StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• There are some Chinese food customs which are pretty appalling. Tortured dog/chicken/animal being at the top of the list. Don't look for the videos.

• We didnt have any appalling food. It was all good in one way or another. Just some i preferred over others.

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @grim said: This

:))
    That picture is awesome. We listen to This American Life all the time here. Good show.

• There are a quite few western food traditions that are pretty ghastly.

I think razor clams are my favorite too.
    Was the geoduck worth it? I’ve always wanted to try it but I can never convince someone to go halves (I don’t think I could finish a whole horse shlong).

Serving game birds with the head on is pretty traditional in Europe, feet too with grouse and partridge. Snipe they even use the beak to truss the bird. If you cut it off it just make another hole that you have to plug up.
    I’ve had cocks comb before.

image.jpg
    310 x 230 - 16K
  • edited July 2016

Chicken and vegie noodle soup, steamed parsley and lemon dumplings.

Because, cold.

chickendumplingsoup.jpg
    800 x 600 - 64K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited July 2016

The goeduck was good.
    Sliced very thin in a dipping sauce of soy and Wasabi

20160711_182152.jpg
    600 x 800 - 96K

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited August 2016

This might be of interest to someone.

Beef Short Ribs Your Way @ ChefSteps

2 Days @ 60°C followed by a stinking hot grill over charcoal then dump a heap of fresh chimichurri on it and I think that'll make my last meal list.
    Maybe magic banana fritters for dessert :-?

• I have a smoked Dutch sausage for my breakfast called Rookwurst. It's pretty damn good.

• jezjez
    edited August 2016

2.5 kg pork butt going in my smoker this morning.

pork_butt.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
  • Yum, on my way shortly to pick up three pigs, 2 we'll cut into bits and the third is for a mate who is going to spit it whole.

Wanting to do a shoulder or two into pulled pork in the smoker.

• awesome id love to learn to do that sort of thing.. bloody expensive going to the butcher these days

• Speaking of pork butts...
    I saw something today that I wish I had time to take a picture of, without being indelicate:
    At the local big box grocery they have frozen, cryo-packed pork butt on sale for $1.59/lb. They are displayed in a big bin sitting on the floor level of a glassed door reach in freezer. On the glass door is a big sign proclaiming PORK BUTT $1.59 per pound.

As I walked past the freezer there was a woman sorting through the selection, bent over at the waist so all you could see was her bottom half. And quite an ample bottom it was. I estimate close to two ax handles wide.

That display with the sale sign over it had me rolling in the next isle over with laughter.

I think if she had caught me taking the picture she would have kicked my ass.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• edited August 2016

Got a split chook from Aldi's that was marinated in a Morrocan marinade yesterday to try the new Q out. Some jacket potatoes with butter, salt and pepper.

I don't think i've ever had a bbq i've been so impressed with. The fan mod i was contemplating to increase airflow for quick grilling will not be needed, the coals lit and burnt with a very good heat for direct grilling. The bone in split chook took about 40-50 mins i guess and was cooked perfectly.

The most impressive thing was the actual BBQ flavour. I've been doing these over charcoal for a year or so on the little kettle, and also on a split keg charcoal Q and never got the smoky BBQ flavour anywhere near as intense as last nights cook. I do believe it's because of the greater heat coming from a greater distance making the chicken drip onto the coals without major flareups and not having to worry about the skin burning.

I'm converted i have to say and looking forward to learning how to drive this thing. Looking forward also to my first low and slow and comparing it to my offset stick burner. I'm thinking it's possible the offset will be partially obsolete.

Very interested in tips or links to extra reading on learning how to run it.

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 76K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 108K
    3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 67K
    4.jpg
    800 x 600 - 135K

• @punkin how's that grill differently from a Weber or other kettle?

• I don't think it is different. It's high quality by the feel of it, the enamel seems perfect, heavy and warranted for 3 years. Comes with all the mods, water pan, ash catcher, lid holder, heat shield for indirect cooking etc.

