you point the way to the beautiful copper cored glass condenser post as I don't recall seeing this yet.

@Smaug said: Incidently, I stopped in to see Henry getting your chiller together. The chiller controls are the cat's meow.

As a matter of interest, how much reserve water are you planning on maintaining?

@Smaug, ya I believe the cooling set will be a winner, winner, chicken dinner. I spoke to him a couple of days ago, he said it was ready to ship but he was busy with getting boats ready for some big boat show so I told him to take care of his commitments on that end first. The cooling setup will be using a 55 gallon poly barrel, the water will continuously be pumped through the heat pump via a Pan World 480 gallon an hour pump. Coolant flow will utilize another pump and return to the top of barrel, the reservoir will work as a heat sink, temps will be monitored at the top and bottom of the barrel and the compressor will run according to the temp difference.

@Sunshine said: WOW - I think I have to faint! And please, look at the rollers on the feet of the boiler - so cute! ^:)^

@Sunshine,They are short term as a means of moving her around the shed/garage and will need to be upgraded

@grim said: I think the most stark thing is the complete lack of copper, blindingly clean, bright, sharp, precise. A whole new world!

@grim, will need to add some (copper) for sulfides what's to smallest amount do think one needs for a column this size?

And finally;

@captainshooch said: What else can I say MOCS. Outstanding! Run it and show us a video, Oh and BTW I am coveting that girl big time drooling so I can't type for fear of messing up my keyboard LOL =D> :))

@captianhooch, you pervert, you got the biggest harem around you should be ashamed of yourself! As the immortal Kerry Rogers said; Oh Ruby! "please don't take your love to town." LOL Oh and thanks for spelling covent correctly, I must have been playing hookie that day.

Thanks you'all MOCS

• Not sure mate, he hangs round on home distiller, Larry will be able to point a thread out. Prettiest condensers i ever saw with twisted copper tubes in glass.

• That is Mash Rookie Punkin. He is not doing very well these days and is no longer building.

• Ahhh, thanks mate.

• You can see the condenser @punkin was talking about here.

• What are we all waiting for?? Lets fire this thing UP!!

• Yeah MOCS! fire it up! lol I know you are still waiting on the chiller but what the heck, hook up a garden hose and let her rip! Oh, and please do take a video.

• Yeah MOCS you used to be fun:)

• Beautiful. =D>