StillDragon® Community Forum

Welcome!

Be part of our community & join our international next generation forum now!

In this Discussion

Foodie - The Food Thread - For Our Food Lovers!

Comments

• edited June 2016

Our northern waters Hussar are similar but i dont remember them having a yellow tail. If you want snapper come to the southern cold waters of South Australia for real snapper.

Mind you i like them most when they are just legal at 38cm and can be done in whole in wok with chinese batter or steamed with ginger etc but they are good big for fillets or baked whole. Like bream.

Daughter with grandies - we only got one that day and she got it so we still hear about it. At times if you hit a good patch you could fill the boat in minutes - other times just the odd stray. Like all fishing depends on how much effort you want to put in to score.

image.jpg
    533 x 800 - 84K
  • Gold band is pretty similar in the warmer stuff.
    Nothing like hooking up to a huge thumper though. Love it.
    Agree on the ginger too. Steamed with ginger, soy and some shaoxing.
    Finish with coriander and sliced, spring onions piled on top and a large spoon of smoking hot oil over the green stuff to scare the flavour out of it.

• edited June 2016

Never been a big fan of whole fish although i'll have to whip up some enthusiasm for China. There's one at every meal.

We get really good snapper on the NSW coast too, not the thumpers you guys get regularly in SA, but 6-12kg models regularly on the North Coast around @rossco 's stomping ground where i used to fish a lot, and down round Seal Rocks/Nelson Bay as well.

Gotta be smart to get em though and soft plastics are the best bet.

Our snapper aren't Lutjanids though we have plenty of very good ones of those with the Red Emporer at the top.

bigsnapnet3.jpg
    800 x 600 - 66K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• edited June 2016

fishandprawns1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 82K

StillDragon Australia & New Zealand - Your StillDragon® Distributor for Australia & New Zealand

• @punkin said: Never been a big fan of whole fish although i'll have to whip up some enthusiasm for China. There's one at every meal.

Why the fuck to the waiters keep giving me a fish knife when I'm not eating a whole fish?!?

firstworldproblems

• @jacksonbrown

That recipe is exactly to the T how its done.

And small whole fish in eggwhite batter fried in the wok second best though probably best for pure fish flavor.

Punkin I bet you will get plenty both ways in China. Forget the fish knife there as it will be chopsticks all the way.

• Whole fish is served all the time round these parts. Not my favorite. Not too fond of food with bones in it that you can't use for a handle.

I'm more like I am now than I was before.

• You'd hate China then. I think the only thing we had last time without bones was Tofu and maybe the obligatory peanuts. Not even sure about the tofu, it may have had small bones.

I had an iced coffee once over there and it certainly had bones. I was expecting a milk drink, took a big slug and it was a black coffee refrigerated.
    Got a drink out of a water fountain at the train station and boiling water came out.

• Doesn't tofu have toe bones in it?

• I've had some really tasty whole fish. You use your fork like a rake to pull the meat away from the bones.

I vastly prefer a good boneless fillet or steak cut though.

• Yes sure, we always ate em as kids, we weren't the best at filleting and it's the only way to eat a flounder/sole. But like you i like a fillet. It's more i think that i don't like baked fish than whole fish.
    We had some great whole fried fish in China too.
    The freshwater ones were a bit ordinary though.

• Whole fish is fantastic but there's a correct way to do it (and it isn't raking). First follow the lateral line and ease the first 'loin' off leaving all the dorsal bones behind.
    Then do the same for the ventral side. If done correctly, on a perfectly cooked fish, the ribs and even the pin bones will stay on the spine.
    Then pick up the tail and pull the entire skeleton away from the fillets on the underside leaving a boneless fillet.
    It's a more complicated on some fish types but I still manage. All the best stuff has the bones in :D

• Also filleting flounder is very easy, then roll up the fillets to cook (paupiettes)

• Yes it's easy but it's wasteful.

• The four fillet method?
    They taste better whole anyway. We get the steamed ginger flounder from Victoria St quite regularly.

• with fish, find the perfect internal temp... tilapia, most other fish, 141F, hogfish is a crazy high 170F, turn off the oven and let them coast up to hit it... get 2x the meat off of a small fish versus fileting...

• jezjez
    edited July 2016

first ever slow cooked leg of lamb in my offset smoker

1.jpg
    800 x 600 - 81K
    2.jpg
    800 x 600 - 73K
  • Looks great.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Looks fantastic is what it looks.

• Thanks I would have to say it's the best roast lamb I've ever done

• New fave seafood.

image.jpg
    800 x 600 - 68K
  • Goose neck barnacles, didn't even know you could eat them!

• They could have done something a little more appealing with the presentation - like a fifth of vodka.

• @grim said: They could have done something a little more appealing with the presentation - like a fifth of vodka.

Lol....looks like a plate full of my Uncle Daryl's big toe....True story.

StillDragon North America - Your StillDragon® Distributor for North America

• Finish off with a fantastic pedro.

• Brave person who first gave those a try, "Hmmm... a clam with a rock hard woody! I wonder what THAT tastes like?"

• The first guy to try those was just hungry. The first guy to drink cows milk had issues.

• edited July 2016

@jacksonbrown said: The first guy to drink cows milk had issues.

What? Cows enjoy a bit of foreplay just like anyone else . . . I'm told.

Zymurgy Bob, a simple potstiller

my book, Making Fine Spirits

• edited July 2016

There has been so much great food in China this trip. I thought we ate well last time but this trip every meal has been exceptional.

Every meal has had me tasting something I've never had before either a spice, a method or an ingredient.

Im not much onto taking pics of meals that others have cooked im sorry, but hopefully i can post a couple pics from my phone.

20160707_123132.jpg
    600 x 800 - 39K