I just have never owned a Kettle before except for my little baby dodgy one that i use for a satay grill.

Big learning curve for me and i could do with some tips. I will learn though as we eat grilled meat 3 or 4 times a week.

• I pumped a 4kg boned shoulder with the coppa after the ugliest string job ever yesterday. Apple and Peach juice was the main injection liquid component. Spread with rub this morning and it's into the 'weber' at 6am with a charcoal snake and i'm learning to drive it. Certainly doesn't take much airflow to get it climbing.

I also skinned a small hand from one of the Large Black pigs we cut up last weekend and did it in a Char Sui marinade. I'll put that in later and low and slow it to see how it goes in pork buns (if it gets that far).

Been youtubing the pulled pork stuff and i think i've got a fair handle on it. Just hoping the kettle proves less work to keep steady than my offset.

• edited August 2016

5 hrs in and sitting on 145F internal. Looking good (ignore the string job) and time to put the Chinese BBQ hand on. Really impressed with how well the kettle holds temp with the snake going. It's not set and forget but there's no where near as much monitoring as the offset.

porkpulled1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 106K
    porkchinesebbq1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 91K

• edited August 2016

Some chicken thighs on the Kamado. A simple rub to start then finished with some Sweet Baby Ray's sauce. Turned out a treat. :|

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 96K
    2.jpg
    800 x 450 - 109K
  • Need one of those...

• edited August 2016

+100%

Yeah looks amazing.

My favorite thing about the dark meat is that you can keep it on low heat for much longer and not fear that your over cooking it as easy as the white meat.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• edited August 2016

I always thought that Kickin Bourbon was the best of the Sweet Baby Rays sauces. Then i got the Honey Chipotle and i'm not so sure.

Well a 12 hour cook to reach temp and a 1 hour rest and i broke my pulled pork cherry. I'll be doing this again (i've been told) and i'm impressed with the left overs or how many a shoulder would feed. Dunno how i'd do it for a lunch time do though unless maybe cook the day before and reheat in sous vide?

Pics don't do it justice for the amount of meat we got from the shoulder. We haven't used the hand yet but it will be stripped and go into Chinese BBQ Pork Buns.

porkchinesebbq2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 125K
    porkpulled2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 147K

• edited August 2016

The first meal from the Chinese BBQ Pork was pork in Plum Sauce with fried rice.

porkchinesebbq3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 77K

• Your fried rice (called fryrice around here) looks good. What spices/sauces do you use when you make it?

• The pork looks good too!

• Sesame oil and a splash of soy is all. I use some french shallot from the garden and a little garlic, bacon, carrot, peas, prawns and egg.

It's very basic, but made with Jasmine rice that's steamed in the rice cooker with star anise and slices of ginger so the rice itself is quite fragrant.

• Mine is almost exactly the same but the trick with jasmine rice is to use it cold . Same with all fried rice but more important with Jasmin. The older i get the more i am heading towards Japanese style of eating rice by itself with little flavouring where as before the rice was underneath soaking up the juices.

• I agree, i cook the rice earlier in the day and have it in the fridge. I also use a little less water if it's destined for fried rice and i watch the rice cooker, take it out immediately it switches to keep warm from cook and let it steam dry before putting it in the fridge.

• edited August 2016

I use all that, corn niblets, and a dash or two of oyster sauce. Not too fond of peas, so they don't make the cut. Snow peas do on occasion.

The base rice has to be at least a day old. Two days mo bettah. In a pinch I'll freeze the rice, then thaw it out if I don't have two-day-old on hand. I always have a rice bowl aging in my frige at home. Young rice makes gooey fryrice.

Fryrice here is like what jambalaya is back in the South. A rice meal catch-all for leftovers. But boy I do loves my fryrice. I'll eat it for any meal or snack.

• You don't put spam it do you?